I didn't know where to post this,

2»

Replies

• emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Having kids got me to quit after 5 years of smoking. It took me 3 tries. I would stop for a few days and then pick it up again. Finally it just stuck.
  • HisangelG
    HisangelG Posts: 96 Member
    My Dr prescribed chantix. That was two years ago. Have not had one since dec 1, 2010. I made stress balls to keep my hands busy when I wanted a ciggie. I tried to stop cold turkey, patch, gum. Could not do it. If your insurance will cover it, I recommend it. If so, do the entire three months, not just one or two for better success rate.

My husband and in laws smoke. I get tempted, I will admit it.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    I quit a couple times a year :smile: The longest I've stuck it out for was 5 months. I really and truly want to quit. I know it's easier said than done, OP. Probably no one but another smoker understands how hard it is, that disconnect between wanting to do it and just doing it already, if you know what I mean. LIke someone above said, WHAT am I supposed to do now? The last time I quit was March of this year for 1 month and that was exactly what I would think to myself. What do I do now? Seems so silly unless you're living it.

Here are the reasons I want to quit in no particular order - maybe something will resonate with you.

-Money.
    -The odor (I actually hate the smell of second-hand smoke and I am a smoker. How much do I bother the nonsmokers?)
    -The time-wasting aspect.
    -I've started running and can run for 30 minutes without coughing. Afterwards is another story. Plus, how much faster could I run if I quit??
    -Heart disease runs in my family - losing weight and quitting smoking doesn't mean this won't happen to me anyway, but I'd rather think it was just my genetic fate than think that I did it to myself.
    -Lost a family member to cancer a few years ago so I got to see that horror up close and personal. It was a brain tumor, no doctor could give an exact cause. Again, I know quitting doesn't guarantee me a cancer-free future, but I can't stand to imagine how my family or I would feel if my habits were to blame. Also, it was hell on earth for my relative and I don't want to increase my odds of that kind of slow horrible death.
    -Truthfully when I smoke, I feel kind of sick. It isn't enjoyable. I don't smoke indoors so it seems I'm either freezing to death or burning up for half the year having to go outside to do it.
    -My loved-ones hate that I do it.
    -I get frequent sinus infections and smoke anyway which makes my face and head ache even more.

There are really only 2 reasons I haven't tried again since earlier this year. One is wondering if I will succeed but gain back all the weight I've lost so far. The other is fear of failure.

I wish you luck!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Smoking is not just the physical addiction, nicotine can be replaced as others have said by patches, tablets, gum, inhalators etc.
    Personally I find the inhalators the most useful because it mimics the act so you feel like you have had a cigarette but it keeps your lungs free of all the harmful smoke.

What is also really really hard is the ingrained habit of WHEN you smoke. It is about breaking that routine as well. Try cutting one cigarette at a time. For instance stop having one every time you answer the phone. Then when you have cracked that try cutting the one with coffee. Keep doing this until the habits are broken

It is much much more difficult if your partner and friends smoke though.

I try and try to quit, the longest I lasted was 2 years then my dad died and I reached for the *kitten* again. Stress is my trigger, I will be fine and then something happens and I reach for the *kitten*. This time it was a new job, I had quit for a few weeks and was feeling good, then got a new job which was and still is quite stressful at times and although I love it, I find myself outside pacing up and down and smoking, I try to keep it to a minimum. I smoke between 5 and 10 a day depending on how stressed I feel.

But new year is coming and I am gearing myself up to have another go, sometimes you just have to keep trying and trying until it works.

Of course quitting completely is the ideal, to never smoke again is the ultimate goal, but any break or reduction in smoking is better than full on smoking.

Good luck to all smokers who are trying to quit, keep trying.
  • chelseabuns88
    chelseabuns88 Posts: 77 Member
    I know how you feel, I never ever wanted to be a 'smoker'.. I used to just smoke every so often, then whenever I had a drink, then when I went out anywhere with friends who smoked, then at work.. until I was a full blown smoker.. it crept up on me!

Why I like smoking;
    90% of my friends smoke
    Gives me something to do when I'm waiting for something (train/bus/friend)
    I enjoy it, especially with coffee

Why I don't like smoking;
    Smell
    Cost
    Health risks (my paternal granddad died of lung cancer when I was a baby, in his late 50's, my maternal granddad was very ill with lung cancer for over 7 years, then died of throat cancer before his 65th birthday).
    Sometimes it makes me feel really sick and lightheaded

I changed my routine recently and cut out the smoking.. cutting down does not work, it really doesn't.. you just have to have the willpower to say no! I'm sure the patches and stuff help for some.. not for me. The electric cigarettes look really good..

I haven't smoked for almost 2 weeks and have no desire to do so at the moment =)
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    99% of successful quiters will tell you to JUST STOP. Those are the ones who have stopped and never went back. Its just about the only way to do it. No crutch, no going back.. knowing you did it ON YOUR OWN. Its quite powerful knowing you tackled that on your own.. for me, it gave me the boost to know i could tackle my weight.. and im doing that too! No setbacks, no weight gains.. im kicking this crap in the *kitten* because now, I KNOW I CAN!

Just do it ;)

yup!!!! every time i used the patch or used the gum i went back. After i threw my ciggs away i knew i meant it :)
  • OK... tough love time:

Not only are you damaging own body by smoking but you're damaging your child's body... Google smoking effects on children. You don't have to smoke around them for your actions to impact them. Just having the smell on you (and lets be honest, smokers smell) your kiddo is breathing that in. As a parent who loves their child, that should be enough to motivate you. I smoked, I quit, I smoked and was on the same cycle for years. As soon as I found out I was pregnant I was done with it and so was my husband. It's one thing to damage yourself when you aren't responsible for another person but you're being selfish - because you want one or are scared or its hard - by continuing to smoke. I quit cold, my husband quit with Chantix (several weeks later). Do whatever you need to do to quit but seriously, contemplating quitting doesn't cut it. You know you should quit so grow a set and DO IT!

And let's not even go into the price of smoking a pack a day (x2 if your husband smokes that much too)... my goodness the cost!
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    I love to smoke. I think about it, dream about it, smell the smoke when I walk by. But I quit 5 years ago. I say that because occsionally I think of it fondly not addictively.

I quit because my grandson was afraid for me and ask me to quit several times. I told him I would quit for him but not for me only if he would help me. I took chantix and had zero side effects, and quitting was as if I had never smoked. It did not then or now bother me to be around smokers. My desire was gone. When I was around smokers my grandson (11 at the time) would come up and quietly slip his hand into mine. I would look down at his face and remember why I was glad I quit. And not wanting him to be around the smoke, we would leave the area. I have never looked back. I didn't quit because I wanted to and I do not miss it.

i do not think about it fondly only but once in a while and then only for a minute and then it is forgotten. I was 51 and had smoked since I was 13. ending at pack an a half a day.

Look into the chantix, You will hear horrible side effects. But not eveyone gets those, if they did no one would take it. And you can take Anti Depressants while you are on it and you can stop it anytime. You smoke the first week you are taking it. I didn't want to smoke after 3 days so I didn't.
  • I love to smoke. I think about it, dream about it, smell the smoke when I walk by. But I quit 5 years ago. I say that because occsionally I think of it fondly not addictively.

So very true... something we have to deal with. I really, really enjoyed smoking.
  • Chelkb
    Chelkb Posts: 65 Member
    It's been 7 1/2 years since I quit. My motivation was the death of my mother and the birth of my first child three months later. I knew that if those two life altering events couldn't make me quit, nothing would. I knew that I would die young like my mom, not be around to raise my son and have a myriad of health problems that I would inherently pass on to my child. I quit cold turkey. It wasn't easy but if your motivation is strong enough, you can do it. Btw, I still have dreams where I smoke. I also really loved it.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    EON CIG
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    When you have a "made up mind" Just quit! Cold turkey.
    It is not easy but it works!!
    Been smoke free since March.
    You CAN do it. Good luck!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    One day I decided to quit. And then I did.

The smell actually bothers me now. I think the desire to quit just built up and built up and I just wanted to more and more and then one day I did. I didn't use any smoking cessation aids, nor did I quell cravings with food. Just like with weight loss I decided to do it, stopped making excuses and went about my life as if I was never a smoker. Believe that you can do it and that doing it will be the best thing you've ever done for yourself and those around you. And then believe that with all of your heart even more strongly.