Couch 2 5k

Options
I am new to my fitness pal, but so far I really like it. I have been tracking my eating and realize I eat 2300-2500 calories per day. Way too much. So now it's time to make the transition to a healthier lifestyle - not a diet. I'm starting couch 2 5k today. A nine week program to prepare me to run a 5k. Any takers?

Replies

• lindylamey
    Options
    I started today too the first week of couch to 5k!!!
  • JeanneJeanne
    JeanneJeanne Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm in and looking forward to actually running an entire 5k! :)
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Just finished my C25K today. Ran 3.1 miles straight. 2300-2500 is not way too much though. If you are exercising, then you aren't too far off. Research TDEE.
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Doing Week 5 Day 2 tonight.... it's awesome.
  • nannweeks
    nannweeks Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm in...starting tonight!!
  • Sherlease0208
    Sherlease0208 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I completed day one this morning, it was a little intense, but i made it. I work out often, but never the treadmill, running is hard for me. Tonight Im going to body pump. Question: how did you track your exercise for C25k, because, i wasnt running the entire time - it was a 30 minute workout I estimated about 280 calories burned
  • bronnibee
    Options
    I'm in
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    There is a C25K group on here, great place to ask questions.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    whats wrong with eating so much? your a runner get used to it.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should research your TDEE and cut from there. MFP told me to eat 1200 calories and I nearly passed out (before exercising). I'm 5'2", 120lbs and I'm currently at about 1670 net and I eat back most/all of my exercise calories.

I'm about halfway through Couch to 5K but keep forgetting to bring my printout with me and don't like the app so I'm kind of making it up as I go. I'm at the point where I do my warm up/cool down walks and the rest is about 2/3 running, 1/3 walking at 6mph running, 4mph walking on the treadmill.

Feel free to add me - I'm on every day :)
  • rockingcvranch
    Options
    I'm interested. Where do I find the Couch 2 5K training plan?
  • newcs
    Options
    I completed day one this morning, it was a little intense, but i made it. I work out often, but never the treadmill, running is hard for me. Tonight Im going to body pump. Question: how did you track your exercise for C25k, because, i wasnt running the entire time - it was a 30 minute workout I estimated about 280 calories burned

I found the only way for me to accurately gauge it was a heart rate monitor. If you don't have one and aren't planning to get one, try breaking it down by minutes spent at each speed (which should be pretty easy with a treadmill). Before I got mine, I would plug in the # minutes at 4mph and # minutes at 6mph and let MFP calculate it. For many people, that's too high of a number but once i got my HRM I realized it was actually higher on the HRM than MFP for me.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Or if you enjoy web ads http://www.c25k.com/
  • Sherlease0208
    Options
    I downloaded it to my ipad, but you can download to your phone, ipad, ipod or google couch to 5k and print the program
  • Sherlease0208
    Options
    thanks for the info i looked into TDEE at it calculated 2063 calories - so im not too far off just eating the WRONG things too many snacks and candy im looking into healthier options
  • newcs
    Options
    thanks for the info i looked into TDEE at it calculated 2063 calories - so im not too far off just eating the WRONG things too many snacks and candy im looking into healthier options

If you ever need snack ideas, feel free to check out my diary (it's open). I'm a snackaholic but I almost always stay within my calorie budget except for cheat days.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I start week 5 today.

...my poor thighs. I'm so sorry for what I'm going to do to you. Forgive me.
  • mrsjesstaylor
    mrsjesstaylor Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'm in. I actually used to run cross country but gained around 50 pounds in the past few years after moving across the country for a pretty time consuming and stressful job.

I just got married last week and we are planning on a beach honeymoon in July. I want to get back in running shape :) I actually started C25k three weeks ago but plan on downloading the C210k app when I'm done. It's awesome!!!
  • JeanneJeanne
    JeanneJeanne Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I did day 1.

"The longest journey begins with a single step."
    Lao Tsu