Starting to get discouraged...

I have been losing 1-2 lbs per week fairly consistently for the past 10 weeks, and I have lost an inch off my hips and waist, however I have gained half an inch in my arms and thighs. I have been doing 30 day shred 3-4 days a week. Why am I gaining inches, am I gaining muscle? I want to lose several inches everywhere so this is a concern. Any input wuld be great, thanks

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Are you absolutely certain you are measuring in the same place every time?
  • ^^agreed with that, and also, it can be muscle growing since 30 day shred uses a lot of your own body weight. don't get discouraged! remember to thin how much better you feel since starting! think about the non-scale victories as well as the measuring tape.
  • Sounds like you're gaining muscle :)

I lose weight really really slowly, and if I measured everything by the scale I would go crazy! I say well done on the 11lbs lost, and to losing inches off your waist and hip, and well done too for gaining the half inch - I'm sure, if you're measuring it right, it must be muscle.

I bet you're improving on the 30DS as well! Sounds like you're doing well. Keep going, I reckon!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    ^^agreed with that, and also, it can be muscle growing since 30 day shred uses a lot of your own body weight. don't get discouraged! remember to thin how much better you feel since starting! think about the non-scale victories as well as the measuring tape.

Yea, you can't gain muscle doing 30DS (its too much cardio), especially while you are on a calorie deficit. So it's either water retention (muscle inflammation) or mis-measuring.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    I gained weight then lost those 4lbs plus 9 more, I was going to give up and stuck it out.I am actually doing it again for the next 30 days because I love how my body is shaping up ") Good luck doll!
  • TammyKeaten
    TammyKeaten Posts: 61 Member
    Thanks all, I will keep on moving!
  • as mentioned, measuring the same part of your arm (or any body part for that matter) is essential.

First, you are doing wonderfully!!! look at you! you're doing great, and losing the weight at a healthy constant.

Now, i want you to think about this. Your body is most likely gaining muscle, and once the fat melts away you'll have beautifully sculpted arms. having muscle helps burn fat even when your not moving not to mention how strong you'll be and how good you'll look.

keep going! you're doing everything right, no reason to feel discouraged! it's a slow, worthwhile process!