Guilt

AngelaRae23
AngelaRae23 Posts: 24
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Now, I'm not sure if this is just the way *I* think or if anyone else feels the same?

I always feel incredibly guilty when I eat. I know that I need to eat, I know that my body needs a certain amount of calories, but whenever I eat the 1200 or so calories my body "needs", i feel like I've overeaten, I feel disgusting, heavy, and guilty for eating. I feel like if I eat 1200 calories, I'll never lose the weight I want. I don't know why I think or feel this way, but I'm wondering if I'm alone in this, or if anyone else thinks/feels like me ?

I struggle to eat 1200 calories, I really do. I just find that when I eat the 1200, I don't lose anything, and I just feel "GROSS".

Am i abnormal ?

Replies

• Well, first off, is 1200 the amount MFP has given you daily??

You could be losing nothing because you are under-eating, over-excercising or possibly even not exercising enough.

As for feeling guilty.. I felt that way about food and KNEW I was on the edge of an eating disorder... It's not NORMAL.....and I know, no one is "normal" but feeling guilty about eating the bare minimum is a disordered eating tendency. I still get that way sometimes...

I would say, you are "normal" in the sense that other people have felt that way and most certainly DO feel that way about food... However, the notion that 1200 calories could make you feel gross (assuming its not all crap) IS abnormal. Maybe you should talk to a friend about it.. or send someone you trust here a message.. Good luck!
  • Thankyou for the advice. I hate feeling that way, but I realize it could potentially lead to problems, so I always make sure that I eat the recommended calories. The recommended for me is 1200. I guess I have a love/hate relationship with food ... well, I knew that, but sometimes I wonder what I'm supposed to do about that feeling.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,206 Member
    I think its important that you recognize that you feel that way. A lot of people might to see that it is a problem to feel that way. I love each little morsal of food I get to eat. My sister had an eating disorder for years when I was younger and I saw her really struggle to eat. She goes to therapy and is on anti-depressents which have really worked for her. Ask your doctor about it!
  • Alot of people suffer from emotional eating or guilt while they are eating. Unfortunately that is the normal! But your young and I'm not sure on how much weight you want to lose if any at all but I suggest talking to someone that can help you face your issues before you do wind up with an eating disorder. I'm not trying to say that your crazy or anything, I totally understand that but it's a good idea to figure out whats really causing your hate towards food so you can enjoy your life! Good luck.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    I feel guilty, still... knowing I 'need' to eat my calories and feeling so full afterwards doesn't seem right but I've lost at a surprising rate so I'm becoming a believer. I still have issues filling my food diary to meet the caloric requirements as I look at it say OMG - all that food!

But keep eating your quota and it will work. Heck forever, it seems all anyone said about losing weight was "eat less". Well, we don't need to as we all know now about the starvation mode and that our bodies require a basic minimum of food. :flowerforyou: So, I would say you aren't alone... normal? I can't answer that one.... Can anyone say they are normal??? :laugh: Hang in there and keep eating your calorie allotment. It will work. :glasses:
This discussion has been closed.