The wonders of Magnesium

Options
2»

Replies

• monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    before anyone starts buying up magnesium and popping them like candy, please read up and consider hypermagnesemia
    It's actually pretty rare from what I read. I know a friend was told by her doctor to take between 400-500 mg per day for migraines. That's what I take (and what I read was the dose in a medical study done by either the air force or army - can't remember - have to hunt for that one). Anyway, it works really well for keeping migraines away. I actually researched it and discovered that many water softener systems remove Magnesium from the water you drink in your homes so basically, it's a common deficiency to have which means taking it can be a good idea. I had migraines and tinnitus and it helped me quite a bit and reduced the noise levels so my hearing is now not so overshadowed by hissing sounds.

Monica
    Thank you Monica for posting this. I would love to find anything to help my migraines. I use to get them 2-3 times a week. When
    I exercise a lot (2-3 hours of walking min.) then I don't get them. When I don't, they come back. :sad:

Have you been tested for any allergies? I know that the magnesium helps me but what surprised me the most was when I went Gluten free due to my wheat allergy. I hadn't realized that it was making my headaches worse. I think sometimes it's a combination of things. I found for me the magnesium and removing wheat made a difference. I know for some people, peanuts or chocolate trigger them (sometimes only their combination does it - I have a friend - mix the two and INSTANT migraine). The magnesium does help with holding them back though. :)
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I use handmade magnesium lotion and epsom salt baths for muscle cramps I get at night and it helps out a lot.
  • shenanigansmo
    shenanigansmo Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 different doctors recommend that I take magnesium. My GI doc said it's great to keep me regular for my IBS. My gyno said it's great for monthly related headaches, fatigue, and cramping. My neurologist said it's great for migraines.

With that being said. The only vitamins I take are B12 and a combination pill of Calcium, Magnesium, and Zinc. I keep my vitamins at work so I remember to take them every time I open my drawer to get a pen. I can definitely tell a difference in my body on weekends when i forget to take it. I love magnesium!