Who Allows Themselves a "FREE DAY"?

Options
paxbfl
paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
Just curious who else out there does this. I agree with the concept... by allowing yourself one day to eat whatever you want, you can stick to your diet more religiously the other 6 days - and keep doing it for a long time to come.

I find that after my free day (which was yesterday), I feel so crappy that I can't wait to eat healthy again. That feeling usually lasts all week until the next free day, when I start getting excited thinking about what crappy food I'm going to "treat" myself with (only to ultimately feel gross again).

Some would say, "Why not just eat healthy all the time?" which is a perfectly legitimate question. I guess for me the answer is I'm not ready to do that yet. I need that relief valve, that chance to reward myself while simultaneously reminding myself why I don't eat those foods every day any more. The other question is "why not eat these treats in moderation all week long?" I think this is a very dangerous suggestion - I'd rather avoid them entirely than try to moderate. Way too dangerous to even open that carton of ice cream.

Replies

• meganrpelican
    meganrpelican Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I watch people i work with who are also dieting eat anyting they want on their free day and i think itsa terrible idea. Even in one day you could eat back your entire progress for the week. These are the people who are on diets forever and never lose weight. I think rather than a free day eat one thing you really love each day and balance your other food to accomadate. Three terrible meals in one day can really kill progress.
  • jhassan1980
    jhassan1980 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I do this too and usually regret it. I try to only allow myself a cheat meal and not go crazy all day.
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I follow almost the exact pattern. But what I am finding is the more I have the free days, the less I enjoy them. Kind of like reverse psychology. I am now to the point I can't stomach the smells of most fast food. My husband still eats it, so I pick it for him, but I usually get nauseous on the way home from the smell. I am looking forward to retraining my body AND my brain to eat better. Feed myself healthy fuel over junk. I will keep having hi days as often as I want ( as long as I maintain at least a balance or lose. It just helps retrain my brain to focus on good food 80% of the time, a and treats 20% if I didn't do this, I would keep some idealistic view of these foods and miss them and eventually cave, binge, and feel awful emotionallly.
  • paxbfl
    Options
    I watch people i work with who are also dieting eat anyting they want on their free day and i think itsa terrible idea. Even in one day you could eat back your entire progress for the week. These are the people who are on diets forever and never lose weight. I think rather than a free day eat one thing you really love each day and balance your other food to accomadate. Three terrible meals in one day can really kill progress.

This hasn't been my experience. Including exercise, I usually have a deficit of around 1,200 calories every day except my free day (BMR is 2500, +500 calories burned at the gym, eat about 1800 calories). 1200*6=7200 calories - just over 2 pounds. On my free day, I have a calorie surplus of around 1,000 calories - (BMR is 2500, no exercise, eat around 3500 calories). So I net at a deficit of 6,200 calories - just under 2 pounds.

I'm losing closer to 3 pounds a week, so I may be conservative on my total calories burned (I don't always include activities like yard work in my calculations).

In any event, the free day isn't slowing me down. But it is encouraging me to stick with the program.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Just had my free day.......the next one is June 6, 2014.....I'm getting excited already.
  • paxbfl
    Options
    I follow almost the exact pattern. But what I am finding is the more I have the free days, the less I enjoy them.

I agree completely. For me I think it gets back to the idea of finding happiness in food. I look forward to that "treat" every week and then when I have it I'm (usually) so disgusted that I don't know why I even wanted it. I like the idea of "retraining" my brain. It could use some retraining! :)
  • SiempreBella
    SiempreBella Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I give my self a free day. It keeps me from going crazy.
  • jonmico
    jonmico Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just fit it into my macros.
  • kimmiangel
    Options
    Personally I do not allow myself a "Free Day". Though if I know I am going to make some non-healthy choices because of an event or eating out with friends (something like that) I also do not beat myself up about it and get right back on track the next day. That seems to be working for me anyhow. :) But in the end I really do think you have to do what you can adopt into your lifestyle, and works for you. :)
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I do not have a free day, but I allow myself to have a reasonable portion of junk food everyday. (One serving of chips, ice cream, a cookie, some days just an extra serving of fruit ect.) I usually save it for the end of the day and it always fits in my calories. It works for me, eating well never feels like a chore and I never feel deprived. Whenever I don't net high enough I use my remaining calories to eat junk food.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a free meal, once every two weeks usually. I'll get chinese food or something.
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    nope...no cheat day or cheat meal as such for me...

i just eat clean 95 percent of the time and i have a life that doesnt revolve around my "diet"...

if we go out i eat what i want, but ive usually pre-planned for a healthy choice from the menu...

i feel like crap if i eat badly for any length of time, tired, fatigued and just generally ****ty...

having a cheat day is only going to set you up for failure in the long run...eat clean, be mindful, watch your portions and LIVE!!!
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    It's counterproductive to a lifestyle change!
  • Kellielkeller
    Options
    I allow myself a cheat meal the day I weigh in and then I keep it clean the rest of the week.. It helps to not feel deprived:) Do what works for you.
  • TayPat24
    TayPat24 Posts: 131
    Options
    I did yesterday and as soon as I finished eating I regretted it and kicked my butt today, I think it works great for me, but that may just be me
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I don't have a "free day" necessarily where I don't track, but I do allow myself more on either Fridays or Saturdays, like dining out with friends or parties, etc. Because I still track, I eat less than I used to, and I still avoid empty calorie bombs like bread, chips, soda, etc.

I follow Weight Watchers, and they allow a daily amount (points which are basically the same thing as calories), as well as a weekly amount. This makes the plan very livable, and easier to stick to. I don't feel like I've failed in case I go over my daily amount. It simply gets taken out of my weekly.

However, I am now in maintenance so the good news is I do get to eat more than when I was in weight loss mode...
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I work my calories on a weekly basis, so I do have days when I have more rubbish on the weekend, however to allow myself a completely free day would be counterproductive as I would probably no longer be in deficit.
  • jamiekathleen99
    Options
    It sets back what you accomplished during the week!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I follow a VLC lifestyle (very low carb) and allow myself a free day once a week. It helps me stay on track in the long run.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    i dont i just found ways to eat what i like and still do it healthy and my favorite food is apples (which i eat 3 of a day) so that helps me not need one

also i dont count thanksgiving and christmas as free days