Rewards for meeting GW?

Options
I have set some baby goals for the next couple of weeks, but my first large goal is to lose 15-20 by January 30. I have decided that if I reach that goal in the time I have set forth I will treat myself to a day at the spa. I think 15 to 20 is a healthy goal and very doable. What are some rewards or incentives that you guys have set for yourselves that kind of keep you going?

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    The way I feel and look is its own reward. I've never quite understood the need to "reward" oneself with stuff. I earned all the money I would spend; if I want or need something, I'll buy it. In other words, I'm not losing weight or increasing my fitness so I can buy myself something.

Sometimes for kicks, I try on the jeans I wore 30 pounds ago and enjoy taking them back off without unbuttoning them. Watching them slide down my hips when I well remember that they used to be tight is a huge reward.
  • 1MariaChristina
    1MariaChristina Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I guess we're all wired differently =) I enjoy setting goals and rewards and I think after all the hard work I deserve a day to myself at the spa. It will be by 31st birthday so I think a reward is very fitting =)
    Congrats on the loss and the loose pants, that's great!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Well, of course I would still go to the spa if I wanted too. I'm sure part of my philosophy comes with being a teacher and believing that the only motivation is internal. I also don't pass out candy and give prizes in class for quality work. But my students work very hard and feel a strong sense of community. I'm a fan of Drive by Daniel Pink, a really excellent book on motivation and where it comes from.
  • 1MariaChristina
    Options
    Must be the teacher mentality indeed! Thank you for the input!
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    New workout clothes! when I buy them I always feel like getting out and exercising for some reason! I think it's great to reward yourself as long as it's not with food and you can afford it. :)
  • mamasitaroja
    mamasitaroja Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It's the simple things that motivate me.......so a Starbuck's for a really great week of having posted a steady loss (or even disciplined logging) is very likely.

I was lucky(?) enough to have bought a bunch of new clothes to motivate myself to get back in shape (HA!) just immediately prior to finding out I was expecting my youngest son, and then they never did fit. So they have hung in my closet, still tagged and unworn, until now. I break out something new and fun every time I lose enough to make my clothes of the past 2+ years too big to wear attractively, and I get the extra kick of getting to pass the bigger stuff on to friends, family, and community shelters.

I am debating (based on the end result) ultimately rewarding myself with having a couple of surgical procedures to remove extra tummy skin and put my bust size back where it was during my three pregnancies (va-va-VOOM!), but we'll see when I get there....by then, I may not care anymore! :)

I think it's vital to reward yourself in whatever ways keep you feeling positive, enthusiastic, motivated, and loved by yourself. Carrot-and-stick motivation techniques don't work for me....it has to make me feel happy and satisfied to do something like this for me to stick with it.

Whatever "reward" works for you, make it happen and don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't or can't- this is a gift from you to you, for a job well done!
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I have had mini goals with small rewqards as I've dropped my weight.One was a new purse, another was new underwear. My ultimate reward for when I hit my final goal will be to get a passport so that I can travel. I look forward to sitting in an airplane seat and actually having room for my hips and bum! LOL
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    clothes, shoes, jewelry, shoes, makeup shoes, massage, shoes, facial, shoes. Oh you know, and shoes.
  • cwettstain
    cwettstain Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I attribute my falling off the wagon to the "carrot-and-stick" mentality mentioned by mamasitaroja. I've gone down and up too many times because I got to where I wanted to be and rewarded myself by eating something and feeling like I was done. I believe I will just come to grips that I will always have to work hard at being fit.

For me, it's not a goal. It's a requirement.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I also reward myself with workout gear, but it's the hair cut and heels that get me feeling like a million :)
  • 1MariaChristina
    Options
    gracias mamasita!
  • 1MariaChristina
    Options
    Tina that sounds awesome! I am sure that will make your travels that much sweeter!
  • 1MariaChristina
    Options
    Sleepy! lol a girl can never have too many shoes =)
  • steady77
    Options
    I'm buying myself a Fitbit once I reach my goal weight. It is a reward, but it is also related to maintaining my weight loss.
  • 1MariaChristina
    Options
    cwettstain oh I see what you're saying. We are all wired differently and I came to terms with the fact that I too will always need to work hard to stay fit-but I think thats mostly true for lots of folks. Its cool to see what it is that really works for us and then apply it to your daily life, thats a big reward for me in itself bc it shows i am changing my way of thinking and my mental state.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Every time I get close to my goal weight, I realize my goal weight is no longer my goal weight. My goal seems to change as my body does, so I'm pretty sure I'll never be done trying to improve myself (get faster, stronger, leaner, something).
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Definitely new sassy workout clothes! :bigsmile: or new bikini ....I do want an HRT and I really need a new handbag; I've been thinking about getting a "real" one. I never spend over $50 for one and I'm thinking of setting a spending limit of $250? That's WAY extravagant for me. IDK...however, we're saving to put in a pool one year from now....so probably will be nothing b/c we need every dime, nickle and penny for the pool. We will save money b/c we're using some boulders already on our property, my husband will be creating some boulders, he's building the 9' waterfall, he's building the natural rock retaining wall, but the pool will be free form 40'x20', 8' deep and it's gonna cost. So, maybe that is my reward (it's also my Christmas, Valentines, Birthday, Anniversary, my husband's birthday, Christmas, Valentines,...haha). But it's going to rock!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I buy myself something (small) with every 10lbs I lose.

First 10 - new boots! (they were marked down 50%, so I got them for $40
    Second 10 (20 total) - I got myself some new makeup
    Next 10 (30 total) - (I'm 1 pound away!!), I may treat for a new Christmas dress, or get some foils in my hair.

I don't know what else I want to do, I'll see when I get there!!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I will reward the MFP community by showing my body
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Spankins