Give it to me straight..gained 2.6Ibs..what needs to change?

Options
Well...I'm really fed up right now as I've just weighed myself and put 2.6Ibs on since my last weigh in 2 weeks ago, even though my food intake hasn't really changed. It's not TOM and it's not muscle as I'm not excercising right now, except a few walks- but I'm planning to start working out from this weekend coming . I'm into weighing my food and try to keep my diary accurate and I log everything that goes in my mouth, the good the bad and the ugly.

I'm 5'8, 30 yrs old and my start weight was 12 stone 11Ibs ..I lost 5Ib in the weeks prior to joining MFP by following an unhealthy 800-1000 cals a day and got to 12st6 in a week...next weigh in I gained 1Ib to 12st7 so I upped my cals to 1200 incase I was in 'starvation mode' and joined MFP...I then lost 3 bringing me to 12st4Ib two weeks ago. Now up to 12st6.6 agghhh

I wouldn't mind so much if I'd not lost anything but to gain is just rubbish! Now I'm not sure what to do...It wouldn't be healthy to eat less than 1200 again so I know I maybe have to reconsider the foods I'm eating but I don't want to make too many changes right off, I just want to take it slow so it's sustainable for me long term.

I've been feeling good about working towards a healthier life but now I'm wondering why I bother and I seriously feel like pigging out..

If you look at my food diary from 2oth Oct it shows my 'before' daily intake and it's around 3,000 cals, so how can I be gaining on 1200-1400? Any advice much appreciated please, my diary is open, and I'm not easily offended so give it to me straight and honest :)

Replies

• mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Could just be a fluke, like retaining water. Why don't you track sodium as well and see if that's been high. If not, it'll come back off. Fluctuation is normal. I had a 3lb gain on the scale and eat about the same as you. It was gone 3 days later.
  • keelz2010
    Options
    Why don't you track sodium as well and see if that's been high.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try this out and see what shows up :)
  • ManEnMotion
    ManEnMotion Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I suggest you post your diet.... It would be hard to know where to start. Also go see your doctor. There could be another reason like thyroid
  • ManEnMotion
    Options
    Just noticed your diet is available..... I'll read and see if there is something that stands out.
  • joshkilborn
    joshkilborn Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I notice you're not drinking enough water. That can actually cause water retention especially paired with a high sodium intake.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    id say just exercise more and see if that works for you get your metabolism going with workouts!
    you could even eat a little more then
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Can you up your calories? Why not try smaller meals more frequently? Like 300-400 cals at a time.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I bet you it's water retention or constipation. you retain up to like 5lbs I believe.
  • ManEnMotion
    Options
    First thing that stands out in your diet is the carbs. For me I lost 50 lbs in 3 months by working out 4-5 times a week and by cutting carbs. Little or no bread and pasta and no junk food.

There are a lot of crappy food in your diet!

Frosted flakes, Bounty - Coconut Bar, Tesco - Coco Pops, Cadbury - Crunchie - Chocolate Bar, Tesco - White French Bread Baguett, Eli's Cheesecake - Chocolate Caramel Pecan Cheesecake, 1 slice

That's just two or three days
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Well...I'm really fed up right now as I've just weighed myself and put 2.6Ibs on since my last weigh in 2 weeks ago, even though my food intake hasn't really changed. It's not TOM and it's not muscle as I'm not excercising right now, except a few walks- but I'm planning to start working out from this weekend coming . I'm into weighing my food and try to keep my diary accurate and I log everything that goes in my mouth, the good the bad and the ugly.

I'm 5'8, 30 yrs old and my start weight was 12 stone 11Ibs ..I lost 5Ib in the weeks prior to joining MFP by following an unhealthy 800-1000 cals a day and got to 12st6 in a week...next weigh in I gained 1Ib to 12st7 so I upped my cals to 1200 incase I was in 'starvation mode' and joined MFP...I then lost 3 bringing me to 12st4Ib two weeks ago. Now up to 12st6.6 agghhh

I wouldn't mind so much if I'd not lost anything but to gain is just rubbish! Now I'm not sure what to do...It wouldn't be healthy to eat less than 1200 again so I know I maybe have to reconsider the foods I'm eating but I don't want to make too many changes right off, I just want to take it slow so it's sustainable for me long term.

I've been feeling good about working towards a healthier life but now I'm wondering why I bother and I seriously feel like pigging out..

If you look at my food diary from 2oth Oct it shows my 'before' daily intake and it's around 3,000 cals, so how can I be gaining on 1200-1400? Any advice much appreciated please, my diary is open, and I'm not easily offended so give it to me straight and honest :)

1200 calories isn't the magic number to get you out of starvation mode FYI. You are eating way to little. I am 8 inches shorter than you and I eat 1500 calories a day. I would suggest to find out your TDEE and eat less than that. Try to not cut more than 20% off TDEE.

The reason you are gaining is probably because your body is being underfed and it doesn't want to release any fat because it doesn't know the next time it will be fed properly.

If you were eating 3000 cals before, don't you think it is kind of extreme to cut 1800 cals off your daily intake?
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I would try to add exercise, and then see what happens. I would up your calories, however, if you start exercising. I don't see an issue with what you're eating, but would add more fruits and veggies. But if bread and sugary cereals and a daily chocolate bar is yor thing, I say why not as long as you are within your caloric limits. Once you start exercising, you will need those carbs for energy. I recommend cardio workouts by the way.
  • keelz2010
    Options
    Can you up your calories? Why not try smaller meals more frequently? Like 300-400 cals at a time.

Thanks for your reply, I am planning on getting my measurements taken tomorrow so I can work out this TDEE/ BMR thing I keep hearing about on here, in case I do need to eat more... I already eat little and often, up to six times a day so I don't think it's that.
  • keelz2010
    Options
    I notice you're not drinking enough water. That can actually cause water retention especially paired with a high sodium intake.

My sodium intake is pretty low, as I've just changed my settings after advice from another poster, but I'm definatly guilty of not drinking much water...must try harder on that one this week I think! Thanks for replying:)
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply, I am planning on getting my measurements taken tomorrow so I can work out this TDEE/ BMR thing I keep hearing about on here, in case I do need to eat more... I already eat little and often, up to six times a day so I don't think it's that.

Based on your height and weight you BMR is 1550. Your TDEE is just over 1850 calories to maintain and a 20% cut is about 1500. This is with NO EXERCISE.

check it out: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • keelz2010
    Options
    There are a lot of crappy food in your diet!

Frosted flakes, Bounty - Coconut Bar, Tesco - Coco Pops, Cadbury - Crunchie - Chocolate Bar, Tesco - White French Bread Baguett, Eli's Cheesecake - Chocolate Caramel Pecan Cheesecake, 1 slice

That's just two or three days

Mmm I have to agree, maybe sugar is my downfall as I originally cut all that junk out when I first started but added it all back in thinking that as long as I kept them within my calories, it wouldn't make a difference..but now you've pointed it out I think this might be the problem, thanks for taking the time to look into my diary :)
  • ManEnMotion
    Options
    Good luck! My points are what have worked for me. Hopefully the advise here will get you started..
  • hayeskw
    hayeskw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try removing any wheat based or bread items for 1 week keeping calories at 1200 per day. Exercise more ofter and eat more but stay at 1200 net calories. Try to minimize cheese also. Drink 8 glasses of water per day. Try to eliminate caffeine as it tends to inhibit metabolism. Best of luck - it's a lot easier to gain weight than it is to loose it.
  • keelz2010
    Options
    [/quote]

Based on your height and weight you BMR is 1550. Your TDEE is just over 1850 calories to maintain and a 20% cut is about 1500. This is with NO EXERCISE.

check it out: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    [/quote]
    Thanks for that, very kind of you to take the time working it out.. I've just had a look, think I'm going to have go at eating a little more using that as a guide and see if it helps! Ta very much!
  • wants2travel
    wants2travel Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can lose weight by eating chocolate bars and sweets, and no vegetables and fruit.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Try removing any wheat based or bread items for 1 week keeping calories at 1200 per day. Exercise more ofter and eat more but stay at 1200 net calories. Try to minimize cheese also. Drink 8 glasses of water per day. Try to eliminate caffeine as it tends to inhibit metabolism. Best of luck - it's a lot easier to gain weight than it is to loose it.

caffeine inhibits metabolism? WRONG most people believe the opposite is true

minimize cheese? WHY...ONLY do this if cheese is creating a caloric surplus

your body weight will fluctuate throughout the day and week. You can actually weigh 5 pounds more or 5 pounds less from morning to afternoon so being concerned about scale weight on a daily basis or weekly basis is really meaningless.

I would get your body fat tested by a good procedure (not a scale that also measures body fat) and start from there.