Barefoot running

I've recently started running in minimalist shoes by Merrell. I love them and notice I run better in them. I took about a month off from running and started again, but did something to my heel that's taking about a week to heal. Any suggestions for what to do next time I hit the road? Maybe a little less distance, easing my way back into running?

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    You might have bruised your heel, or you might have plantar fasciitis -- a strain of the ligaments along the bottom of the foot. Plantar fasciitis is very common in runners, and it often feels like sharp heel pain, almost like you have a bone spur or something. Plantar fasciitis is worst when you take your first few steps in the morning, and it gets better as you walk for a while -- that is a tell-tale sign.
    If you have plantar fasciitis, you may not be able to barefoot run. You may need more arch support, at least until it heals.
  • final10
    final10 Posts: 69 Member
    Do you think you did something to your heel while running? If so make sure you are not doing a heel strike and check your running form.
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    I have Vibram's, and their website has an entire PDF to download about how slowly you should ease into running with them. I don't know how quickly you started running or the distance or how you eased back into it after the time off, but my guess is just that you pushed yourself a too quickly. Many people have injured themselves this way. I think you'll just need to give yourself plenty of time. I am probably on the opposite end of the spectrum, I'm going too slowly with mine :) I should push myself harder, but when I go out to run, I want to RUN! Not do a short distance to ease into running with my Vibrams! I need to not be so impatient, and run a little with my Vibrams and then change into normal shoes and finish. Good luck with your foot, I hope it heals quickly for you!
  • You have the Trail gloves?
    Love those things but they no good for road, only 4mm sole with a 0mm heel-toe drop, i found on my 20odd km runs all my joints were in pain and i would get shin splints, they are awesome on trial though!! Maybe try some Nike Freerun 3 they a pretty decent balance...
    Hope your heel gets better, i know the feeling of being down, chin up! you will be running soon!
  • mredmond94
    mredmond94 Posts: 14 Member
    Yeah, I have the trail gloves. Usually they're not too bad on the road, but you're right ... they are good on the trail. I may just need to adjust my form and take Caballo Blanco's advice and run light, easy, and smooth.
  • mredmond94
    Will do. I think I'm still learning how to run barefoot. May have messed up and did a few heel strikes. Recovering slowly. May be back to normal on Friday.
  • mredmond94
    I tried the Merrell program on their app to ease into barefoot running but it seemed ridiculously cautious. I got into barefoot running a mile at a time and it worked for me. I think it may be like anything in fitness, where if you take a break it's best to make a gradual return to the activity.