Not quite sure why I can't keep it together.

I get on a roll, lose a good 5-6 pounds, and then something as small as a wedding, or Thanksgiving (more recently) can undo all of that, and in a few days I can put it all back on.
I'm having a hard time staying away from breaded things, and sweet things, which has really never been a problem.
Also, I feel like I'm working out more than I ever have (6 days a week!!) and I can see the improvements there, but I'm just not losing weight.
I was 172.6 for my sister-in-law's wedding, shot back up to 178, got down to 175 for Thanksgiving, and this morning I was 178.8.
Help :(

Replies

• r3ban1x
    r3ban1x Posts: 51 Member
    Same here, I get stoked with a 5 lb loss and I guess I let myself go and gain it all back in a week or 2.
  • dnmoehring
    dnmoehring Posts: 64 Member
    It's so disheartening.
  • pouncepet
    pouncepet Posts: 72 Member
    If you crave something sweet keep fruits and nuts on hand to fulfill it.

It isn't easy working around special events but you need to learn what works for you because there are always going to be birthdays, weddings, parties, celebrations. I suggest making conscience choices to eat well every day and when special events come along you can relax and enjoy (don't go and eat a whole pie or something yourself but there is no reason to beat yourself up for having a glass of wine and dessert when celebrating).

Before reaching goal you still need to estimate calories and be disciplined but once at goal, allow yourself a little buffer like 3-5 pounds so you don't freak out at every water weight fluctuation and TOM weight gain and when you have over indulged at special events.

*hugs* Brush off the bad days, put them behind you and get back on track. Enjoy the memories and good tines. Dont allow the scale to rob you of happiness and occasional celebration when the othet 340 days you are staying on the healthy path.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    At least some of that must be water weight, you would have to eat a ridiculous amount at once to put on that much fat that quick.

Are you eating enough? If you are having a lot of cravings it could be because you are genuinely hungry. Just a thought.
  • blahblahfood
    blahblahfood Posts: 14 Member
    I know what it's like with Thanksgiving and special events. They're my kryptonite. But, I've found the more I restrict my diet the more I crave the things I'm trying not to eat. Then when I inevitably break my diet I "gorge" myself with those foods. Lately I've been trying moderation. If I crave chocolate (or lately Hershey Candy Cane Kisses) I have a few pieces but not a whole serving. It keeps my craving under control and I'm not putting too much of a dent in my daily calories (one Hershey Kiss is about 25 calories and I usually go with 3).

It really sucks because I work in the kitchen of a restaurant so I usually find myself craving bacon in the mornings. So I eat a strip or two... It totals about 100 calories but then I'm not craving it anymore and I can save room for better things.

Good luck and keep your head up!
  • browneyedgirl7928
    browneyedgirl7928 Posts: 910 Member
    I'm in the same boat. Have gained the last two weeks and it really sucks. It's frustrating going the wrong direction. I'm going to try more protein this week, with a trip to HuHot and see how I do on the scale on Monday. Hopefully, it works.
  • "You crave what you consume." It is soo true. When I started eating clean I didn't crave all the bad stuff anymore. I plan my meals, instead of winging it. If I know I will be in a situation where there will be no healthy food choices, I bring my own food.

I made Thanksgiving dinner for my family, so everything was a healthier version of its counterpart. Planning is key.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    I can't say for sure since I can't see your diary, however it sounds like you have yourself on low calories, and that you may not be logging very accurately. I would say if you work on both of those things your problems may be solved.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Normally I can give advice about JUST DOING IT- but the holidays are a true test of our will arent they? I am slowly getting my groove back after a 4 day eat fest. I didnt go crazy- but I sure went over my normal amt.

Start with something you can and will stick to- it seems to spur on more good habits when you start with one. For starters, myself, I never stopped working out all weekend and Im hitting it a lil harder this week. Its not going to make magic happen, but it will make me feel good. After a great work out I wont un do my hard work by eating badly .. so thats how one good habit spurs on another.

So maybe start with a good breakfast and then plan a good lunch. Shop soon and fill the house with good foods. Or make a deal with yourself to work out 3 x this week - or treat yourself to something small (like new nail polish or lipstick??) if you keep your calories right all this week... I like to reward myself Friday night with a glass of wine if Ive done "reasonably well" all week (not 100%- but close!)

No one does this perfectly every day- but every day is a chance to try again and be as close to goal as we can be- good luck!