Is my HRM totally off?

Options
How many calories should I be burning in a day without serious exercise? I hit the gym for an hour yesterday, but today I just did laundry, cooked, walked uphill to the pub to watch the game, etc. Nothing big. But for kicks, I wore my HRM that I broke in yesterday at the gym to see what I burn normally throughout my day. Granted, I wasn't sitting at my desk at work and I was doing housework and such, but what is normal? I put it on around 11am and it's about 11pm, so in roughly 12 hours, my HRM is saying I burned about 2700 calories....

Is that accurate? I've seen other people who burn like 1800 or whatever in a day. I'm 5'3", 165 lbs., a curvy build but I definitely have a pretty good amount of muscle. Is it somehow accurate that I'm burning like 3,000 calories throughout a decently busy day?

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Take your current weight & multiply it by 13. That's what you burn in a day sitting on your bum :)

If you're doing chores, running errands, etc, it's going to be higher.
  • Emilydmo
    Emilydmo Posts: 101
    Options
    I don't know it it's off or not, but those must have been some seriously hardcore errands because I burned 2700 cals today with a 3 mile walk and an hour of P90X cardio-X and I'm 5'11'' and 210 pounds! Or maybe my bodybugg is off..? I haven't done my coaching session yet, just stuck it on my arm and off I went, so maybe I'm doing something wrong because if I times my weight by 13 to get my BRM, it comes out at 2700.. :ohwell:
  • mirandam1076
    Options
    I'm no expert but it sounds like both of them are off. I think Emily's bodybugg is too low and cmurphey is too high(but not by much:flowerforyou: )
  • cmurphy04722
    Options
    My HRM has the chest strap that is supposed to be fairly accurate...my resting heart rate is about 70 but I'm at 82 right now while working and typing. I put it on again today around 8am and it's 11:30 now, and I've supposedly burned about 700 calories...it's set to my height and weight and all that. When I wore it during my workout on Saturday, it was almost the same as the machines told me, but a little higher-like the machines said I'd burned a total of 520 and the HRM said like 600. But the machines that show your heart rate matched up with my HRM's reading.

What gives?
  • Shelley130
    Options
    I'm alot heavier than you so I burn more but here are my numbers with a bodybugg.
    *45 min eliptical level 5
    *27 min Jillian shred level 1
    *Regular activity with a 4 and 5 year old
    Total cals burned 3325
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I don't have a HRM, but I added up each individual activity for a normal day (shower, cooking dinner, sitting at a desk working, driving to work, sleep, etc.) and it came up to 2400 calories. I consider msyelf sedentary, so if you move around a lot, 2700 or even 3300 sounds quite possible.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    bump :happy: