1200 Calories doesnt seen enough....Opinions please!

Options
Hey everyone!

For some reason I do not think 1200 calories per day is enough for me. I just wanted to break down a typical day and see what you all think.

I work out 6 times per week. Cardio and weights each day....I burn 600-700 calories and my workouts usually last 75 minutes.

Of course I work 5 days a week on my feet and Im pretty active at work...I have worn a pedometer as a test and I usually walk 5-7 miles per shift which is +30 miles a week.

My BMR is 1495

I feel comfortable taking in 1500-1800 calories per day. Do you think this is too much?

Thanks for any opinions!
Michelle

Replies

• BamaRose0107
    Options
    You said you eat 1200 calories but also workout a pretty good bit, do you eat back your exercise calories? If not you might try to that for a while. If you workout and burn 600 calories that would put your net calories at 600 which is probably not enough to keep you from going into starvation mode which can really hurt your weightloss efforts. Also how much weight are you set to lose each week? I had mine set at 2 pounds a week which was a struggle and I was not able to eat the 1200 calories I was suggested it just was not enough. I changed it to one pound and saw a big difference in my energy, I was able to work harder and I was allowed more calories. I eat 1500 calories a day but it all depends on the person. You might could try upping it a little and see how it works, but 1500 hundreds sounds about right to me anyway.
  • mamagettinfit
    mamagettinfit Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    1200 would be what is recommended with no exercise. Since you exercise daily, you need more calories. They say you can eat what you burn (if you burn 600 you get an extra 600 to eat...) so I would say that your 1500-1800 calorie intake is right on.

If I am incorrect, someone please correct me, but this is how I am understanding things...
  • aionsnow
    aionsnow Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking... If you you do not exercise but active during the day you can plan to weigh but 1/10th your calorie intake.

example: 1200 calories per day equal 120lbs of weight (GENERALLY)

So if you want to weigh in about 120 and you are burning 600-800 calories during exercise you can eat around 1800 calories to maintain that weight. If you are not there yet I would recommend 1500.
  • mhagoaliemom
    Options
    1200 would be what is recommended with no exercise. Since you exercise daily, you need more calories. They say you can eat what you burn (if you burn 600 you get an extra 600 to eat...) so I would say that your 1500-1800 calorie intake is right on.

If I am incorrect, someone please correct me, but this is how I am understanding things...

I would totally agree with this. :drinker:
  • mollyinak
    mollyinak Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you're doing all that exercise, you might need a few hundred more calories per day. My FItness Pal is recommending I take in 1500 calories a day and I'm not working out nearly as often as you do.