soup ideas?

Options
slimsdown
slimsdown Posts: 122 Member
Does anyone know any simple soup ideas, i dont have a blender but i do have a slow cooker.

Replies

• PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I usually start with a couple of tins of tomatoes, a pint of stock, and as many veggies as I can manage; butternut squash, leeks, carrots for starters. I sometimes add a couple of chopped (fat trimmed) bacon rashers and/or pearl barley for a bit of protein. You can add add different herbs and spices, peppers, mushrooms or whatever you fancy.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Here are the two soup recipes that I make most often. For both of them, you will need one onion, some whole carrots and parsnips, and parsley and dill.

Chicken soup:
    Start heating a pot full of water, but do not let it get much above a simmer. Clean chicken pieces and add to pot (you can remove skin for lower fat, but I strongly recommend including the chicken neck for flavor). Wait for the bone marrow to form a scum on the surface of the water and skim it off. Add an onion. 30 minutes later, add carrots and parsnips. 15 minutes later, add herbs. 15 minutes later, you are done. You can eat the broth clear, or you can re-add the meat and vegetables.

Bean soup:
    Get a bean soup mix. Discard any flavor packets. Cook according to the instructions on the package. One hour before the end of cooking, add an onion. 30 minutes later, add carrots and parsnips (you can chop them up if you like them in your soup). 15 minutes later, herbs.
  • slimsdown
    slimsdown Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    great ideas thank you xx
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I made a fantastic soup at the weekend. I fried chopped onion in a little oil then added grated carrot, swede and parsnip. I let that cook down a bit then added some soup mix and topped it up with chicken stock. I should get 5 servings out of that and it's 167 calories per serve.
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I use a hand blender, only approx £9.99 or less..... there are a selection on Amazon.

I throw in whatever veggies I have in the fridge, great if you have veggies which have gone past their sell buy dates. Add in a stock cube or similar and you are done.

Good luck.
  • lbewley3
    lbewley3 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Throw one rough chopped onion, some celery stalks, and a head of cauliflower into a pot. Add a carton of low sodium chicken broth and a couple cups of water. Simmer about an hour, then puree (love my immersion blender) and season to taste - I just add a little salt and pepper. So creamy and filling for about 30 calories a bowl and with the calorie count so low, leaves room for some add-ons, like drizzle of chili oil, leftover asparagus or other veg, even a bacon crumble or cheese sprinkle.
  • tracymnx
    tracymnx Posts: 105
    Options
    My fave spicy butternut squash soup

Fry an onion and a chopped potato in some olive oil, with a couple of cloves of crushed garlic, a teaspoon of chilli flakes (less if you dont like it spicy), a teaspoon of curry powder and a teaspoon of dry coriander powder (you can also use fresh if its easier to get). When the onions and potato starts to colour, add the diced peeled squash, maybe half a kg, then cover with water just until the squash is almost completely under. Add a couple of chicken stock cubes and simmer until everything is nice and soft. If you dont have a blender then you can mash with a bottle or potato masher until you get a chunky stew.

For a thai inspired twist on butternut squash soup, fry the potato and onion with an inch of fresh grated ginger and fresh garlic, some fresh chopped green chilli and lots of fresh coriander instead of dry. Top with half water and half light coconut milk. Add a couple of stalks of lemon grass to the broth. If you cant get lemon grass then use the grated zest and juice of 1 lime. Season with light soy sauce or better still use thai fish sauce if you can get it.

Enjoy!
  • jiz35
    jiz35 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    best with a blender for smoothness but just as good chunky:

A very easy (and low calorie) pea and mint soup. (makes between 4-6 servings)
    1 500g bag of frozen peas
    2 cloves garlic
    1 stock cube (I use veg but chicken is good too)
    a couple of sprigs of fresh mint

Cook peas in some water along with chopped garlic & stock cube. Add mint when peas are soft. Blend until smooth. Freezes well too.
    Not so low calorie but still very easy and delicious cauliflower and stilton soup (made some yesterday) (makes 4 servings)
    1 medium head cauliflower (or bag of frozen florets)
    Stock, chicken (1 stock cube)
    1 clove garlic
    Chopped chives (around 2 tablespoons)
    Stilton cheese (to taste). I use about 40g

Cook cauuliflower, garlic and chives in the stock until soft and well cooked. Blitz / blend until smooth. Add stilton and simmer until incorporated, stirring all the time. Give a final blitz and serve.

• sgha58
    sgha58 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Taco Soup:

1 lg. onion
    1 can black beans - undrained
    1 can Northern beans - undrained
    1 can Fat Free refried beans
    2 cups frozen corn
    1 pkg. taco mix
    1 can Rotel tomatoes w/chiles
    1 can diced tomatoes
    l can chicken broth

Saute onion until softened in a large pot. Add all other ingredients and simmer for 30 - 40 minutes

Sooo good. You can put it in your recipe builder, enter your preferred serving size, and find out the calories per serving.
    Enjoy,
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Oh I love soups, i don't have a soup maker and don't use the slow cooker to make soup. Just a pan on the hob, i'm doing slimming world at the moment so pack my soups with lots of veggies.

In Fry Light (olive) sweat a chopped onion, then add leeks for 5mins; if i've got carrot that will go in too. Chopped potato is chucked in too. You don't need to make sure all the veg is cooked completely here. Then I love the kallo (veg) stock cube pop this into a jug add boiling water (about 1litre) mix a bit til it dissolves and pour over the veg in the pan. I add a good spoon of mixed herbs and bring to boil and then on a low heat to simmer for about 20 mins, the veggies will be nicely cooked. with a hand blender whiz for a bit but i like a bit of lumps of leek and potato. If its too thick i add a bit of boiling water to thin. If its too thin drop in some micro pasta but not alot at all.

All my soups start with fry light and onion and kallo stock cube, but i have made all sorts carrot and corriander, chicken and sweetcorn, mushroom. you can make whatevers leftover veggie. I have just experiamented with lettuce soup recently it wasn't a great success lettuce doesn't have much flavour it would defo need something strong tasting like bacon.

:flowerforyou:
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Red curry soup

Fry up some red curry paste - pour in coconut milk.
    Adjust to taste with salt, pepper, chicken stock and more red curry

Stir fry some vegetables (carrot, sugarsnaps, peppers, onion.....let your imagination run wild)
    Stir fry some chicken breast cut into thin slices

Place vegetables and chicken breast in bowl - pour over soup - serve and enjoy
  • Happygirl50
    Happygirl50 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bump thanks:smile:
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Hamburger soup

1 lb burger
    1 can tomato soup/1 can water
    2 cans beef broth
    1 can corn
    1 cup cooked pasta (or use less and cook it in the soup)
    Garlic and onion to taste

Also good using turkey burger and chicken broth as subs
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I made this last night (but halved the heavy cream with 1% milk): http://www.withourbest.com/food-recipies/butternut-squash-soup/. It's delicious, just finished some leftovers for lunch!

And, here's an easy soup I make for lunch. You can add chopped-up cooked chicken to it too. If I do that, I add it toward the end, just enough to warm it, so it doesn't get overcooked. This recipe makes a bunch, so you could half it.

Greek Chicken Lemon Egg Soup (Avgolemono)
    64 oz Chicken broth
    1/2 c. lemon juice (or to taste)
    8 oz. Orzo
    Greek seasoning (garlic, onion, oregano) to taste, you really don't need too much, although my husband, the Greek loads on the oregano

Boil the above until orzo is done. Remove from the heat.

In separate bowl, beat together three eggs. Then slowly, while whisking, ladle some of the broth from the soup into the eggs. When the eggs are sufficiently warmed by the broth, transfer the mixture (while whisking the soup this time) into the soup.

It really only takes about 15 min. to make and it's so delicious!
  • djcon
    djcon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Bacon and baked potato soup
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I make this in my slow cooker once a month and everyone is always asking me to bring it to events. It's really good!

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/african_chicken_peanut_stew/
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Bump for later :D
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I do a crockpot chickin & dumplings:
    1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
    3 cans of Campbell's Healthy Request Cream of Chicken soup
    1.5 carts of Swanson unsalted chicken stock
    Rosemary, Parsley, Sage, Thyme, Marjoram, minced garlic, onion powder & cracked black pepper to taste.
    1 batch of Bisquick biscuits made with whole milk

Put chicken in bottom of pot and add stock, soup and herbs. I let mine cook on high for bout 2 hours and switch to low. About an hour before serving I remove the chicken, turn the crock back up to high and add the dumplings.

For the dumplings (still working on this) I make 1 batch of Bisquick biscuits. I roll them in to little balls and then flatten them out and put them into the broth. Once they're all in, I shred the chicken and put it back on top.

The dumplings are still a work in progress. Using Bisquick, mine are turning out a bit gummy. The original recipe called for half a can of canned biscuits. I'll probably try that next go round.

I portion the batch into 5 servings and they're approximately 400 calories each according to the recipe calculator on here.