FitBit

Options
I'm thinking about getting the FitBit but I'm not sure which one. Would love to hear feedback from those who have it :-)

Also, how does it sync up with My Fitness Pal? Does it automatically track all my calories burned, so if I took a spin class for example I wouldn't have to enter it, it would sync on it's own?

Thanks!! :-)

Replies

• Mikeylynn
    Options
    I have the latest Fit Bit called the "One". I like it very much!. The previous version was called the "Ultra" The "One" is slightly water resistant they say and also has the ability to sync with either an iphone, iPad or android device as well as the Computer.

In order to sync with the ultra, you could only use your computer. They both have a wireless dongle that connects to usb and have a very simple upload function.

They both sync with MFP, you just have to go through the settings. Walking, running, climbing stairs and such is easily monitored. As far as cycling or spinning, you'd be required to input manually. They don't really track that.

Hope this info helps
  • kaceelawlor
    kaceelawlor Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit One and it's great for counting flights of stairs climbed and steps taken. I originally got it to track how many calories I burn during kickboxing classes, but since it bases its measurements off of movement (aka steps taken) it doesn't track anything for exercises like situps, pushups, boxing, etc. I'm not sure how it would work for spinning, but I've noticed that if I have a BASIC (sometimes low) number for calories burned, it gives me a starting point and makes me more aware of the foods I eat and the activities I do to burn it off. I've found myself trying to take more steps just to burn more calories!

You have to link the fitbit to MFP, and try to sync your fitbit as often as possible during the day (if you have an iPhone 4S or 5, it will sync via bluetooth). I sync at night when I get home from work and kickboxing, and will then manually enter calisthenics and kickboxing into my exercise diary. The fitbit will then adjust to how many "other" calories you burned during the day.

Your best best to track the actual amount of calories you burn would be to get a heart rate monitor. But, if you're looking for a basic (and okay with it being not entirely accurate) reading, then the fitbit is a good choice. It's a little bit more work when it comes to entering things in, but it's not that big of a deal.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    The cheaper Zip is the same except it doesn't track sleep or stairs climbed.

If you do a search on here, you'll find a group and lots of posts on here.
    Lots of people use Fitbit for general activity and also use a HRM for exercise. Alternatively the Bodymedia Fit can we worn all day for both- more accurate for daily activity than fitbit but not as accurate for exercise as HRM..
  • msparradise
    msparradise Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i would highly recommend "the one". i have had it for about a year now and it has helped me tremendously and can be linked up with MFP. i have also had "the force" for about 3 months and it doesn't seem as accurate and has recently been recalled due to skin irritation. the only thing i would caution is that i have known 2 people with "the one" who have lost it off their bras. i clip mine to my undies. :)