new rookie :)

Options
ive started yesterday, and WOW... im shocked at the breakdowns of the foods, i would never ever have guessed the iodene in certain foods are so high.. and sugars in some too..

This is really like going back to school.. BUT... this has its benefits..only way we can really start looking at food

im a single mom, daughter is 7, in the week im at work after 7 and at home just before 6, mostly sitting in office, and when im at home... i just wanna relax..

problems at work was that we get 3day choices for food at work.. usually just take aways that the guys choose.. no healthy options and if there is.. more expensive than our limit.. THIS is all changing now... arranging this :)

money is always tight.. so usually eat what ever there is... yesterday i went shopping,, bought healthier choices, vital veggie salts, balsamic vinegar, spray n cook... steamed fish... salads... etc... oh and multi vitamins.. Centrum

time to spoil myself.. .and in a good healthy way

any tips, hints, comments, are welcome
motivation is ALWAYS WELCOME :)

Replies

• noriri
    noriri Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am certain that you will find this site to be very helpful. Advice: Open your diary so that others can give constructive criticism, and look at others diaries for ideas. Set small realistic goals, and allow your mind and body to adapt to a new lifestyle. You will not do things perfectly, if you did you probably wouldn't be here in the first place. The message boards have an array of topics that will appeal to you, and you can learn through the experiences of others. Best wishes. You CAN do this!
  • ManEnMotion
    ManEnMotion Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am certain that you will find this site to be very helpful. Advice: Open your diary so that others can give constructive criticism, and look at others diaries for ideas. Set small realistic goals, and allow your mind and body to adapt to a new lifestyle. You will not do things perfectly, if you did you probably wouldn't be here in the first place. The message boards have an array of topics that will appeal to you, and you can learn through the experiences of others. Best wishes. You CAN do this!

Great advice
  • Bernadettetoo
    Options

This!
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I've been on the tight end of the paycheck. If you want to, feel free to friend me.

As for picking foods, it will sound odd, but try to pick your foods seasonally. Especially the veggies. They tend to be cheaper if they are in season. (like most of the squash types in late summer/ early fall, or leafy stuff in late winter/ spring/early summer).

And, learn how to buy bulk. It looks worse at first, but when you realize that that brisket you just bought for $36 will make 7 or 8 meals just dropped your meal prices to under $6 per meal, and you get steak and roasts out of it!
  • cheriesteenkamp
    Options
    thank you.. my diary is open to friends.. :)