Gazelle Edge Machine!!!!!!

Options
I just purchased this machine a week ago and used it for like 3 days now. The calorie counter seems to be way off.. Its saying that I burn like over 1,000 cals a day .. if anyone has this machine could u tell me if this is accurate or not. If its not how do you track your calories being burnt while on it...???

Replies

• campingchick104
    Options
    Y'know... we bought our gazelle and now we're selling it. Everything about it is off I think. It's noisy (although I'm sure a lil' WD40 would take care of the horrible squeeking sound although temporarily), it hurts the feet (tried different shoes, etc) and I do believe the calorie counter is off as well. Honestly, I'd rather get my cardio walking outside or using my Your Shape Wii game (or buying a treadmill that's not gigantic)! My sis is having the same problem with her gazelle... awful, but true!

Maybe get one of those lil' pedometers while using your machine, maybe that'll help you truly keep track of what you burn while using it! Best of luck to you:)

~T~
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I don't use the calorie counter on my Gazelle--not by choice but because I can't get the stupid electronic display box OPEN to put a new battery in it.

To calculate my calories, I found a tool online. It seems there is one to calculate just about anything.

http://www.fatburn.com/free_tool_activity_burn.asp

You select the activity in their database, and Gazelle is mentioned, then put in your weight and it will calculate the calories burned, based on the number of minutes.

The nice thing about this is--once you enter that data into MFP exercise database, you can pull up that exercise description and add the minutes you used your Gazelle, and the MFP site will tell you the calories burned!!

I will tell you another hint about the fatburn.com tool. In the case of the the aerobic Gazelle activity description, the calorie burn will vary enough about every ten lbs of weight lost to make it worthwhile to recalculate your calorie burn and enter another description into MFP. For myself, I added in the Gazelle description, followed by a weight, and will add others as needed.

Even though I have my Gazelle info entered into the exercise database, I don't think it works the same way the food database does, where you can use information entered by someone else, so if you don't see any Gazelle entries in there already, that would be the reason.

I do like the Gazelle because the calorie burn with it is better than walking for the same amount of time, and it is easier on my knees.

Good luck.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I don't use the calorie counter on my Gazelle--not by choice but because I can't get the stupid electronic display box OPEN to put a new battery in it.

To calculate my calories, I found a tool online. It seems there is one to calculate just about anything.

http://www.fatburn.com/free_tool_activity_burn.asp

You select the activity in their database, and Gazelle is mentioned, then put in your weight and it will calculate the calories burned, based on the number of minutes.

The nice thing about this is--once you enter that data into MFP exercise database, you can pull up that exercise description and add the minutes you used your Gazelle, and the MFP site will tell you the calories burned!!

I will tell you another hint about the fatburn.com tool. In the case of the the aerobic Gazelle activity description, the calorie burn will vary enough about every ten lbs of weight lost to make it worthwhile to recalculate your calorie burn and enter another description into MFP. For myself, I added in the Gazelle description, followed by a weight, and will add others as needed.

Even though I have my Gazelle info entered into the exercise database, I don't think it works the same way the food database does, where you can use information entered by someone else, so if you don't see any Gazelle entries in there already, that would be the reason.

I do like the Gazelle because the calorie burn with it is better than walking for the same amount of time, and it is easier on my knees.

Good luck.
  • tammyclinch
    tammyclinch Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Mine is accurate . 60 minutes or 300 calories and 60 mins of slow walking is 259 so i think you burn a bit more as your using your arms and legs
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I just purchased this machine a week ago and used it for like 3 days now. The calorie counter seems to be way off.. Its saying that I burn like over 1,000 cals a day .. if anyone has this machine could u tell me if this is accurate or not. If its not how do you track your calories being burnt while on it...???
    The counter is wrong. I've called them asking how they calibrate the parameters on how they achieve the numbers and not one person knew because that actually piece isn't made by them.

Get an HRM to track it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition