Tattoos + Tipping

Options

Replies

• plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    wow i have 5 tattoos and never realized you are suppose to tip lol good thing they were all done by differnet people lol

Lol. It's not a rule, more of a social thing. Only in America. Lol

maybe its a good thing im canadian lol
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I tip at the end of a piece. The one I'm working on will be done in the next session--that's the only session I'll tip in.
  • briebear77
    briebear77 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I would tip if you ever expect to show your face at that tattoo parlor again. Tattoo shops aren't like restaurants, they'll straight up tell you to gtfo if they remember you didn't tip them.

Not really. The place I go, I get inked by the owner. So, I feel stupid tipping the prick because he's the freaking owner, he makes profit off the entire operation. You don't tip owners. It's stupid, but, nevertheless, I have an internal quandary as he is the artist, so I should respect his work and say thank you, financially, I guess. But it still pisses me off. So, I don't tip him every time, just like every third time. Lol.

So you, what, verbally tip? I am a BIG fan of always tipping. It's just a respect issue for me. When I was working as a waittress, a "great service, thanks!" didn't pay my bills. Also, as the owner he is still doing work that he probably doesn't have to do.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    haah i tip my peircing guy, but not my tattoo artist, cause hes my cousin in law! lol.

You're supposed to tip piercers? I've had 6 or 7 and never have!

Lol. Anyone that provides a personal service, you are supposed to tip. Lol.

I'm terrible at these things. I should just start tipping everyone, just to be on the safe side.
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    Good thing I read this. I was unaware. My first session ever is booked for Friday.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I would tip if you ever expect to show your face at that tattoo parlor again. Tattoo shops aren't like restaurants, they'll straight up tell you to gtfo if they remember you didn't tip them.

Not really. The place I go, I get inked by the owner. So, I feel stupid tipping the prick because he's the freaking owner, he makes profit off the entire operation. You don't tip owners. It's stupid, but, nevertheless, I have an internal quandary as he is the artist, so I should respect his work and say thank you, financially, I guess. But it still pisses me off. So, I don't tip him every time, just like every third time. Lol.

So you, what, verbally tip? I am a BIG fan of always tipping. It's just a respect issue for me. When I was working as a waittress, a "great service, thanks!" didn't pay my bills. Also, as the owner he is still doing work that he probably doesn't have to do.

I don't what you mean by verbally tip. But, being a waitress and owning the restaurant are two completely different things. You don't tip the owner if they wait on you. That's just ridiculous. You might have to own a business to understand the dynamics of it. But, it's odd to get a tip when you own the business. The waitress does not profit from the food the patrons are eating. The owner is literally making money off the food the people are eating, so tipping is not necessary, it's built in. Lol. I realize not everyone understands this. Again, if you ever own a business, you will.
  • briebear77
    Options

I don't what you mean by verbally tip. But, being a waitress and owning the restaurant are two completely different things. You don't tip the owner if they wait on you. That's just ridiculous. You might have to own a business to understand the dynamics of it. But, it's odd to get a tip when you own the business. The waitress does not profit from the food the patrons are eating. The owner is literally making money off the food the people are eating, so tipping is not necessary, it's built in. Lol. I realize not everyone understands this. Again, if you ever own a business, you will.

Thanks for the condescending answer. Maybe I'll understand one day when I'm all grown up. The owner is doing an extra service for you. Extra work = extra money whether you own the business or not. Good on you for tipping out your employees (as you should) but that decision should be left to individual owners if they do get tipped.
  • briebear77
    Options
    I see you edited to change your condescending answer to be less condescending. Props on that at least :wink:
  • _Fatty2Fitty_
    _Fatty2Fitty_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Can I ask, is this tipping just an american thing???
  • neverstray
    Options
    I see you edited to change your condescending answer to be less condescending. Props on that at least :wink:

I'm not being condescending, I'm just trying to explain it. Sorry you took it that way. I didn't mean, someday when you grow up, I mean, someday, if you ever own a business, you will see how it's weird to get a tip because you already are getting profit. And, no its not extra work. Lol. That's the part I'm talking about. You have to do it to understand. Everything about it is your job. The owner is the business, there is no extra work. Lol.

When you own a business, you can run it anyway you want to and you can take tips and all that. It's fine. When I did it, it felt unethical, is all I am trying to say. Maybe I'm the only person in the world that feels that's way. I often have views that many people disagree with. It's probably just me. Ive taken enough space on this thread with this.

Cheers.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options

Thanks for the condescending answer. Maybe I'll understand one day when I'm all grown up. The owner is doing an extra service for you. Extra work = extra money whether you own the business or not. Good on you for tipping out your employees (as you should) but that decision should be left to individual owners if they do get tipped.

That wasn't condescending. It's just the way you interpreted it. You'll understand these sort of things one day.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Can I ask, is this tipping just an american thing???

Yes mostly.....it's not common in the UK except for restaurants where there is no service charge included and a few other things by personal choice.
  • briebear77
    Options

That wasn't condescending. It's just the way you interpreted it. You'll understand these sort of things one day.

It was before he edited it.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Do tattoo artists get paid by the piece or minimum wage? I would understand if it was minimum wage, like a waiter.

This is one of the problems in the US. People expect tips! I was in the military for 20 years, traveled throughout the world and most countries do not tip. You get paid for your job.
  • briebear77
    Options
    PJ I agree, it makes much more sense to just be paid for your job. Coming from a job where I made money on my tips, I think I'd much rather just be paid hourly and know how much I can expect to make. It's extremely subjective, plus you always end up with a@@holes who don't tip.
  • neverstray
    Options
    Do tattoo artists get paid by the piece or minimum wage? I would understand if it was minimum wage, like a waiter.

This is one of the problems in the US. People expect tips! I was in the military for 20 years, traveled throughout the world and most countries do not tip. You get paid for your job.

Most artists told me they get a percentage, like 50%, the other 50% goes to the owner. I don't think that's universal though. The place I go to now, the owner just charges his artists monthly rent for their station, so, they can make and charge whatever they want. They just have to pay their rent.

I don't like tipping at all, but I tip big. Rarely below 20% for anything. I prefer that everyone just makes a proper livable wage.
  • Ivy_leaves
    Ivy_leaves Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've always tipped at /least/ 20%. Hopefully they did a good enough job for you to want to tip anyway! :D
  • willwillywilson
    Options
    OP mentioned tax as part of the bill. You might be able to avoid paying tax if you take cash too instead of using a card. Both times when I had mine done the artist said it would be more because if tax if I paid with the card and he ran it throught he register. I'm guessing if there's no official record of what the artist/shop is charging you they're reporting it as a lot less and pocketing some. Fine by me if it saves me a few bucks.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    OP mentioned tax as part of the bill. You might be able to avoid paying tax if you take cash too instead of using a card. Both times when I had mine done the artist said it would be more because if tax if I paid with the card and he ran it throught he register. I'm guessing if there's no official record of what the artist/shop is charging you they're reporting it as a lot less and pocketing some. Fine by me if it saves me a few bucks.

^^This^^ Also, if you live in the States anyway, you always tip. I don't care if they are the owner or not. Tattoo shops are struggling. They go out of business within the first year the majority of the time. They need this extra income because they have to have low prices to compete with the million other shops. So, like your artist? Good, tip him. Don't like him? Good, tip him and don't go back. It's just how it works. It is expected. My artist is amazing, he is also the owner, he didn't use to be, but he is now, and I still tip him. It's just how tattoos work.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    The thing to remember is that that artist is generally self employed working out of a home base - that shop takes a percentage of their wage to cover shop fees - health testing etc. so a tip is generally very welcome.

My artist and I had a conversation about it the last time I was in and I asked if she would like to be tipped after every session or at the end - and she said "I never expect tips from anyone so whenever the client wants to tip I will accept them" With that being said I tipped at the end of the session because it was going to be a while before I was going back in to get more done. - She got about 20% for each sit.