Vitamin D

It's winter now and I can't get outside much. I am supplementing with 1,000 IU of vitamin D a day, but I have heard more is probably safe. How much vitamin D do you guys take? Is it possible to overdose on it? I have tried combing the internet for answers but it's hard to know what to believe.

Replies

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    You might turn orange.

True story
  • angbunny22
    angbunny22 Posts: 54 Member
    My doc said 1000 a day is what I should take.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    The best route to go is to get blood work done to see if you're low, then supplement the amount you would need to get your numbers in line.

Outside of that, anything 5,000 IU or under seems safe and reasonable. I do 2,000.
  • Sick_Beard
    Sick_Beard Posts: 407 Member
    The best route to go is to get blood work done to see if you're low, then supplement the amount you would need to get your numbers in line.

Outside of that, anything 5,000 IU or under seems safe and reasonable. I do 2,000.

Spot on bud
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    the_big_yellow_one_is_the_sun_by_whatsername_rp-d34l5l2.jpg

293875_1190155221_medium.jpg
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    I am vitamin d deficient. My doc has me supplement 1000 ui a day. I used to be on 50,000 a week but my levels are in the normal range now. Unless you are deficient I would just supplement a typical over the counter amount without pushing it. More is not always better even if it is not necessarily harmful.
  • trekker80
    trekker80 Posts: 1 Member
    Vid-D is great to supplement with. When my levels get too low, I feel it physcially and mentally. I used to take 1,000-2,000IU daily, and was not getting the levels I was aiming for. So my doctor said I can take 5,000IU, which I take all year round. I never had any trouble of side effects/overdosing. My doctor checks my Vit-D levels 2-3 times a year, and they are always in the upper normal range (optimal).
  • ECA67
    ECA67 Posts: 802 Member
    Agree with fire_rock on getting lab tests done. I take 2-5 K IU a day.
  • anewlife4me8610
    anewlife4me8610 Posts: 91 Member
    Low Vit D levels can actually slow or halt your weight loss. My Dr had me take a high dose for like 8 weeks then follow up with the 1000 daily...get your levels checked to make sure you need them...
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    My doc said 1000 a day is what I should take.

I had bloodwork and this is the one thing that came back, exactly this.
  • seashell99z
    seashell99z Posts: 113 Member
    I am deficient in Vit D as well. After taking 50,000 for six weeks, I'm now at 2,000 a day.