Trouble Committing

Options
I am 43 Years Old I have been overweight my entire adult life, except for a few months fresh out of Boot Camp. Over the past 10 years I have grown to be obese. I have been on every diet known to man. When I get on it I stick to it for 2 weeks to 6 or 8 months... then I get off. I know it is all about realizing it is a lifestyle but I love food and miss certian foods if I go too restrictive on a diet. I started this prior to a vacation I recently took and was doing okay but when I returned from vacation I got off it and never started. My goal would be to use this as a tool to watch my calories and to clean up my diet slowly but in my head I think extreme is the only way to get off the 100 plus pounds I want to lose. Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Thanks

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Learn how to balance the foods you WANT to eat with other foods that round out your calorie/macro goals. No need to give up pizza or ice cream or whatever you enjoy, just learn how to balance them out with things like eggs and chicken breast and yogurt.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    this what worked for me.. I always overate.. super big helpings, seconds if the food was good.. I knew I had to change that and eat smaller portions and stop when I was full so I did. It took about 2 -3 months for me to train my brain to stop. It was hard but I did it.

I started with smaller portions first and tried to only make enough food to feed the family so there wouldn't be left overs. I cooked everything we normally did, no special diet at all.

After I got used to that I started working out then tracking calories. (I also couldn't work out during the summer due to surgery). I get super full now on a small amount of food where I can't even snack because I am stuffed sometimes. I am down about 20lbs, half of it since it Sept.

I will friend you..we are same age and am I currently over 200lbs.. with lots more to lose. You can do this, you just have to be patient. Look at these before and after pictures, they are very inspiring.
  • endjourney
    Options
    i am 47 and have like you tried so much to lose weight, different weight loss tips or this and that. i have been on my lifestyle change since january 2012. i have lost 70 pounds and 10 inches from my gut.
    how? hard work. everyone has an idea of what works for them, differs from person to person.
    where do i start? from the basics if you eat more calories than you use you put weight on, if you eat less you lose weight.
    write a list of why you want to start, what are the pro's and con's. your must want to change because you are on this site, you are unhappy with how things are. don't beat yourself up if you have off days we are all human, just remind yourself why you started.
    if you do nothing, nothing will change. i make no excuses for stating the obvious but you have to start somewhere. if you want to add me as a friend feel free hope you can get what you want, don't give up.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Don't think about past success or failure, just embrace this program. I started two years ago and I lost 40 pounds. I maintained for a long time but this last summer we bought a house and my oldest son moved out. I went back to stress eating. So I am back, you can do it. Embrace the program, rally your friends or partner to do it with you. Read posts, join groups and do not get discourage and follow the calorie recommendation, do not try to eat 800 calories to gain an advantage. End your day with no less than 1200 calories net and you will be successful.

Good luck and friend me if you want support. I need it too.
  • rickpearce
    rickpearce Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Let me start out by saying... I'm somewhat of an expert at being a failure with this. I've been up and down in weight the last 15 years basically. I get motivated, I lose, I get slack and I gain it back.

I got to thinking... why is it that at work I can focus and get **** done and with this I always let things go when it's going good?

I decided to take a work like approach this time around. I am using tools. I have a schedule. I have deliverables and people to hold me accountable.

Here is what I did.

I set up Google Calendar with a daily reminder to send me a txt msg at 8:20pm to remind me to log my cals on mfp

I plotted out 1 year with 4 phases of smaller goals adding up to my total goal (100lbs). I have 5 "coaches" who get email reminders 12 times a year to check in on me. Each phase is 3 months and between each goal date I have 2 checkups where my coaches get emails reminding them to check on my progress.

It's basically like a simple project plan with milestones. Even if I get slack and give up there are only 4-5 weeks I can do it before someone is checking up on me.