do you work out when you're feeling sick?

Options
I'm definitely coming down with a cold, headachy, phlegmy, tired, sore throat. Should I just power through or give it a rest?

Replies

• DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    If you're body is telling you you're sick I'd say listen to it and get rest. Get some vitamin c in you, drink some green tea with honey, take a hot bath and then take a nap. If you feel better later just do some light working out. But your body is important to listen to. :)
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I felt like I was coming down with something yesterday. I took a complete rest day, ate lots of fruit and feel fine today :) It's up to you, I believe working hard when you're feeling ill will only make you worse.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting over that. Personally, I had to take a few days off because getting out of bed was challenging. I say if you can, awesome. If your body's just beat down like mine was, time off is actually a good thing. Hope it doesn't last long! :flowerforyou:
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    If I don't have a fever, I will still work out, though I may modify my routine, depending how I feel. I may not lift as heavy weights or do as intense cardio, for example. Usually a workout helps me feel a little better. If I feel like I can still handle even a light workout, then I go for it.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Here are my rules: If you are "sick" above the neck (i.e., sinuses, etc.) I say workout because it often makes me feel better and helps clear things up. If you are "sick" below the neck, take time off as you need to recover.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Ah. First off, I'm sorry you're feeling bad. I have literally been fighting a virus/fever/cold/bronchitis/sinus infection/allergies (in that order) for the last 30 days (yes, I have been counting). Up until now, I have had low oxygen saturation levels, so I wasn't able to do a lot of cardio like my typical Tuesday spin class. Today will be my first attempt since I first got sick. With that said, I still made myself go to the gym and either get on a stationary bike or walk for 10 minutes and then lift some weights. I struggled, but I did it. I just did it slower and less intense...and rested a lot. :) Hope you feel better soon and can find some energy and motivation to get to the gym, even for some light activity! :wink:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say, above the neck, it's ok. Below the neck, rest. I just do what I feel. I'm a baby, so I even call in sick to work when I have a runny nose.. Lol. True story.
  • usernamekelly1
    usernamekelly1 Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I tend to just walk if I'm ill, but I'll work out with a headache etc if it's on my chest then I rest up, because if I don't it lingers for longer.
  • dcglobalgirl
    dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This gives me some good ideas. I'm mostly sick above the neck but my throat hurts (is that above or below? :)

I'm supposed to do rumba today (very high energy) but I think I'll just go and get on the treadmill so I burn some calories but don't push it too hard.
  • Shamrock_me
    Options
    I will still do the work out when I'm sick. Maybe not as hard, or as much, or as heavy. I push through. Everyone is different, every approach to sickness & health issues are too. Do what you feel.... I took 2 days off for a surgery in August. The doctor knew I wasn't going to quit or rest up so he just gave me a list of limitations and had me check in every week including emailing over the MFP reports of what exercises I was doing, how long I was doing them & how much weight I was doing them with. I made him a MFP fan. Now if I could only get my PCP on board...
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    The only time I don't work out, is if i'm vomitting.
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Here are my rules: If you are "sick" above the neck (i.e., sinuses, etc.) I say workout because it often makes me feel better and helps clear things up. If you are "sick" below the neck, take time off as you need to recover.

I say this. If it is just a cold, sometimes it helps to sweat it out. If you find you have no energy though, I say rest up.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    sure do! i try to sweat that **** out! hahahhaha
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. If you have a fever, you're weak, your head hurts, etc., you need to rest!
    When I get sick, I rest, eat what I'm up to eating and walk if I feel like it, for exercise. I had the stomach flu over Thanksgiving and I didn't exercise for a week! That's the first time since I've changed my lifestyle that I did that. However, I had horrible stomach pains and couldn't eat for days and I was weak, so I knew it would be pointless and probably slow down the time it would take for me to recover. Now that I feel better, I'll start running again. :)
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    Rest.