Major loss over a holiday

Options
So I've been steadily-ish losing about 2lbs a week since I started while staying close-ish to a goal of 1210 calories a day. (24 year old female, 5' 1", starting 240.) Except for one week where I gained two.

Over Thanksgiving I loosened up. Monday and Tuesday I was on track thanks to being at work, Wednesday was slightly relaxed, Thursday I did not track at all because it was Thanksgiving. Friday through Sunday I had one slice of leftover pie every day and usually a turkey sandwich for lunch. I was over my goal by 100-200 calories each of those days. I did not exercise, and I was not diligent about my water intake.

Then I weigh myself Sunday morning... and I LOST 6.4lbs?!?

Confused as heck but I'll take it! I've crossed into the 220s after two months of tracking!

Replies

• itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome!
  • famlyluv
    famlyluv Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    There is a group called eat more to lose weight. you may need to up your calorie level.
  • danielleeliz_xo
    danielleeliz_xo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I let myself go a little bit over the holiday. I still exercised but i definitely ate things i Would never eat during a regular week and I lost 2 lbs . My moms nutritionist said its good to do that every once in a while because it confuses your system especially if you have been on a routine. SO wooohoo for losing weight over a holiday, thats definitely a big success!
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Probably because you weren't eating enough to begin with, your body liked the added calories ;)
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    That happened to me after eating 2200 calories 3 days in a row...in some cases, eating more can actually be good for you b/c it gives your body the energy it needs to meet the demands you're placing on it. (i.e. the "Eat More to Lose Weight" camp and IPOARM Method) Either way, sounds like a win!
  • Klopford
    Klopford Posts: 129
    Options
    Odd thing is I think I gained an inch in my waist while losing an inch in my boobs... Hips didn't change. I think I'll stick to measurements once a month and just check weight weekly.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    way to go! happy holidays to YOU! :) our bodies are weird...ive been there before where i eat alot and i LOSE! go figure! :)
  • nsalerno90
    Options
    The same thing happened to me - I am down three and I definitely ate over the weekend. But I worked out and walked a ton and drank my water. I do think my body needs more at times and I am calm enough now to let that happen. There was no way I was skipping my mother's stuffing!! Good for you.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    because you need to be eating more. When I upped my calories by 300-400 I starting losing like crazy. 1200 is not enough. I did it for months then plateaued HARD. You need to eat!
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Chances are that you are eating too few calories at 1210. You will lose more if you eat more and continue to exercise. People often believe the myth that in order to lose weight you must restrict calories excessively. You could most likely keep up a steady loss by eating around 1500-1700 calories a day. If you're looking for a some advice and support eating MORE, there is a man on here with a high calorie team and he is very helpful. His username is Helloitsdan. Many people are grateful for him and are losing weight without starving!!
  • Klopford
    Options
    Thanks y'all.

Like I said though, I didn't even exercise. I spent my days off on my *kitten* in front of a computer screen and still had that big loss. That's got me even more stumped.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    You can still lose weight without exercising. 80% of it is diet. But those who exercise AND eat healthy will look better with their weight loss than those who just diet.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when you're under-eating for a period of time, your hormones respond positively when you eat the right amount again. If you're planning on eating at that level for a long period, you might want to look into diet breaks: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html
  • Klopford
    Options
    I looked at the IPOARM post and just ran my numbers in that Fat 2 Fit Radio website again, since I know my BF% thanks to my scale (bioelectrical impedance ftw!)

Harris-Benedict says my BMR is 1799 right now. Katch-McArdle says 1313. And I've been eating 1210.

Yikes, maybe y'all are right about eating more LOL!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all.

Like I said though, I didn't even exercise. I spent my days off on my *kitten* in front of a computer screen and still had that big loss. That's got me even more stumped.

I know the feeling. I've been exporting my data into a spreadsheet and tracking everything. I have come to believe that my TDEE is actually higher than the calculators state. The calculators are an average. Eating under your BMR can cause several different issues that can hamper your progress. The goal is find your personal "sweet spot" between your BMR and TDEE. It can take some time, but you will be better off in the long run if you can find that place.

That bump in extra food signaled your body that you are not actually starving. Your deficit should be smaller. When your calorie deficit is too high, then it stresses your body, increases cortisol levels, decreases your metabolism, changes your hormone ratios, etc.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!