Anyone else work at a desk & struggling to shift weight??

Options
2»

Replies

• newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I would suggest taking a look at why you want to weigh so little. At 5'6", 8 stone (112lbs) may not be a realistic goal. I'm 5'2", 120 pounds (8stone 8lbs) and actually unhappy that some areas of my body began to appear too thin. It does depend on your body type to a degree but 8 stone or less seems way too low to me for your height.

I'd have to agree with others that you should make sure your exercise routine includes adequate strength training. I originally thought I wanted to lose more weight but as I've been strength training, my weight has stayed pretty constant but my body has changed a lot. Not only am I happy with those changes, other people have noticed and commented so it can make a huge difference even without weight loss.

I'm not sure this has anything to do with working a desk job though as you are at a healthy weight and seem to be getting a decent amount of exercise in. I work at a desk job as well and I just make sure I take stairs, walk to get water frequently, park far away from things and do anything I can to make up for it in the rest of my life.
  • NickDHussin
    Options
    I know that not everyone is able to do this but what about converting your desk to a stand up desk? It is a bit odd and uncomfortable at first but after a week it feels great! Only thing I noticed is it is actually uncomfortable to sit for long periods of time now.

Also great for your posture. :)
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Desk job = snacking a lot. Don't snack. eat what you plan, and get some ankle weights. You'll be fine.

I 50% agree. Desk job = snacking a lot. But I don't think "don't snack" is the right advice for everyone. I snack all day and hit my goal weight, dropped down to a size 2. It all depends on how a person likes to eat (big meals, lots of snacks, somewhere in between). Snack healthy.
  • wildechild74
    wildechild74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i agree with all other responders. also, i work in a rather large building (one level) and i use the restrooms farthest from my desk-extra steps!! i drink lots of water while at work so needless to say i get lots of steps in. my work also has a gym and fitness classes, so i can get 45min of cardio and some strength training daily.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If I am calculating things correctly, 7stone is roughly 98 pounds, which is considered underweight for a woman who is 5'6" tall. On the other hand, 9 stone, 7 pounds is 133 pounds, or right in the middle of what is generally considered to be the healthy weight range for a woman of 5'6". In your original post you state that you had a B12 deficiency which caused you to lose a lot of weight. Your answer here seems clear to me, you were underweight before, you are a normal weight now. Assuming you have otherwise healthy habits, you do not need to lose weight. You may chose to lose a few pounds, but weighing less than 100 pounds is not healthy for someone your height.
  • eyesontheprize13
    Options
    Your goal weight is close to underweight for your height. You're at a perfect weight right now!
    I agree with mellisant
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I advise eating clean, drink water, move more. I never eat processed food, sodas, and avoid sugar and salt at all costs. Try to make one small change at a time. Give yourself treats. Good luck. Friend me if you want.
  • davidlconner
    Options
    Gluten free is the way to go! I don't have a gluten allergy but I have noticed that eating foods that don't have gluten in them make me feel so much better. Your not bloated after every meal and you seam to have more pep in your step. This might sound a little crazy but I am working to be a body builder and from what I have learned so far is all you need to do is count your macros. Your macros are your protein, fats, and carb intake. If you take your body weight and multiply it by 16, that will give you your maintenance calories ( what you need to take in to maintain your current weight). If you subtract 500 from your maintenance calories this will create a caloric deficit which will help you lose about a pound to a pound and a half per week. If your going to the gym regularly and keeping high intensity levels while working out this should be great for you. I weigh out all of my food and cook in bulk so that I have all of my meals pre made for the week. This helps me hit my macros and stick to my diet. Just remember, "if you are proactive you will succeed but if you fail to plan then you plan to fail". Hope this helps and good luck! Drink lots of WATER! :happy:
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue-- working a desk job & slowly put on about 10 pounds since I've started here (a little over 2 years ago) When I was still in school & unemployed, I maintained a weight of 118 pounds (I'm 5"7') with not a lot of effort.

I try to walk during my lunch & my breaks now, and I have a pedometer app that tracks how many calories my daily movement burns. You're supposed to walk 10,000 steps a day, but I barely get half that. Try walking around the block or even the mall just to get your body to make up for all of those hours sitting. Even just that will help!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    HI

No i do not want to get to 7 St again as i did feel quite unwell but i would like to get to about 8st or maybe a bit less
    Why are you aiming to be underweight?