Protein Bars..Are they worth it?

ellipse22
ellipse22 Posts: 137
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm trying to decide whether or not I should include a protein bar into my diet.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what type if I go this route?

TIA

Replies

• I only use protein bars when I know I don't have a lot of time to prepare a meal. In fact, I'm having one for breakfast with a banana. I've been using Special K's protein bars (not the breakfast bars).
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    I guess it just depends on how much protein you're trying to get into your diet and how many other sources of protein you eat.
    I try and get 35-40% protein. I can't eat enough eggs and meat etc.... to fit it into my diet, so I normally will eat a protein bar or have a shake. I love them!

Pure Protein has pretty good bars with a great carb:protein ratio. Promax bars are also delicious!
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    I like them...I eat them alot...keeps me away from eating other junk
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    I like them...I eat them alot...keeps me away from eating other junk

me too, the special k protein meal bars in chocolate/peanut butter.. mmm! its MY version of a snickers!
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,206 Member
    I love mine. I have it as a snack before I go and work out. It really does keep me full compared to other options and its yummy. Sepcial K Chocolate Chip :D
  • I only use protein bars when I know I don't have a lot of time to prepare a meal. In fact, I'm having one for breakfast with a banana. I've been using Special K's protein bars (not the breakfast bars).

I have not seen these Special K protein bars....Where can you get them?

I wanted to up the protein in my diet or just ensure I get the protein I need because I can be a picky eater. Also, with my work schedule it's been difficult to maintain the level of protein I need.

Thanks for the tips!!
  • I've just started incorporating Muscle Milk light into my diet, post-workout. I haven't been getting enough protein and it offers a 100 Calorie solution.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    I've just started incorporating Muscle Milk light into my diet, post-workout. I haven't been getting enough protein and it offers a 100 Calorie solution.

I love those...I buy them in bulk at Sams...I have one after every workout
  • Celestia
    Celestia Posts: 106 Member
    I think they are definitely part of a good diet for a variety of reasons: They include extra protein (especially if you are exercising as protein is essential in rebuilding the body), can satisfy a chocolate craving, they help curb hunger, and they are conveinent.

Look out for bars that have too much sugar though...

I personally like the Think Thin bars, they have no sugar, 20gms of protein and they taste good!
  • RentThisSpace
    RentThisSpace Posts: 96 Member
    I use EAS's Myoplex Light Protein Shake. 20g of Protein and only 170 cal. Great for a snack between lunch and dinner.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    I had one a couple of weeks ago and I think it was the first chocolate bar I had in about 10 years. I loved it. But it took me half an hour to finish it.

Having said that, a lot of veggie burger patties have the same macro nutritional ratio (cal, carb, protein, fat) at a quarter of the price! My favourite is Sanitarium's "Vegie Deligh" range, "Not Burger". Its yum to eat straight out of the fridge, maybe with a little bit of tobasco sauce. Its fortified with iron, B12 and a bunch of other nutrients that vegetarians typically struggle to get, so its perfect for me. Also doesn't have all the other chemicals etc. They usually come in a pack of 4 for slightly less cost than one protein bar.
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    i GET THE special k bars at the supermarket in the nutrition aisle
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    I eat the PURE PROTEIN bars.....they taste great and really fill me up! Great source if ur looking to up ur protein!
This discussion has been closed.