Calorie Confused

Options
2»

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

I actually doubt that MFP would set her at 1200 though (it does me, because I'm shorter and weigh less). I was just suggesting following MFP recommendations. Given the amount of weight to lose, set it to a half pound or one pound loss only and see what it says. Come back and tell us, because I'm curious.

Also, the working out won't affect anything because MFP references net calories. So, workout more = eat more. I aim to net 1200 a day, but on my workout days, I can eat up to 2000 calories (gross calories) depending on what I did that day.

I find it easier not to have to keep track of the exercise calories. I don't use an HRM so the cal burns are just guesses. So I eat at TDEE - 20% and do not eat exercise cals. I don't have to wonder or worry about how much I am going to eat, it is the same every day. This has worked better for me, because I set it up initially the MFP way and I wasn't successful. Now the weight is falling off.

And for me, 'granting' me extra calories to eat based on exercise I may or may not do leads to eating extra and then being lazy and not working out later as I promised. For me, leads to overeating. Everyone has to find what works for them but I find the MFP method (letting the software do the work) far less complicated and easier to be successful with.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Generally, I suggest eating at least your BMR.

I have not really seen enough data for me to suggest NETTING your BMR, but there seems to be a good amount for eating BMR at least.

A large majority of highly successful people here all eat their BMR or above. Some go further and argue how much you should net overall.

Net calories refers to calories eaten minus calories exercised. You can net 1200 and eat over your BMR of 1600+. You can net 1 calorie and be eating above BMR as well.
  • jenjenn76
    Options
    I'm one of the few who doesn't eat back calories burned during intentional workouts. I'm trying to lose weight. I am building lean muscle by using resistance training and I'm burning about 500 calories a day during cardio (running and spinning) and I'm losing about 1-2lbs per week which is very healthy. I eat 1200-1300 per day and I make sure my sugar stays under 30g and my carbs are good, healthy carbs like whole grains and veggies and that my fat intake is good fat. I don't see the point in eating back calories burned. As long as you eat after you workout, you are not going to lose muscle and if you try to work out on an empty stomach (or about 2 hours after you eat) your body will use fat as fuel. I'm not a body builder so I don't need to eat 2000 calories a day. My advice... as a woman... stick to lower - HEALTHY - calories and keep doing what you are doing at the gym and the weight will fall off. Just pick a number and stick to it, even when you work out.