Weight Loss Surgery?

Options

Replies

• amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have had friends who have had WLS and done Amazing one lost over 100lbs in less than a year the other 90lbs in 7 months but one thing that is universal no matter what route u take is u HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR MENTAL AND YOUR HABITS OF SICKNESS TO THOSE OF HEALTH....or with any program or plan or whatever YOU WILL GAIN YOUR WEIGHT BACK!! SO MAKE THE LIFESTYLE CHANGE THE FIRST TIME AROUND:)
  • MDixon26
    MDixon26 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I had Gastric Bypass on 10/10/12. Feel free to friend me! I don't regret my surgery at all. I used MFP for over a year prior to surgery while trying to lose wait (it was my last effort to lose weight without surgery). I lost 13lbs (which I was damn proud of!) But since the start of my 2 week liquid diet prior to surgery I've lost almost 50lbs.

Like other people say, this isn't an easy fix. I have to eat healthy (and I'm still not eating grains) and exercise like a demon. The most important thing is having a support team in place though. My doctor's office has a RN coordinator, a nutritonist, a psychologist, and others who work with you through the entire process. Make sure you have something like this to get you through! People who have support, go to their follow up appointments, and support group meetings lose more weight and keep it off better.

http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2007/6/19/90237.shtml
  • bka3601
    bka3601 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the support everyone, I realize that I didn't mention what type of surgery I was going to have......I chose the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. I did read the posts regarding making sure I thought it thru and try myfitnesspal for a longer period of time before I decide to have surgery but even though I just joined this site I have tried a few others that provided a similar service. This has been my struggle.....Monday - Friday at lunch time I can follow a reduced calorie lifestyle with no problem at all. I get to the weekend and by Sunday evening my will power is gone and I always seem to erase the progress of the previous week. I know that much of my problem is in my head and using surgery to fix that is not a good idea, however, the obstacle that I have built seems so massive that without this tool I don't think I will ever be able to get the ball rolling. With the reduced ability to binge eat, I know after I see real results that will give me the motivation to get back to my "fighting weight". I know that everyone will not agree but this is the decision i have made. I really appreciate the "community" of people willing to help, I certainly feel as though it will be a big part of my success.....please don't hesitate to contact me with anything you think will help and I promise to keep everyone posted on my progress
  • IsabellaG35
    Options
    Have you ever attempted managing your macros (calories/fats/carbs) on a site like this before for weight loss? If this is your first attempt, I would highly suggest looking through some of the success stories at the amazing people who have done this without a surgery. The surgery won't fix you, it will just keep you from eating which is something that you're capable of changing yourself without an expensive, risky surgery. Instead of having a surgery and THEN learning about maintaining a healthy diet and exercise, it'd be so much safer to just work on the diet/exercise aspect right now and avoid unnecessary surgery.

Either way, good luck :flowerforyou:

I couldn't agree more with you. My sister had the surgery back in May and although all went well and she's down 70 lbs, in my opinion the surgery was not needed. (Especially with the whole hair thinning thing.) I've seen women drop over 100lbs in that same time frame. It's all about will and dedication. I myself lost 80lbs about 8 years ago and have since then kept it off. Eating right and exercising does the trick ;) 30 years old and in the best shape of my life!
  • Mlek1969
    Mlek1969 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had WLS surgery last week. I chose vertical sleeve also. I'm so glad I did it! Feel free to friend me!
  • jfontanna
    jfontanna Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Oh, this one hits close to home for me. I personally have not had surgery, but my wife did shortly before I met her. Here's our story in summary:

She had a Roun Y (spelling?) in 2005. Initially, she dropped around 100lbs. Since then, we've had just about every conceivable side-effect, next to death, and she's now almost back to the weight that she had started at. We've had 5 supporting surgeries since the initial, including a complete removal of the remnant stomach due to tissue breakdown and internal bleeding. She has never gotten over the flap of skin that occurs from sudden weight loss. She's unable to eat a number of food, as they make her vomit. She also has had a ton of problems with ulcers to the point where one perforated (broke through the lining and started spewing gastric juices into her abdomen. Right now, she's scarred all over her abdomen from all of the surgeries, and we're not able to really have any more surgeries due to scar tissue. Her last surgery infected horribly and I ended up packing a 2" x 3" section just under her breastbone. We've had drainage tubes put in and taken out a couple of times. We've gone through 5 different gastro docs, until we ended up at Mayo in Rochester, MN. (Shout out to Dr. Saar... he's been a life saver! Literally.)

I guess what I'm trying to say is make sure you do your homework. Side-effects are listed because they happen, and they should server as a warning.

I wish you luck and good health with or without the surgery.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Oh, this one hits close to home for me. I personally have not had surgery, but my wife did shortly before I met her. Here's our story in summary:

She had a Roun Y (spelling?) in 2005. Initially, she dropped around 100lbs. Since then, we've had just about every conceivable side-effect, next to death, and she's now almost back to the weight that she had started at. We've had 5 supporting surgeries since the initial, including a complete removal of the remnant stomach due to tissue breakdown and internal bleeding. She has never gotten over the flap of skin that occurs from sudden weight loss. She's unable to eat a number of food, as they make her vomit. She also has had a ton of problems with ulcers to the point where one perforated (broke through the lining and started spewing gastric juices into her abdomen. Right now, she's scarred all over her abdomen from all of the surgeries, and we're not able to really have any more surgeries due to scar tissue. Her last surgery infected horribly and I ended up packing a 2" x 3" section just under her breastbone. We've had drainage tubes put in and taken out a couple of times. We've gone through 5 different gastro docs, until we ended up at Mayo in Rochester, MN. (Shout out to Dr. Saar... he's been a life saver! Literally.)

I guess what I'm trying to say is make sure you do your homework. Side-effects are listed because they happen, and they should server as a warning.

I wish you luck and good health with or without the surgery.

Thanks for providing your input. I've seen similar threads as this where there were far more people responding who had had weight loss surgery and had many negative effects and life threatening complications to share. Weight loss and, even better, good health, can be achieved by dietary change. For some of us, including myself, that may mean choosing a lifestyle that bears no resemblance to the Standard American Diet. Battling constant hunger/craving is futile and unnecessary.
  • anghigdon
    anghigdon Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have gone back and forth on my decision to have WLS for close to 7 years and have just FINALLY made the decision to have Gastric Bypass. In fact, I'm scheduled for surgery on January 7th! It's been a really long journey for me but I had to be sure it was the right decision before I completely altered my digestive system! I have so many emotions and thoughts about it and alot of anxiety but I know if my heart that it's the right decision for me.

The ony advice I can offer is to make sure this is the right decision for YOU! Do your research, talk to people who have been through it.. Maybe consider attending a support group.

Feel free to friend me if you'd like and whatever decision you make, I wish you the best of luck!
  • NewMomma1982
    NewMomma1982 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all! I had my gastric sleeve surgery on Monday and am recovering without much problem. I have been a member of MFP for over 2 years. I love the support and setup of it. I'd love to have any fellow weight loss surgery friends add me on here, even if you're just considering it. My major suggestion that I haven't seen made yet is that weight loss surgery will only address the physical. To really change your relationship with food on both a mental and emotional level, it takes much more. Which is why I am now a member of OA (overeaters anonymous). I can't imagine going through this process without the knowledge I have gained there over the last six weeks. I highly recommend that anyone that feels like they have a less than healthy relationship with food, check it out. We should be feeding our bodies.....not our souls! :)
  • Lindabummy1
    Lindabummy1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Just signed on this site today. Met with surgeon yesterday and passed all those lab and xrays and ekg's endoscopy etc that needs to be done... My surgery is scheduled for 1/4. Nervous but excited. Did a lot of research on the subject and read lot of books and internet research and it seems to indicate that the sleeve can work just as well as the bypass cause when they remove part of the stomach, it also includes the grelin that can cause hunger. I agree with you... just a tool... lot of work on my part, but I am ready for it. Had the lap band about 5 1/2 yrs ago and lost about 90 lbs, then started having problems and put some back on over the past year. Tests indicated that band slipped and not fixable cause they couldn't guarantee that if another band was put in it would hold and the insurance would only cover one revision. They thought part of the problem it might have rejected is that in addition to other comorbidities I have, the multiple sclerosis I have maybe have been part of the culprit. I opted for the sleeve and am glad and looking forward to. Worked too hard to still keep off 70 pounds, have still that much more to go. I feel, for me, I am making the right decision, especiall since the lap band needs to be removed so it doesn't cause problems later since it slipped. The surgery will be a little more complicated because there will be scar tissue from the first surgery, which will make it a little harder than just putting in a "new surgery" so to speak. I like my surgeon, very experienced, good reviews, before he came to our state, he was the Director of the Bariatric Surgery center at Mayo Clinic, so I feel like he knows what he is doing. I wish you luck and you can add me as your friend. Hope you are still doing good and that I come thru this good. Little nervous
  • sammythorpe
    Options
    Hi, I had the gastric sleevign 5 months ago and to date I have lost 23kg (50lbs) without any side effects. I contemplated the surgery for 12 months before seeing the surgeon, and had tried everything to get in conrol of my weight.

At only 25 I feel much more confident in myself. I am only halfway through, but luckily my skin is coming back into shape with me.

I don't count this as a quick fix, and know that it will take me another 18 months to lose the weight. I joined the gym when my weight loss stopped, and it kick started it again, and have been seeing a pt twice a week for the last 3 months. This has helped so much.

With the surgery though, my surgeon did recommend that I sit around the 700 - 1000 calories a day mark. Most days I average 800 - 900. If you take the vitamin supplement like you are supposed to you shouldn't have any risks from this defecit.

Good luck, and take your time with the stages afterwards - it's the best way to keep your stomach happy and small.

If you want some fun recepies or any help with it, feel free to add me.

Samantha
  • DeborahBatewell
    DeborahBatewell Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I had the lap band placed in me in 2006 and had problems from the beginning. My doctor was more concerned about a paycheck than my health. I had a lot of problems with acid reflux which pretty much should have excluded me from the operation. I still have the band in me but never had it filled because of my problems a. reflux. Food gets stuck all the time and it feels like I'm having heart attack when it does. I have a lot of friends whom also had the surgery and later had complications and had to have it removed like slippage, erosion, blockages, and hernias. The removal is worse than the surgery itself which is only four small incisions, but they cut you wide open from your sternum to your naval to remove it. If you are having this surgery I would think twice about it. I wish they had this site when I got mine. Good luck. You can friend me if you'd like. Take care and God Bless.
  • florascarbrough
    Options
    I had RNY on 12-13-11. Today is my 1 year anniversary. I have lost 146 lbs since my surgery. Feel free to add me.
  • Lindabummy1
    Options
    I appreciate your concern and really have thought about it long and hard. They are able to do it laprascopically and are going to use the same ports as before when they did the lap band, maybe opening the one that the port is attached to a little bit bigger to pull the dead band and the stomach portion that is removed out. Talked to a few people who have had the revisions. It is a more serious surgery, but they are doing okay and I can't just leave this hanging around in me.. I want to continue the good way I have been doing and will pray that the recovery time comes okay. My job is giving me 5 weeks to recuperate and I got approved for flma for that time. So I won't totally be without income,. I appreciated it and they were the ones that brought it up to me.. Got lucky that the insurance is willing to cover it also. At my age, which I think is a little more advanced than a lot of you youngun's :), if I wait longer possible insurance could change and and no longer cover in the future and I will be a chicken liver and not do when I have had the opportunity to do.. Thus,.,.,.,. Going in with eyes wide open and feel like I am making the correct decision. Will keep you all posted
  • threeonethree
    threeonethree Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It's a major decision to get the surgery. My uncle had it done a few months ago and has worked wonders. It's rough though. Not a walk in the park by any stretch of the imagination. Good luck!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I would have weight loss surgery in a heart beat if I had the money - which is why I have joined this site, so I can do it myself! I think the fact that people who are overweight are stigmatized to the point where they consider being cut open to be a socially 'normal' weight is a little bit upsetting though. But you gotta do these things for yourself and no-one else I guess!

The point of Weight loss surgery isn't Vanity or Stigma. If you are a candidate for it you need it for your health. My sister is a lead nurse in a Bariatric program and you have to have a seriously high bmi AND other weight related problems before they'll get you in the program and they have meetings you go to and you have to see a psychologist and jump through a bunch of hoops before you get approved plus you'll have to get approved by your insurance as well.

She was trying to sell me on the lapband but I've laproscopic surgery before (gallbladder) and that was enough. Besides once you have the band, they fill/empty it with a needle and I hate needles. I have to pull my hat down over my face when I give blood.

Oh and saying that weight loss surgery is the easy way out is like saying "you can lose weight if you just stop stuffing your pie hole" That should offend all of us, those people who opted for weightloss surgery still have to work at getting healthy, it just gives them a better than a fighting chance.
  • albelite
    albelite Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am in the UK, i got the funding from the NHS for the bypass and went to have my assessments and was due to have it about 4 months later, BUT I chickened out as was worried it was too drastic, I have lost 9 stone on my own and thought I can do it again.....I gained over 4 stone of it back and have just come onto MFP for moral support as I still feel the same way about the surgery even though the funding is still there for me for over a year now. I am losing ok at the moment, and I feel hopeful and started swimming etc, I have been quite ill with all this extra weight gained and wondered if I had made the right decision to pull out at the last minute and being a 'chicken'. I love it on this site and get inspiration to carry on but with my diabetes wonder if I should have gone ahead. I would appreciate some feedback and wondered if anyone else is in the same position as me and opted for the d.i.y method instead. Add me as a friend if anyone likes, thanks Sue
  • Lindabummy1
    Options
    hi, i am so sorry about your problem, but I did not have the problem with the surgery that some are saying they had. I had a band for 5 years, then it slipped. Had to have a revision to have the band removed and decided to do the gastric sleeve in place. The revision surgery took a little longer as they had to remove the band that was laying over my liver, and they removed the band and part of my stomach for the sleeve all at the same time. The surgery took about 2 1./2 hrs with no problem, they did not cut me wide open as you indicated would happen. They went thru laproscopically the same way they did the band. Had it done Friday and was home Sunday. Healing wonderfully with no problems. Maybe each person is different, but I wanted to give others who might have this problem another set of information from someone who actually had the whole revision done. For me it was not as bad as some might think it to be. I am not sorry I did it. Just wanted to put another perspective out there. Good luck to all
  • HopeNafr
    Options
    I was a past member here and lost 120lbs and guess what I am almost 2 months out from Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy and I felt it was the best decision for me. I have PCOS so I had lost all I could by myself me and my dr decided. I am now off most of my meds and the PCOS is reversing. I love my sleeve and for the first time in my life everything "works". With my old stomach I had Gerd so bad at time I couldn't even swallow water.
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hi, all!

Great thread and many great points. I had VSG three weeks ago today. I'm 52 and considered a "lightweight" in the WLS world at a starting weight of "only" 220 pounds. I can't stress enough that the decision to have or not have surgery is a very individual one. I struggled with this decsion and opted to have it for the following reasons:

1. A 4 decade history of marginal (20-25#) weight loss with regaining it every time.
    2. Heavy ALWAYS - from childhood on. I should weigh 140 at the most and have no recollection of EVER weighing that! Probably for 5 minutes in Junior High!
    3. A family history of stroke and heart disease.
    Most importantly...
    4. Multiple health concerns aside from the numbers on the scale, including High BP for the past 30 years, borderline cholesteral and sleep apnea.

At 5'3" I carried my 220 pounds evenly... I wore a size 14-16 and looked OK. Vanity alone would have never driven me to this procedure. My metabolic issues did. Let me tell you, the result has been nothing short of miraculous! In ONE WEEK I was off 2/3 of my meds, and I expect I'll be off everything by my next appointment. I've only lost 25 pounds so far (10 before surgery, 15 since). I've lost this much before on my own and have NEVER seen the resulting changes to BP - even with meds and weight loss and working out it's always been 130 to 140's over 90's. I work out regularly and have for years - I've run (OK - not fast but I finish!) 5K's, do Bikram yoga, etc) with no change in BP. One week after surgery and it was in the 90's over 60's! Too low! My surgeon was not surprised and said he considers himself a metabolic specialist, not a weight loss specialist. In fact, the medical community is seeing great results with people of normal weight with certain diseases such as diabetes. See link below...

http://asmbs.org/benefits-of-bariatric-surgery/

Anyway, if I never lose another pound (and I'm sure I will!) I'm glad I went through with this for just the opportunity to control my BP! I had NO problems (the anesthesia was the worst part! My throat hurt more than anything!) and was back at the gym and work after 2 weeks.

Friend me if you like - I'd be happy to be a sounding board for anyone struggling with this decision. I totally respect those who do it on their own, by the way. Wish I could have, but not sorry I made this choice at all! Minimal side effects with the sleeve, but it is a major decision. Good luck to all who are considering it!