Goals

Options
How do people choose their goal weight? I've picked 115lbs as mine as I remember weighing that much a few years ago and it's about what my sister weighs. We are both short and small framed and she looks amazing, so I would like to copy. However a friend of mine doing the Tescodiet club thing used their ideal body weight calculator, when she entered my details in it came up with 109lbs. Thats quite a big difference from what I was thinking, almost half a stone. Though this weight would, according to the government website, give me a BMI of 21which it thinks is also ideal. However, If my sister lost that much I think she would look skinny, so feeling I might ignore the ideal weight calculator and just stick with my picked out of the air goal.
So my question is how do you people decide on your goal weight, do you use these calculators and tools or just decide for your self.
Many thanks for your answers

Replies

• tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    For me, i havent been thin in so long I dont really know where my body needs to be. I picked the high end of the BMI scale as an "area" I want to be, but as I approach that I can re-evaluate to see how i feel, how I look, and if i need to go down more.

It is all about a journey, not a destination. Just eat healthy, and feel good.. thats the goal.
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    I would say that if you feel you would be healty and comfortable at that weight, then that is where you should be. If you become obsessive over what others think you should weigh, you open yourself to eating disorders.

But, I would also be somewhat hesitant about using your sister's weight as a guide, unless you are identical twins. My sister probably weighs around 130 soaking wet. I on the other hand would be "skinny" at 165. Remember, you are two different people, even though you are closely related.
  • jenjen84
    jenjen84 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Right before I got pregnant with my first daughter I went on atkins and lost 45 pounds, at 135 my husband said that I look sickly so I gained 15 back and he said that I looked much healthier. So 150ish is my goal which is the high end of my heights healthy range!! I think it is all about how you feel when you get to a certain weight you just know!
  • StaceG1986
    Options
    Altogether I need to lose 4 and a half stones to be my ideal weight for my height, but I'm doing it in a kind of half and half way, so my first goal is to lose about 2 and a half stones (I prefer to work in stones rather than lbs, I think it's a British thing lol), then when I get there I will set my next goal :smile:

Stacey
  • 3littlegirls
    Options
    I went with the highest healthy weight on the BMI, and i'll re-evaluate when i get there. Haven't been at that point in a decade, so don't know if that's going to be a good weight, or if i'll need to lose more.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I went for something in the middle of the BMI chart for my height. It said 107-120 so I went with 115.
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Ditto the last post. Look for the healthy weight range for you and shoot for something in the middle. Any thing lower than that is bonus.

The goal is to be healthy not just skinny!
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    For me, i havent been thin in so long I dont really know where my body needs to be. I picked the high end of the BMI scale as an "area" I want to be, but as I approach that I can re-evaluate to see how i feel, how I look, and if i need to go down more.

It is all about a journey, not a destination. Just eat healthy, and feel good.. thats the goal.

I am with you. This is how I approached it also.
  • chocolatecat
    Options
    I have gone for just inside the ideal bracket. If I feel comfortable I will stay that way, if I don't I'll try to lose some more.

You wont know until you reach that stage how you will look & feel
  • michilynn
    michilynn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The highest "healthy" weight for me is 145 lbs. Since I am thick framed I have decided to go for that. When I was my smallest in high school I weighed around 125 lbs. That would probably be the absolute lowest I would want to go...

So I'm just trying to get into the healthy range and then reevaluate my "goal weight" at that point!
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    For me, I look at what the "healthy" range for weight is for my height and age. That range, for me is 135 to 169 pounds at 5'9" and 30 years of age. Now I know that when I was 20 and weighed 135 I was very thin, and also I know that after having a child I'm not likely to get there again. I'm aiming for 150 or so, but I think as I get closer to my goal I'll reassess ever 10 pounds or so. It all depends on you and your body type and your own comfort. I don't put too much stock into those things, I more guage by how I feel.