What Am I Doing Wrong?

Options
Hi! I have been keeping track of my eating and exercising for over a month now. The first week or so, I lost 1 1/2 pounds. Since then, I haven't lost a thing - three weigh-ins that I have stayed at the same weight.

I am exercising 5-6 times per week, usually for 45 minutes or more. Very cardio stuff - running and the elliptical machine. MFP tells me my that my daily calorie intake should be about 1200 calories, but when factoring in exercise that usually goes up to about 1600. I try to stay around 1400 to avoid starvation mode. I'm careful to count everything, even drinks, and I'm not snacking on things that I don't count. I'm drinking 8+ glasses of water a day.

So, I don't know what gives - shouldn't I be losing weight? Any thoughts/advice? I'm feeling very frustrated and disappointed.

Thanks, all!

Replies

• amboardman
    amboardman Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hang in there and be patient! You may want to try measuring yourself, and look at inches lost. Just because the scale isn't moving as fast as you want it to doesn't mean that you aren't making progress! Good luck!:smile:
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    By the sounds of it you arent doing anything wrong. Maybe not eating the "right" foods, sometimes you can stay within your goal but if you choose the wrong calories it makes it harder. Lean meats, lots of veggies, as little processed food as possible.

also, any time you change anything it takes your body time to adjust.. dont give up so quickly.... shoot, ive been on this journey for awhile, and I was stuck at the same weight for about 15 days, just saw the scale move 1 pound today for the first time in 15 days... finally off the plateau... it happens to us all, but if you keep doing the right things you will have results... sometimes patience is as important as what you are doing.

good luck to you
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    It is important to know that doing only cario work will not get you all the results you want. As an example, if you want abs, you have to do more than situps and crunches. It is important to incorporate other aspectes of working out to your routine. If you are doing 45 mins 5-6 times a week, look into adding an extra 15 mins to your workout routine (if you can) and focus on using some weights, resistance bands, stability balls, bosu to your routine as well. Don't know what to do with weight machines, free weights or the other equipment? As a gym attendant for some tips, that is what they are there for.
    Also a note about using the elliptical, its not the most effective 'cardio' machine to use. You really aren't getting all that you can from a cario work out using the elliptical. You are better off to use the treadmill or a stationary bike.

As a side note, I really enjoy the aerobics classes that my gym offers. This is because even if it is a cario class, we usually take 10 mins to do some strenght training. Also those classes have really taught me different ways I can work out my body to focus on my targetted areas.

Good Luck, and I hope this helped.
  • ErikaSudz
    Options
    I agree check your measurements. Muscle weighs more than fat. Also in your food log go to customize it and keep track of your sodium so you do not retain water. My guess though is that you lost some inches. I've seen people work their butts off for a month straight and not lose but 2 pounds. I think the body freaks out initially then once it catches up with what you are doing the weight will start falling off. Also, do not stress about it, that is going to work against you. Just keep working and know in your head that your body will catch up.

Good luck and keep it up.

Erika