Lifting weights to lose weights?

Options
Good morning, Friends!

Have any of you had success with lifting weights to lose weight? I always feel that I must include some form of cardio in order to lose weight, but have recently read about people who have only lifted weights and lost weight. I guess the idea with that is that as you build muscle it causes you to burn more calories post workout. Anyway, I'm just curious if anyone has had success with this method? Thoughts?

God bless,

Laura

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Me me me....

Dropped 70 pounds (so far) this year by lifting and diet.
  • Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I've had success with it & enjoy it quite a bit!!! I like it more than cardio though I do mix up my routine with both. Hit those weights woman!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Kateswalsh
    Kateswalsh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight by lifting but I do like to combine some cardio in between rotations. It keeps my heart pumping.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i lost 80lbs by lifting weights , functional training and cardio .. have to mix it up but more than anything you have to find what works for you.i dont like functional training . i do it because its really good for my core and burning fat .. i love weights and am ok with cardio..started playing basketball a hand full of times a week now because its more fun and busy than just running
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    i used to be the biggest pro-weight lifting advcates around. id hardly do cardio and i was in great shape. this time around, two kids later, i was too big and lacked the self confidence to do free weigths. i finally got over myself and i am right back to lifting free weights and not only do i feel great but i am seein much better results. u get the leaner look with weights. :)
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    you definetly do not need cardio ONLY exercises to lose weight. But you are also getting cardio workouts from lifting weights. I always am sure to do the weightlifting first, then cardio only if i have extra time.
  • itsjms
    Options
    Weight lifting is the #1 way to lose weight. Each pound of muscle gained is ~7% increase in your BMR.

However, as a female your genetics will only leave you at 6 - 9 pounds of muscle in the first year, 3 - 4.5 pounds in the second and even less in the third. Thus your genetic maximum capacity to burn calories would theoretically increase (Assuming perfect genetics) within two years to 94.5% after two years of lifting 4-5 days/week. Cardio is a fast fix. Lifting is a long term fix.
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    bump.... very interested in this topic!!!
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating less calories than you burn. You keep\gain muscle and make your body look better with resistance training. My preference is with barbells, but properly done bodyweight can get you pretty far.
  • lauralogan2010
    lauralogan2010 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone! Great responses. Does anyone have a specific weight lifting workout that they follow and wouldn't mind sharing?

Thanks again!
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone! Great responses. Does anyone have a specific weight lifting workout that they follow and wouldn't mind sharing?

Thanks again!

5x5 stronglifts. google it. youtupe the exercises if you don't know them. Do them, lift heavy, see results!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    ok, here's the deal.

Weight loss happens when you burn more cals than you consume... cals in vs cals out... the energy balance equation.

So as long as your are burning more than you are consuming, you'll lose weight. You can do that with exercise or without. If you chose to incorporate exercise, it can be cardio or strength training. Cardio and strength training (i.e. heavy lifting) have different effects on the body, but they both burns cals and thus both help you get into the ever important calorie deficit.

And because I'm too big of a jerk to let it slide, I HAVE to say this (yes, I know it's a matter of semantics, but it needs to be said)...

All those people who say they lost weight lifting or running or kick boxing or whatever... WRONG. They lost weight by eating less cals than they burned. It wasn't the exercise that caused the weight loss, it was the deficit. This is an important distinction to make because people who don't want to exercise (or who can't exercise) CAN STILL LOSE WEIGHT through proper eating.

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Thanks again!

Look at the first link. I recommend the routine in the second link for people trying to lose weight because it is slower strength progression and eaier to manage while eating a calorie deficit.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933
  • VitVit18
    VitVit18 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't know the exact amount of weight I lost after I started lifting free weights in February, but it's been enough for friends and family to start taking notice, new work clothes needed to be purchased, and my collarbone to become unearthed!

I had a personal trainer and he started me on basically a "starting strength" type program. Focusing on the compound lifts (squats and benches for me). Personally, I warm up with some quick cardio first (about 10 minutes) and then get into my lifts. Like someone else said, bodyweight work can go a long way too!
  • Marge321
    Marge321 Posts: 131 Member
    Options

Thanks again!

Check out New Rules of Lifting for Women. Very interesting book with fun exercises that don't take forever. Good way to start !
  • lauralogan2010
    lauralogan2010 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Great! Thanks everyone! :smile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I didn't start seriously lifting until after I reached my goal weight (oh, do I wish I started sooner!) but I've completely transformed my body shape through lifting.
  • brigette621
    Options
    In my experience, the more muscle you have the more calories your body burns even at rest. Losing weight is 75% your food intake. This is the main and most important part of losing weight. Cardio is necessary to burn fat. However, cardio alone can leave you as what I describe as "soft skinny". Lifting weights can drastically change the shape of your body. So moral of the story is...combine all 3. So to lose weight - eat clean, cardio 5 days a week and weight lifting at least 2 days a week.
  • Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    Options

Thanks again!

5x5 stronglifts. google it. youtupe the exercises if you don't know them. Do them, lift heavy, see results!
    I personally lift 3x12. The idea and goal I agree with and that is to push yourself and struggle on the final reps. When I lift I am sure to not rush it and throw the weights around - I see a lot of that improper form at the gym & it makes me cringe. Get the most out of each lift both on the way out & in.
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I do Stronglifts 5x5 and found it to be outstanding. I actually put weight on at first and then reached a tipping point where the weight then started to come off. It works differently for everyone though.