Laundry Detergent for your workout gear

Options
2»

Replies

• Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I use Tide Sport with febreeze. I love the scent and it doesn't make me itch like other detergents.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't care. I'm not going to a dinner party in my gym clothes.
  • sheclimber
    sheclimber Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    We use Sport Suds, I order it from Amazon. Ive been pretty happy with it. Before that we were using Penguin Sport Wash which worked pretty well too and that I was able to pick up at stores (REI particularly) without having to order it but I think Sport Suds works a little better. Between my husband (marathon/trail runner/mtn biker) and I (occasional runner/ bike rider) our stuff gets pretty rank since we tend to be more of the endurance type than the one hour workout and our workout clothes hamper fills up pretty quick. I also don't put any of our stuff in the dryer it all gets hung up to dry which has helped our things last longer than the wicking fabric continue to keep wicking longer as well.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    It really depends on what kind of "work out " clothes you have. If they are regular cotton-type clothes any detergent will work. However if you are wearing actual work out/wicking material clothing you need to take special care. Regular detergent will break down the wicking aspect of the clothing much faster. Also you NEVER want to heat dry your clothing. If you are wearing wicking material, I suggest using vinegar in cold water then hang dry. I will occasionally use a dye/odor free detergent (like once a week) Hope that helps :)
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I must not be working out hard enough... the regular stuff I wash my clothes in seems to be fine for me :)

Same here. I just use Tide.
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I use normal laundry detergent but make sure I add some liquid in-wash anti-bacterial stuff. I know Dettol make one, as do Canesten but they're Australian brands. Not sure what the US equivalent is... as long as it's a "kills germs and bacteria" thing :)
  • wooddie14
    wooddie14 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    So Tide with Febreeze huh...I'll have to try it. I'm an Amazon junky so maybe I'll try the Sports Suds too. I have a shirt that went through the first P90X with me and it still has a tinge of funk with it!!
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I just use whatever is on sale (not married to any particular brand) but the extra-stinky stuff gets soaked in a bucket filled with warm water and about a cup of white vinegar (a tip I picked up here on MFP) - seems to do the trick.

Vinegar works great, I just through 1/2 cup into the laundry with the clothes and then whatever detergent we happen to have. I also do not machine dry the cloths as this seems to set the stink in.

I love this idea - I bet it works on diabetic sweat too!
  • rwhawkes
    rwhawkes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My gym stuff doesn't stink, but I usually don't leave it in a heap when it's wet. I only wear shirts once cuz they get totally drenched, but shorts can be reused.

Hockey gear, on the other hand, won me the team award for most disgusting equipment.
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I don't have that issue I use my normal laundry detergent which is free and clear type (purex or all) as I have sensitive skin and have to watch what I use or i have major issues with my skin
  • ajpeardon
    ajpeardon Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Melaleuca brand is the only thing that gets the "onion like funk" out of my pre-teen sons under armor brand type shirts for under his football and baseball uniforms! Seriously, the stuff is magic and all natural! I know deodorant might help that too, but for some reason that is something he fights us on-gross, I know! We are waiting for a girl to tell him he smells and then maybe he will start "remembering" to wear it daily!!!! lol!

It's super concentrated so it lasts forever. Check out their web-site. www.melaleuca.com and it's called MelaPower® 6x Detergent. My Ironman competing sister uses it on her expensive high tech work out wear because it is supposed to be as gentle as water-she used to use the special restoring stuff doe sports gear. The Tide Febreese work out brand just made his shirts smell like flowery onions, didn't get rid of the "funk"!

Don't get me wrong, i'm not pushing the product, because I find it doesn't get the grass and food grease stains out of my boys clothes like my good old Tide did, so I have started using the MelaPower as a laundry booster with the Tide. But hey, if you are treating your workout gear separately anyway, then try it!

The only other problem with Melaleuca is you have to order online and "join" to get the "member" pricing. It's $14.50 for 48 load size non-member and $9.99 as a member. My hubby has a paypal account, so if anyone wants me to order it for them to try message me and I can ship it to you almost like an ebay purchase or something.
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    I use 20 Mule Team Borax along with my regular detergent. Works great!

This is what I do. I actually have to use a scent free soap because I have sensitive skin and the borax gets everything out! Helps with my hard water issues too. :smile:
  • drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I wash my workout clothes separate from the every day stuff. I use Penguin Sport Wash, but I also add my regular detergent in the pre-wash so get it all extra clean. I hate the funk you can smell when you start to sweating into your clothes after you've had them awhile. So far this routine has done the trick.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Tide Sport.

Not only does it get the sweaty funk out, but there's been times my cats have shown their displeasure in the status of the litterboxes with some performance art involving the laundry basket, and it's dealt with that olfactory assault, too.
  • naner61
    Options
    i used to have a huge problem gettin that smell away. and then i satarted to drink tons of water and i find that i dont have it anymore! so save ur money and drink tons of water.

I agree! worked for me!
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    brand: All Free and Clear.
    the sweat that is baked in, so to speak, will come out with Nature's Miracle. It's a product sold at pet stores to remove pet urine smell. I swear by it. Add about 1/4 cup to your load of wash.
    Or, put said garment into sink, put 1/4 cup to soak for a while (don't dilute), then wash. I've saved a ton of horribly stinky hot yoga clothes this way.