so let me get this straight

so i have a daily total of 1300 calories a day and i exercise everyday so your telling me if i wanna lose weight i need to eat all of those calories ?

Replies

• BeeRobin
    BeeRobin Posts: 160 Member
    Yes. If you don't...you may loose weight for a bit...then you'll plateau like me....(almost two months!). Eat. Move. Loose.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Correct.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    isnt it awesome!!!!
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Yummy Yummy more food.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Yes. Or perhaps even more, depending.
  • Yes that is right...If u don't u can tell the difference. Try come as close to 1300 as u can....
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Yes.
  • Depends on the individual. My trainer/nutritionist has told me to stick with 1400 (ish), and not to eat back my exercise calories. I've started losing again-slowly, but steadily. BUT, what works for me won't necessarily work for others.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Maybe.

When you setup your profile/goals, MFP asked you to set your activity level, remember? Did you factor in your workouts to that setting?

If so, then no, you do not and should not be eating back your exercise calories.
    If not, then yes, you should be eating them back.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Absolutely
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Depends on the individual. My trainer/nutritionist has told me to stick with 1400 (ish), and not to eat back my exercise calories. I've started losing again-slowly, but steadily. BUT, what works for me won't necessarily work for others.

Find a new trainer...STAT
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Yes. I eat back maybe 75% of them since I don't have an HRM so I compensate in case I'm overestimating how much I burn. But in simple terms, yes, eat them back.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Yes. If you do not eat them back, your stress levels will raise pretty quickly (hormonal) and your body will begin fiddling around with your energy expenditure to do its very best to limit or stop weight loss.

Basically, much like a savings account, if you have $1,000 in there and spend $5 at a time, you hardly think about how much you've spent total. But if you keep spending $250, you VERY quickly realize you need to reign in your spending. The body acts similarly.

Get enough calories in per day, get enough protein, and keep reasonable goals.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Yeah. Funny thing about the human body. It needs fuel to function properly.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    its counter intuitive for sure, and at first I had trouble wrapping my head around the whole concept.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Eat them. If you find that you are not losing or losing too slowly, try eating only a percentage of them. If you are losing too quickly or are overly hungry, eat a little more. It's not an exact science. Tweak it till it works for you.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Derp?

Seriously 1300+ calories is easy to eat - I eat that pretty much before dinner.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Eat them. If you find that you are not losing or losing too slowly, try eating only a percentage of them. If you are losing too quickly or are overly hungry, eat a little more. It's not an exact science. Tweak it till it works for you.

If things need altering, tweak your calorie goals, not what % of your exercise calories you "eat back".

You should always strive to be right with your estimating. Never introduce purposeful bias, even if it is to be "safe".

Adjustments to your loss rate should always be adjustments made to yoru goals.
  • HotDolphinMama
    HotDolphinMama Posts: 82 Member
    It's a confusing concept - so take your time wrapping your mind around it.
    The way I think of it is this - my body needs 1400 calories a day to function (basically sedentary). I want to lose WEIGHT, not lose muscle mass, energy, etc. This requires me to feed my body. Exercising uses energy also. So I need my basic calories (1400) plus I need some extra protein, etc for muscle fuel. You don't need to eat back all your exercise calories (I know some people will disagree, but this is just my honest opinion), but you do need to eat back a portion of them. You want a deficit, but you want that deficit to accumulate over the space of days or weeks depending on your weight loss goals. If you look at MFP goals, you will notice it won't even give an option for over 2 lbs a week, because it is just not healthy. It doesn't do any good to lose weight if what you lose is muscle mass - who wants to be fat/skinny???? It is much better to have solid muscle mass, with little extra on top than no muscle mass, with jiggly stuff on top. IMO.
  • 1MariaChristina
    1MariaChristina Posts: 93 Member
    To make a little more sense of it, because it is really science-y you can always google calorie deficits-I believe 3500 calories equal a lb and you want to loose lbs-i understand the science but im awful at explaining it - googling it would really be to your benefit because in addition to being really fascinating, it will help you tweak what you need to be it exercise or caloric intake to fit your needs-