What is your workout?

Options
I'm just curious of people's daily workout. In the past I lost 30lbs in 2 months just by dancing! I'm doing the same now but It seems that It's not working how I want. What do you do? Maybe I can get ideas from this...

Replies

• shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Zumba & Pilates :D
    I'm starting a kickboxing class soon too
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy.
    Jamie Eason LiveFit Trainer is a good place to start. Find it on Bodybuilding.com
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I walk 5 x's a week,30DS,and some yoga.Good luck doll!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious of people's daily workout. In the past I lost 30lbs in 2 months just by dancing! I'm doing the same now but It seems that It's not working how I want. What do you do? Maybe I can get ideas from this...

Awesome! You have to find what you love. For some reason I LOVE lifting and running, both, for over 30 years now.

The routine I do consists of weight lifting first and cardio second, but I still do cardio (mainly running). I change up everything all the time. My running is sometimes long easy runs, sometimes HIIT, sometimes shorter medium pace runs. My weight routine changes each day, each week, Circuits, Intermittent Super Sets, Fibonacci Pyramids, X-sets, Progress Venus Pyramids, and some splits, constantly changing it up, everything a variety of Strength, Hypertrophy, and Endurance.

These exercises are not done every day, but most days I do an all body workout just different exercises each time. I did not design it but have found it works beautifully. Every day is different and constantly changing, some days heavy low reps, some days moderate weight with medium reps, some days light with high reps, some days circuit style, some days pyramid style, etc.

Legs; In addition to Deadlift's, Stiff Leg Dead Lifts, Sumo Dead Lifts and Squats I do Bulgarian Split Squats, Lunges, Reverse lunges, Curtsey lunges, Step Ups, Crossover Bench Step Ups, One legged Deadlifts (T-Bend), Lunge Matrix, Bowler Squat, One Legged Get Ups, Bower Squat and Calf Raise, Bowler Squat + Stiff Leg Deadlift, Curtsey Lunge + Dumbbell Squat, T-Bend + Y-Squat, Reverse Lunge & Step Up, Curtsey Lunge + Step Up, Y-squat, Narrow Stance Squat

For upper body I do Standing Shoulder Press, Standing Dumbell Curls, Lying Tricep extension, Pullovers, Bent Barbell Row, Standing lateral Raise, Standing front Raise, Curl and Press, Shoulder Press + Curl, Dips, Lying Tricep Extensions + Flyes, Venus Raise (a type of snatch), Bent Row + Standing Lateral Raise, Pullovers, Pushup + Dips, Standing Dumbbell curls + Overhead Tricep Extension, Bent Lateral Raise + Pullovers, One Arm Dumbbell row, Flyes + Pushups, Seated Curl & Tate Press, Seated Curls + Overhead Tricep Extension, Pushups, Pullovers + Dips, Bent Barbell Row, Lateral Raise + Full Front Raise, Venus Raise + Dips, Standing Dumbbell curls + Lying Tricep Extension, Upright Row + Dips, Bent Barbell Row, Flat bench Press, Incline Bench Press, Bent Row Narrow, Bent Row + Kickback,

Then some upper and lower combos; Squat and Front Raise, Step Up & Press, Step Up + Standing Shoulder Press, Squat & Press, Squat & Swing, Curtsy Lunge + Standing Shoulder Pres, T-Bend & Row, Pike Front Rais + Curtsey Lunge, Flat Bench Press + Step Up.

Core: Bar Bell Rollouts (you can start out with Stability Ball Roll Outs), Swiss Ball Pikes (you can start out with Stability Ball Curl Ups), and planks. As you advance Swiss Ball Pike and pushup.

I probably forgot some but you get the idea.

Exercise is for making your lean body mass pretty (especially lifting weights) for when the fat is gone. Losing fat with no muscle is ugly and cardio alone will not make you pretty. You cannot out exercise too many calories.

Everyone needs resistance training to improve their health and bone density and this will especially improve your quality of life when you get older. But you will not gain all that much lean body mass as fast as everyone thinks. Guys of course will gain more. A DXA scan will prove the point. There are lots of stories about changing size but no one REALLY knows unless they do a DXA scan. Here's more about that --> http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/intermittent-fasting-and-bulking/ this is true whether you IF or not. My DXA scans proved that I really didn't gain that much lean body mass yet I look very muscular for a female. I have very high bone density from over 30 years of lifting yet my lean body mass is still only 104 lbs and my RMR is still only 1380.

I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also I believe it is why most people think I look much younger than I really am. Because of this I don't have to worry about osteoporosis. If you wait until you are older and your bones start to deteriorate it's a bit too late, you can't get back what you lost, and you can only start a resistance routine that will prevent further damage.

Cardio is good for you but it is optional. I love cardio, but you can't out exercise too many calories. Of course you burn calories, but not near what all the HRM's say. I learned the hard way, running marathon after marathon (yes even multiple runs during the day), as well as hitting the gym hard, martial arts, staying active all the time, not eating while watching TV, not binging, not mindlessly eating, not pigging out, not having emotional eating issues, yet I gained weight year after year, each decade putting on the pounds. I worked harder and harder, not able to figure out what was wrong. It didn't seem like I ate too much, but for my small size I did and didn't realize it until just a few years ago when I finally started losing weight by eating less.

Everyone is different, but it's very easy to do a lot of cardio and think you can eat more than you really need, especially when you need to lose weight. It is also easy to think that you are burning more fat than you really are. Just do cardio if you enjoy it and because it's good for you.

If you start to lift then you need to ignore the scale somewhat. You will continue to lose fat but your weight will fluctuate and your body adjusts to the new routine, you will get sore, you will get DOMS, it's ALL GOOD, enjoy the fact that you are making yourself more HEALTHY:

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

Wishing you the best! Bobbie
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy.
    Jamie Eason LiveFit Trainer is a good place to start. Find it on Bodybuilding.com

I did that one and made some nice progress. I'm doing another from bodybuilding.com that involves lifting 5 days/week and active rest days.
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    30DS and running
    Ripped in 30 and eliptical (getting cold)
    Circuit Training and rollerskating

Got to change it up to keep yourself interested!
  • HananYako30
    HananYako30 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    TaeBo, Denise Austin, and Tiffany Rothe workouts
  • Muscles_Curves
    Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm doing Insanity and CrossFit.

Starting in January I'm going to start running again.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Weights 4-5x a week
    Cardio - Once a week
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight exercise routine x 3 per week, including work on pullups and climbing suspended ropes
    2 x Yoga classes and 3 x home Yoga sessions per week
    1 or 2 half hour runs per week if the weather is ok and I feel like it
    2 x kettlebell sessions after a couple of my bodyweight sessions.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    If you just want to lose weight faster then exercise more or eat less. If you want to look good at the end, do some full body resistance training routine.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I lift weights 4x per week and do some mobility work on off days.

my "workouts" change almost every time.
  • mistresstomato
    mistresstomato Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do Kosama, which is kickboxing, cardio and kettle bells. Sometimes the cardio is a circuit class. It mixes things up and keeps me motivated
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Awesome! You have to find what you love. For some reason I LOVE lifting and running, both, for over 30 years now.

The routine I do consists of weight lifting first and cardio second, but I still do cardio (mainly running). I change up everything all the time. My running is sometimes long easy runs, sometimes HIIT, sometimes shorter medium pace runs. My weight routine changes each day, each week, Circuits, Intermittent Super Sets, Fibonacci Pyramids, X-sets, Progress Venus Pyramids, and some splits, constantly changing it up, everything a variety of Strength, Hypertrophy, and Endurance.

These exercises are not done every day, but most days I do an all body workout just different exercises each time. I did not design it but have found it works beautifully. Every day is different and constantly changing, some days heavy low reps, some days moderate weight with medium reps, some days light with high reps, some days circuit style, some days pyramid style, etc.

Legs; In addition to Deadlift's, Stiff Leg Dead Lifts, Sumo Dead Lifts and Squats I do Bulgarian Split Squats, Lunges, Reverse lunges, Curtsey lunges, Step Ups, Crossover Bench Step Ups, One legged Deadlifts (T-Bend), Lunge Matrix, Bowler Squat, One Legged Get Ups, Bower Squat and Calf Raise, Bowler Squat + Stiff Leg Deadlift, Curtsey Lunge + Dumbbell Squat, T-Bend + Y-Squat, Reverse Lunge & Step Up, Curtsey Lunge + Step Up, Y-squat, Narrow Stance Squat

For upper body I do Standing Shoulder Press, Standing Dumbell Curls, Lying Tricep extension, Pullovers, Bent Barbell Row, Standing lateral Raise, Standing front Raise, Curl and Press, Shoulder Press + Curl, Dips, Lying Tricep Extensions + Flyes, Venus Raise (a type of snatch), Bent Row + Standing Lateral Raise, Pullovers, Pushup + Dips, Standing Dumbbell curls + Overhead Tricep Extension, Bent Lateral Raise + Pullovers, One Arm Dumbbell row, Flyes + Pushups, Seated Curl & Tate Press, Seated Curls + Overhead Tricep Extension, Pushups, Pullovers + Dips, Bent Barbell Row, Lateral Raise + Full Front Raise, Venus Raise + Dips, Standing Dumbbell curls + Lying Tricep Extension, Upright Row + Dips, Bent Barbell Row, Flat bench Press, Incline Bench Press, Bent Row Narrow, Bent Row + Kickback,

Then some upper and lower combos; Squat and Front Raise, Step Up & Press, Step Up + Standing Shoulder Press, Squat & Press, Squat & Swing, Curtsy Lunge + Standing Shoulder Pres, T-Bend & Row, Pike Front Rais + Curtsey Lunge, Flat Bench Press + Step Up.

Core: Bar Bell Rollouts (you can start out with Stability Ball Roll Outs), Swiss Ball Pikes (you can start out with Stability Ball Curl Ups), and planks. As you advance Swiss Ball Pike and pushup.

I probably forgot some but you get the idea.

Exercise is for making your lean body mass pretty (especially lifting weights) for when the fat is gone. Losing fat with no muscle is ugly and cardio alone will not make you pretty. You cannot out exercise too many calories.

Everyone needs resistance training to improve their health and bone density and this will especially improve your quality of life when you get older. But you will not gain all that much lean body mass as fast as everyone thinks. Guys of course will gain more. A DXA scan will prove the point. There are lots of stories about changing size but no one REALLY knows unless they do a DXA scan. Here's more about that --> http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/intermittent-fasting-and-bulking/ this is true whether you IF or not. My DXA scans proved that I really didn't gain that much lean body mass yet I look very muscular for a female. I have very high bone density from over 30 years of lifting yet my lean body mass is still only 104 lbs and my RMR is still only 1380.

I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also I believe it is why most people think I look much younger than I really am. Because of this I don't have to worry about osteoporosis. If you wait until you are older and your bones start to deteriorate it's a bit too late, you can't get back what you lost, and you can only start a resistance routine that will prevent further damage.

Cardio is good for you but it is optional. I love cardio, but you can't out exercise too many calories. Of course you burn calories, but not near what all the HRM's say. I learned the hard way, running marathon after marathon (yes even multiple runs during the day), as well as hitting the gym hard, martial arts, staying active all the time, not eating while watching TV, not binging, not mindlessly eating, not pigging out, not having emotional eating issues, yet I gained weight year after year, each decade putting on the pounds. I worked harder and harder, not able to figure out what was wrong. It didn't seem like I ate too much, but for my small size I did and didn't realize it until just a few years ago when I finally started losing weight by eating less.

Everyone is different, but it's very easy to do a lot of cardio and think you can eat more than you really need, especially when you need to lose weight. It is also easy to think that you are burning more fat than you really are. Just do cardio if you enjoy it and because it's good for you.

If you start to lift then you need to ignore the scale somewhat. You will continue to lose fat but your weight will fluctuate and your body adjusts to the new routine, you will get sore, you will get DOMS, it's ALL GOOD, enjoy the fact that you are making yourself more HEALTHY:

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

Wishing you the best! Bobbie

JEBUS!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I lift 4 days a week and usually run 3 or 4 days a week (sometimes I lift and run on the same day). I vary my weight workouts a little bit and usually do one long run and two or three short runs per week (my runs have been lacking lately due to an injury). Sometimes I add in a day where I do barbell complexes or some kind of circuit deal or something.

I enjoy doing both running and lifting.
  • Belliny
    Options
    thank you all for answering i actually learned something out of this! i need more resistant, and weight lifting ..thanks guys!
  • songbirdtree
    Options
    I honestly like to do a little bit of everything! I'm not the type that enjoys 30 min on the elliptical 5x a week so I try to mix it up. My advice would be to look for Groupon or LivingSocial deals in your area where you can try new things - thanks to these deals I found two great exercises I love going to - hot yoga and turbo-kickboxing!
  • Belliny
    Options
    Good idea! I'm going to look into it!