yes...this again :P

Options
So...MFP sets me up for 1200 calories a day
I finally got my BMR which is 1,396.40
Which led me to my TDEE of 1,675
A quick calculation led me to a safe deficit of 1,340

Soooo...What exactly should I be eating? This doesn't include exercise.

Sorry if this is a question you see constantly...just trying to get a grasp on it. I honestly just need the correct # to aim for lol
Please & Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Yes this is the most asked question and most debated response... Prepare for a flood of info... Personally, I eat over 1200 calories, always under my TDEE and I don't eat back exercise calories... Do the biggest loser contestants eat back exercise calories... NO... Do I? NO... Should you? That is for you to answer for yourself.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    1200 is the floor of MFP. It will not set you under that.

If your TDEE is 1201 and you tell MFP you want to lose 5000000000000000000 pounds a second, it'll say 1200.

If MFP has you at 1200, the likely causes are:

1. Too ambitious of weight loss goals
    2. Person is significantly shorter than the standard population

Eat above BMR. Eat under TDEE. Eat back half your exercise calories. Eating back half to 3/4 of the calories in exercise helps to offset the fact calories burned is simply an estimate and is not 100% accurate.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Biggest loser contestants are aiming to lose the most in the shortest period of time. They are not looking to do it the most healthy and long term sustainable way.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

A safe deficit is not under your BMR. You need to be over your BMR and under your TDEE. MFP does math, you make the decision on what is safe. MFP won't go below 1200 no matter what you ask of it so don't assume that number is correct.
  • robinrsimmons428
    robinrsimmons428 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have been so confused about all of this but have finally come to the conclusion that I need to eat at least 1600 calories a day. After calculating my BMR and my TDEE this is what it gave me. If i need 1600 calories a day just to survive basically then I need to at least eat that amount. I was doing the 1200 calories and STARVING!!! Especially after I worked out. I haven't had a weigh in with this new calories set but will give it a good month or so to see what is happening. I am working out 5-6 days a week so at least I know I am doing something to help.

I want to thank everyone who has posted to all of those "should I eat my calories back/how many calories a day?" posts because i had become obsessed and I have never been like this. I think each time I attempt to lose weight a get a little bit more focused and this time is it!

Again, Thank you for all the help and I think I can say that for everyone who has had questions regarding this confussing subject!
    :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • jacquirich
    jacquirich Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Biggest loser contestants are aiming to lose the most in the shortest period of time. They are not looking to do it the most healthy and long term sustainable way.

That is a very good point, MFP sets me at 1,200 also but when I sync it with my body media band it normally adds between 500-800 extra calories. I eat between 1350-1550 kcals on weekdays, and have one day off a week
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options

A safe deficit is not under your BMR. You need to be over your BMR and under your TDEE. MFP does math, you make the decision on what is safe. MFP won't go below 1200 no matter what you ask of it so don't assume that number is correct.
    Definitely need to be over your BMR. How much do you have to lose? Generally the less you have to lose, the closer to your TDEE you will need to eat.
  • mscote12
    mscote12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have a good amount I'd like to lose....
    So basically anywhere in between my BMR & TDEE would be ideal...1400-1500...and then on days I workout, a little more than that...
    I hate trial and error lol

Thanks for all the input:happy:
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    The trial and error is a ***** until you figure out your TDEE. Then it gets a lot less stressful, because You KNOW without a doubt how many calories will allow you to lose, maintain or gain.
  • mscote12
    mscote12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    So I just did some research...and got a whole new set of #'s

The "Road Map" post directions in MFP message boards...got me a BMR of 2287 and a TDEE of 2280
    Another post within MFP message boards with a whole set of mathematical equations...multiplying this by this and that...got me a BMR of 1656 and a TDEE of 2277

So the TDEE of both of these calculations are close enough...which I know if I eat that much a day, I will maintain, if I go OVER this # I will eventually gain weight...and if I stick to eating BELOW my TDEE, I will see weight loss...as long as I do NOT go below my BMR which is still questionable but I think it is safe to assume it is NOT 1200...lol...so I guess it is time to UP my calories....here comes the trial & error part...

I think I am slowly catching on to this whole thing.....I hope lol :tongue: