Crockpot paranoia?

christinekry
christinekry Posts: 86 Member
I put my dinner in the crockpot on high, at noon. I get home from work at 5. It's 2pm and I'm having anxiety that the crockpot is going to malfunction and burn down my house (and kill my beloved dog, none the less). I always leave it going during the day on low (sometimes over night), but NEVER on high. Someone please tell me that the crockpot is not going to burn down the house.

Replies

• iamkarent
    iamkarent Posts: 145 Member
    Can't say I have ever heard of it in the nightly news....should be fine if it isn't ancient..
  • ShellyakaLady
    ShellyakaLady Posts: 75 Member
    I don't believe your crockpot is going to burn down your house but you should always cook your food on low, especially when being out all day. I cook my food w/in my crockpot on high overnight many times and nothing has went wrong... But next time cook your meals on low - then you won't be worrying like you are right now... Pray and ask God to protect your house and dog from any fires breaking out - and trust me he will.
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    When we were growing up, my mom always put hers on high on our way out the door to various sport activities so dinner would be ready when we got home in a few hours. Their house is still standing. I have done it and then gone out shopping for an hour or two (Truth be told though I called my mom first because I was nervous. That's how I know hers was set to high) :smile:
  • christinekry
    christinekry Posts: 86 Member
    Thanks. I usually set it to low before work, but forgot today. Had to throw something together for dinner, while on my lunch hour. I was considering asking work to leave early because I was so paranoid. I'm glad to hear other people do it too.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    They are designed to be left on all day without burning down your house. If you run out of liquid they might burn your food and make some smoke, but even then they have a cover. I suppose to be extra safe just don't set it near or below anything flamable. I almost burned down my office one time because the toaster was under a shelf of paper goods.
  • Rlopez913
    Rlopez913 Posts: 19 Member
    I always have put mine on high when I leave at 8:30 am for work. I get home around 2:30 pm. Never had any problems.
  • I have the same worries. Even when I put mine on low I worry. I leave for work around 7am and dont get home till about 6pm. But my boyfriend is usually home by 3 or 4 pm. They are ok on low for that time right?
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    I never use my crockpot because of exactly this worry. It's not logical, it's just me.
  • I cooked with one all of the time when I was a new bride. I knew I couldn't ruin a meal if I added meat and Lipton onion soup and vegetables. If there was a possibility of bruning down a house they would not be selling them. I have one that was an automated cycle so it adjusts itself. By the way I have left things in the slow cooker for 10 to 12 hours never has left me down. I have also cooked things over night. Trust me I would never use an appliance if there was a possibility of a house fire if I left home. Don't worry you will be safe. I am the ype of person who will cook a turkey in the oven and be gone most of the day.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    The Crockpot I use is from the early 70s. Works every time with no problems. I use it quite a bit too, so you've little to worry about as long as the cord is in good shape. The elements are completely contained so if they burn out, you just wind up with a cold Crockput.

As a precaution, mine always sets on my stovetop with a shallow baking sheet under it in case it boils over or similar.

JM
  • only thing that never turned out for me is the slow cooker cake I think I added double oil phone rang when I was mxing it. Good luck. You are safe.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    I just started using the crockpot more -and I have some concern, I did have a crockpot fire once from my own carelessness of turning on the wrong stovetop element under it. I was lucky and use an extinguisher to get at out just as the fire truck arrived.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/567183 ---- put in on a safe surface - but read this whole link
    Copied from the Sonoita-Elgin Fire Department News :

"Fire Safety Tip: Can you even imagine how many causes of fire there are? Many we know and many we don’t. We recently had a structure fire started by a crock pot. Check yours out! Set it on your counter and turn it on HIGH for about ½ hour. BE CAREFUL and watch it to make sure everything is OK. Now turn it OFF. Feel your counter. Is it VERY hot? You bet it is! If the counter is hot, find another non-flammable place to put the crock pot (like on a tile or pizza stone). Or safer yet, don’t leave the crock pot unattended."
    National Fire Protection Association -
    http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/MbrSecurePDF/cookingfull.pdf

Slow cooking. Slow cooking was not identified in the CPSC range study and represents
    a small share of the estimated home fires involving all types of portable cooking or
    warming equipment. Heat levels are typically low enough that other provisions for
    safety, including close attendance, are not necessary. If the cookware is placed where an
    unlikely minor overflow will not contact other combustibles, there will be added safety.
    If a crock pot or similar device is used, any ignition of food will also be contained,
    provided nothing has interfered with the equipment itself.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Its possible it will burn down your house and your dog will die from smoke inhalation

But unlikely
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    I have used crock pots for years, the only problem I had once with leaving it on high too long was dried out chicken meat.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Your crockpot will not burn down your house. :smile:
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    I think it's a better idea to leave it on low, but more because of a risk that your food will be burnt or stick to the bottom of the crockpot.

If the anxiety is really getting to you, perhaps you could pop home to turn it down, or have a neighbor (if you have one with a key) check it. I don't really think there would be a problem, but I have my own anxiety issues, and I know how once an idea like that gets into your head it can stress you out worrying about it.
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Hi there,

High typically is meant to use for a quick 2-4 hour cook time. And low if it is a slow braise for about 6-8 hours. as long as you arre within those timeframes you should be ok.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    I left mine on high today, too! Lol I always have that fear. I have a dog and a cat, so I get more worried about them being trapped in a fire than my house burning down!! Lol I always worry that the outlet will misfunction and shut my crockpot off then my food will go bad and I'll have to throw it out... haha. It will be fine! I use my crockpot ALL the time. I love it!
  • Nah, you're fine. I've done that many times. The worst thing that's ever happened was all the liquid evaporated and my food got dry and gross, but I don't think you are in danger of your house burning down. Lol. Your story reminds me of the time I left for work and thought I forgot to turn my curling iron off. I drove all the way home to check on it, only to realize I had, in fact, turned it off.
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    I would be skiddish with an older crockpot but I have a stainless steel 6 qt and if I am gone all day I only put it on low so my food wont burn if I run a little late getting home. Mine has where after 6 or 8 hours (whatever I put it on) it will switch to warm. Remember crockpots are made to turn on and leave. Just make sure your outlets are not overloaded and nothing is touching the crockpot. I am dangerous turning the broiler on in my oven....my casserole caught on fire once when I went to answer the phone. My husband said to never turn it back to broil and use the crockpot more often! :)