Calling Zumba calorie counters..

Options
I just got my polar FT7 and was able to track my calories.. I have the Zumba DVDs, Zumba wii and go to classes.. since it was my first day.. I tried it on the Wii and monitor said I did 559 calories for 63 minutes.. The Wii said I did 595 which was pretty close.. the Zumba Calorie site on Moderate intensity ( I do jump around) said i burned 803 calories... Even low intensity said over 600 calories.

Tomorrow I am going to use it on one of the DVDs and compare it to the website...then on a live class.. should be interesting..

For those who monitor your own calories..what is the most you burned with your monitor??

Replies

• tetracat
    tetracat Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just used my new HRM last night. I had a burn of 801 for 1 hour:) I just checked the zumba calorie burned site and for High intensity it said 547. I did have class with a Zumba Jammer so that might have had something to do with it!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I just used my new HRM last night. I had a burn of 801 for 1 hour:) I just checked the zumba calorie burned site and for High intensity it said 547. I did have class with a Zumba Jammer so that might have had something to do with it!

Wow.. I would love to burn that much but I am still building my stamina..
  • Divamc
    Divamc Posts: 21
    Options
    I did a class last night. I was a moderate intensity and I modified some of the moves. The total hour (that included 5 minute stretch) clocked in at 617 burned.
  • tetracat
    tetracat Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Here's my most recent burn for an hour Zumba class. Been doing Zumba for a little over a year now.

CALORIE.jpg
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Wow now I'm thinking I really need an HRM - I've been assuming my hour-long Zumba burns were all under 400 cals.
  • heidimaggott78
    Options
    The most I burned was around 550 cals
  • ddipert
    ddipert Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I just got Zumba for my wii. I'm looking forward to see what others are burning.
  • Liadora11
    Options
    Just got home from a Zumba session and I burned 602 in an hour (tracked on a watch like the poster above me).
  • Alford96
    Options
    I totally need a HRM. I must be under estimating my cals burned big time!!
  • DocMarr
    DocMarr Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I measure my zumba sessions with a HRM - depends on how much effort I put into it what I burn. Low intensity burns about 450, high intensity about 600 in an hour. However, a year ago my burns were much higher. As I have lost weight and my cardiovascular capability has developed, I now have to push myself harder and harder to get the same burn. Some tracks I used to get my heart rate up to 181, now doing the same routine I'll maybe peak at 170 because my body has gotten more effiicent at it.

So remember that what you burn has to do with how much weight you are still carrying (your body has to work harder when it's carrying extra weight) and how fit you are (the less fit you are, the harder your heart has to work). As you get fitter and lighter, your burn will come down. The good news though is that you are slimmer and fitter! :)
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    To original poster, could you share your height and weight please? I don't have a HRM, I just use the aerobics general option from MFP and the mild stretching option for warm up and cool down. It says that I burned 427 cals for a 60 minute zumba class last night. I am 5'7" and 158 pounds. Someone heavier would burn more. So if you are my size, it will tell me that MFP's cals burned are too low (I do medium-high intensity and keep my heart rate up). But if you are larger than me then it makes sense that your cals burned are higher. Thanks!
  • Valarie73
    Valarie73 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My all-time high burn from an hour of Zumba class was 738 calories. My average is more like 560-650, depending on how much I am able to put into class that night. On the Wii - for the "full" program I usually burn between 300-400, again, depending on which "class" I choose, and how much I put into it. I love my HRM, I have found it to really help me get accurate reports on what I'm burning. The Wii is often off by more than 100, so it's nice to be able to trust that I am getting the right numbers now.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    460 for a 50 minute class at high intensity
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I usually burn between 400 and 500 calories for a 50 minute class depending on the teacher. I've gone over 500 before, but have never broken 600. I go full out too when I dance, especially if I know the moves. Height and weight have a lot to do with how much you burn.
  • tlspratley
    tlspratley Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I also have a Polar FT7. This morning, I burned 583 calories for a 60 minute class. I don't believe that I've logged over 620 calories. But, as my energy increases, I am trying my best to go full force.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    ZumbaCalories.com WAY overestimates Zumba calories burned. I'm not sure why. I was looking forward to a big burn because one of my friends consistently burns over 800 during an hour class, so I was bummed to see I only burned like 593 during the hour (I weigh 247). But I saw she was using that site and now I know why. If you do use that site, be careful about eating your calories back!!!!!
  • befitbre
    befitbre Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I logged 442 on my garmin 410 at a live class last night. I feel like it would be more on a regular night, seeing as the teacher did a lot of old stuff that no one knew or could remember, so it was difficult to get into a groove.
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6", 134 lbs and 28% BF. I use Polar FT7.

I consistently burn 580-680 per hour-long class when I put in 100% effort.
  • ghimm
    ghimm Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My Polar HRM tells me I usually burn between 650 and 770 in an hour and I'm working hard... 600 if the instructor is terrible.
  • squashyhelen
    squashyhelen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Anyone with a HRM that is around 125ish pounds and closer to 5'3? I killed myself in zumba today and logging 50 mins for "Aerobics, general" only got me a measly 300. Really hoping it was more!