I need some help

shamm08
shamm08 Posts: 109
edited September 20 in Recipes
I need some yummy healthy recipes that I can get my kids to eat, I usually make two meals, one for me and one for them. I'm really getting tired of this and I really want my family to eat healthier too. I know my weight problems started when I was little and I don't want my kids to have the same problem they're still young so I feel that I still have time to reverse all the bad habits they have. Any idea?

Replies

• smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    lots of low fat cookbooks(especially vegetarian ones) have recipes labeled "kid pleasers". You can also prepare old favorites such as chicken fingers (home made not frozen packaged) in a more healthy way by baking instead of frying. Use lowfat milk and cheese to make mac and cheese. I have a three year old and when I'm in doubt, I serve fruit or tossed salad as a side dish and as she's been eating these her whole life, I get no complaints. Try serving new things in fun ways for the kids, make faces with cut up veggies or maybe just let them be in on meal preparations. It's not always easy and I've had nights with 2 different dinners, one for myself and her dad and one for my daughter as well, but I always try to incorporate healthy things she will like to avoid that when possible. Good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Low fat macaroni and cheese. Use Wholewheat pasta and only half the cheese and butter of kraft dinner. To make it creamy and seem full of sauce take a small butternut squash cut it in half and roast it. Once finished roasting scoop out the insides and mix in the the macaroni and cheese then bake for 20 min, stir again and serve.
    The kids wont even know there are vegetables in this dish, delicious, healthy, and full of fibre.
  • majaa
    majaa Posts: 2
    Oatmeal pancakes are delicious! I make it for my 13 year old sister and she loves them as well. For myself I take a half cup of oatmeal, sometimes I switch it up and use All Bran Buds (1/2 cup), 2 egg whites, a little of Splenda, cinnamon, and vanilla extract, I add in whatever fruit I have at home, mix it all together and fry it, of course non-stick spray. If it is not sweet enough for the young ones, add a little maple syrup or honey on top!
This discussion has been closed.