The Split

Options
ok so what is the deal with splits? Are people just born like a "splitter" a "non-splitter" or is it something you can work towards? I have never been able to do a split and im jsut wondering, can i "train" myself to do one, or is it one of those either u can or u cant things? can overweight people do splits? or is a flexibility thing? and what happens if i am not prepared to do a split but i do it anyway? will i break my crotch?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    It has to do more with muscle contraction. Your muscles won't let you use them in their full extension length. They contract and prevent the movement. The trick is to training them.

Still, for what purpose? It's not neccisarily a good thing, unless you need to do them for some reason.

There's nothing to break in your groin. Your legs aren't attached that way.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Some people are more limber due to double jointed characteristics... however, the splits are something that must be developed slowly on a several time per week basis over months to achieve the flexibility necessary. Foot forward or sideways each require a great deal of time and effort. Dancers usually seek to do foot forward splits martial artists are usually after sideways splits and each requires flexibility in different sets of muscles... Top dancers and martial artists can go from foot forward to sideways to the other foot forward in a seamless roll.. Whatever your goal is take it slow and preferably with a trainer... You don not want to pull a groin muscle, hamstring or quad in the process or worse yet tear it... Recovery times are too long and the pain can be excruciating.