for Anyone with an elliptical machine...

Options
What brand do you have? Do you like/recommend it? What is the price range for it? I'm going to try to find one for my home and have no idea what to look for.

Thanks!:glasses:

Replies

• kdm9295
    kdm9295 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I bought a cheap one from Walmart, and would only recommend it if you plan to use it every once in a while. I would spend a little more money if you plan to use it daily. Mine sounds awful, is not really sturdy. It works for me, but I only use it about 1 a week. It's definitely a good workout.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I just bought one yesterday from Sears and i love it... I used it last night and going to use in a few hours. It has a built in ipod holder and ifit which is work out chips designed by Jillians michaels and it has 3 levels and with in 8 weeks you burn over 7,000 calories and drop 2 pant sizes.. I haven't done the chips yet but will start in a few months. With a three year warranty we paid about 700 for it.. It's the NordicTrack E5 vi I tested out about 8 machines and this was so smooth i have bad knee's so i need one that wasn't going to be hard on them
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I got mine at wal mart on clearance for $200. It's a momentum. That said you get what you pay for. I'm not disappointed with my machine because I know if you want a gym quality machine you're paying abou $1500-$2000. It moves around a little and you have to check the weight limit on each machine to make sure it's safe for your weight. It serves my purposes, but you can definetly get a better machine for a little more money. Also you can go online to the stores website and check the consumer reviews, they tend to be very specific and helpful.
  • ericaquin
    ericaquin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    In college I had a cheap one that I paid about $150-$200 for and it was a piece of crap. Unfortunately when it comes to ellipticals you do have to pay for quality. As a "congratulation for carrying out son for 9 months and giving birth to him" I requested my husband get me a good elliptical. He got me a Nortictrack Audiostrider800. At the time it was the second best elliptical they carried and it was $800 with free shipping. It is three years old and is used twice a day 7-6 times a week and we love it. However, I am jonsing for that new tred climber by bowflex. I would recommend you check your local craigs list first before buying direct to save on money.
  • cwainwright78
    cwainwright78 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a Precor which is a gym quality grade but the price reflected it (I think it was about 2300.00). I paid a lot because I knew I was going to use it a lot. I have really bad knees so I did some research on which one was best for your stance and the Precor (according to the salesman- who did have different brands, and according to some websites) has a patent on where the plates are for your feet so that it is set at the correct gate (foot width distance apart) for anyone. I have had it 6 years and have only needed it serviced once and that's because we moved and we set up the computer board to it wrong, and it was not an expensive house call. If you're looking for a really good gym quality one but don't want to spend the money often times gyms that are getting new equipment will sell their old ones pretty cheap so you should google it or look around. I know my gym just did a huge turnover and they were selling older but great condition/quality machines at a very reasonable price.
  • Jerzeebabie04
    Options
    I recently bought the Proform Space Saver with Jillian Michaels iFit card. I don't really recommend it because it's not very sturdy, it definitely wobbles a lot. It says the weight capacity is 275 lbs but I think anyone over 150 would make it wobble. Other than that it's not too bad, but I wish I had bought a Nordic Track or spent the extra cash to get a more sturdy gym quality machine. It was about $450 with free shipping.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Jerzeebabie04

Have you done any of the IFit cards??? My Elliptical takes those and was wondering how well they work???
  • cvtga
    cvtga Posts: 118
    Options
    We also have a Norditrack E5vi. I bought it in the beginning of Jan. I love it. The pre-programed workouts are great. I use it about 5 times per week. I haven't thought about using Jillians workout cards, perhaps when my weight loss starts to slow down or plateau. I would definitely recommend this machine.