When you say you lift weights, do you mean...??

2»

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    I *just* started lifting so I'm weak like a kitten. Therefore I use dumbbells because for me, a 25lb dumbbell in each hand is easier than trying to muscle my way into where the bars are...Sometimes I use a machine because I'm not graceful and with things like shoulder press I'm going to drop something on my head. At some point I will progress to wear dumbbells are too unweildy an dI will switch to bars/plates/machines but for now this is where I am. It's much easier to do a squat holding 25lb dumbbells then to find the squat rack and figure out if I can go low enough with it.

25# ain't weak, girl! That's awesome and more than I can do.

I moved up to an 8# dumbbell and am waiting to get a second because I feel super weird doing one arm at a time. I also use resistance bands and my own body weight.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    I *just* started lifting so I'm weak like a kitten. Therefore I use dumbbells because for me, a 25lb dumbbell in each hand is easier than trying to muscle my way into where the bars are...Sometimes I use a machine because I'm not graceful and with things like shoulder press I'm going to drop something on my head. At some point I will progress to wear dumbbells are too unweildy an dI will switch to bars/plates/machines but for now this is where I am. It's much easier to do a squat holding 25lb dumbbells then to find the squat rack and figure out if I can go low enough with it.

25# ain't weak, girl! That's awesome and more than I can do.

I moved up to an 8# dumbbell and am waiting to get a second because I feel super weird doing one arm at a time. I also use resistance bands and my own body weight.

haha thanks! I guess I'm just comparing myself to people I see lift beast mode levels of weight and I'm jealous. When I was in high school and a martial artist I was MUCH stronger. I want to be strong and have muscle definition. It's not as difficult for me because my genetics are good I've just never trained before. I love it.

Moving up to the 8lbs is good. Improvement is good no matter what it is and body weight can be extremely effective because think about it...how much do you weigh and you're throwing that around? It's hard work sometimes!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    When you say you lift weights, do you mean you use a barbell, bench and weights? Or do some people lift weights by using arm weights, kettleballs, ect.

How do YOU lift?

All of the above...and sometimes just my own body weight!
  • Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    I've got limited space, so I don't have a bench or barbells. I use hand weights up to 25 pounds and body weight. I also have a pull up bar that fits in my doorway.

your reps like? Or excerice as far as weight lifting, look like? I am wondering because I have 15-25lb hand weights and would like to start.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Barbells for the 5 main lifts, dumbells if I'm doing step-ups, machine for assisted pull-ups/chinups and calf raises and body weight for planks and plank twists.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    I pick things up, and I put things down.

Me too!

Usually with barbell, dumbbells (5-50 lb. so far, depending on the lift), body weight, plus a few cable machine lifts.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Started StrongLifts 5X5 a couple weeks ago. Doing Olympic bars at the power racks. No machines anymore!
  • Lifting weights to me is anything that isn't strictly a body resistance work out.

I use a lot of free weights so that stabilizing muscles get engages, and use them with bench, and on work out ball.

I have some kettle bells also, but am limited in my exercises with them as I only have one set of 10 lbs.

At karate classes I use a medicine ball for different types of exercises but that is about the only weight I can get the others to use their besides body weight work.

Always up for new work out ideas
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    I've got limited space, so I don't have a bench or barbells. I use hand weights up to 25 pounds and body weight. I also have a pull up bar that fits in my doorway.

your reps like? Or excerice as far as weight lifting, look like? I am wondering because I have 15-25lb hand weights and would like to start.

I'm currently doing P90X. I choose a weight I can lift 8-10 times to failure. That ranges from 8-25 pounds depending on the movement.