How can opinion vary so wildly about what is healthy?

Options
2»

Replies

• maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My question is why don't we know for 100% at this stage? SURELY there is a right answer? There must just be some basic science behind this?

There is science and then there is "science reporting". Unfortunately, they are two very different things. There are some good science reporters out there, but most of the reporting on science is terrible. For example, a scientist will show that a certain chemical that happens to be found in eggs had a very specific effect on the brains of mice. The paper will report this as "Eggs make you smarter!" Then another scientist will show that some other chemical in eggs raised the cholesterol level of mice and a reporter will write "Eggs are killing you!" It's terrible in that it leads to people having no idea what is and isn't good for them and leads them to distrust science in general and gives them a terrible idea of how science is done.

Anyway, I have lost plenty of weight without cutting out any foods or food groups. I was joking the other day that I should write a diet book, but, since my actual advice would fit on an index card, I'd have to come up with a gimmick: "the all pizza diet", "the no protein diet", "the astrology diet", because that is what sells.

As for who to believe, Michael Pollan and Marion Nestle are good writers on this topic. Nestle has a book called "What to Eat", which I read part of a while back. And Pollan has a short one called "Food Rules". I sometimes say I am on the "Pollan Diet", because I try to follow his advice of "Eat Food, Not Too Much, Mostly Plants". I've been slacking off on the plants lately though. Winter just seems like the wrong time to eat spinach!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Because "healthy" is so incredibly subjective...and the consequences of diet/exercise can take years...decades to manifest.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Because there is no "one size fits all".
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I get so confused by just how drastically different people's opinions are on what will help you lose weight.

I've been reading about the Keto diet where they encourage full-fat everything, lots of cheese, cooking with bacon fat etc

As opposed to other diets that suggest keeping fats down to a minimum and keeping protein as the most important food group.

My question is why don't we know for 100% at this stage? SURELY there is a right answer? There must just be some basic science behind this?

Your example of Keto diet isn't wrong, but you're right it is different than counting calories. If you want to know what all this means you'll have to do some research. Just because methods are different doesn't mean one of them is necessarally wrong.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    "Healthy" means one thing to the FDA and they spread that to the general public, but it doesn't actually mean it is really healthy and that you should eat it. Do research. The healthiest foods on the earth are the most natural: fruits, veggies, nuts, etc in their organic raw form. No diet will argue with you there. Those foods are the basis of health.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Because Ketosis is one means to the end, and being in a calorie deficit, eating a balanced diet of carbs, fat and protein is another.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    the human body is far to complex to know all the answers. you just do the best you can
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Because there are so many variables that go into the metabolic process that includes lifestyle, activity level, hormone levels, muscle mass, fat mass, psychological issues and any number of things. Many of the advances made in the medical world have really only come about in the last 100 years. We're still very much in our infancy when it comes to the understanding of the human body when compared to how long humans have been in existence.

There are those that would have a very hard time or even die of they consume gluten or dairy; others don't have this problem. Obviously what is healthy for me is not healthy for them.

But I do think that when you boil it down, and it's been pointed out already....the best idea when it comes to food is to revert back to consuming your food in as raw a form as possible. That doesn't mean that you can't cook it, but that you chose foods that haven't been processed to the point that the ingredient list has become unpronounceable to anybody without a degree in chemistry.
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I'm really not looking at doing any kind of gimmicky diet, and just trying to change my lifestyle a bit. I feel like that is the right move.

I'm just confused as to how people can sell directly contradicting methods and not have someone stand up and be like 'you're an idiot'. I don't know who to trust!

For the most part, all these seemingly contradicting methods lead to fewer calories in v. calories out. By restricting/limiting diets in different ways, the end result comes out to that. And guess what, you lose weight. Now, with certain food intolerances and sensitivities, some methods are better for some, than others. And different methods are easier/tolerable for some as well. There's personal preference involved, and some of the science is hard to pin down because it's very difficult to do controlled studies with people because there are many variables involved. Now that's in regards to losing weight. As for health, you get enough protein, fats, and nutrients in your diet, you should be ok (while watching out for intolerances). Problem there, is not complete agreement as to what those sufficient or optimal amounts are.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I'm just confused as to how people can sell directly contradicting methods and not have someone stand up and be like 'you're an idiot'. I don't know who to trust!
    Hmmm, you must be new to this whole chatting about dieting thing on the internet.

:laugh:
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    opinions are like a**holes.... everyone's is different, we all have one, and even if you don't personally notice it others may think it stinks

Love this answer!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I agree in some part with the person who said look at who's pushing the diet. I always laugh at the milk commercial saying to drink six glasses of milk a day. Or activita yogurt saying it will regulate you and all you need to do is eat four of their yogurts aday. By the way one works quite well for me. :tongue:

I have seen each diet work for different people 100% of the way. I watched a customer who came in the wings restaurant that I worked at lose almost 100 pounds eating 50 wings every Wednesday yes 50 F I FTY fried chicken wings every Wednesday. No French fries or Coca-Cola. He did have a salad with high-fat Cesar.dressing

He brought me a copy of his cholesterol results and they went down so much I was amazed. I was also concerned for him. The question still stands whether eating 50 chicken wings is a healthy lifestyle and sustainable.

I have many friends on here who lost over 100 lbs, and kept it off. The one thing I see with each is their level of moving, exercise, and desire to do more is what they have in common. Most started running, one does CF, another is a boot camp junkie. A few sign up for all the mud runs. My friend Tami, who lost 123 lbs and has kept it off for 3 yrs does her elliptical 3x a week..... Like a religion.

ALL of them eat a balanced diet and FUeL their bodies.

Good luck to you!
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Everyone's BODY is different. No 2 are the same, which means that what might work for me, might not work for you. Why is it that some people can eat whatever they want and not gain a pound? Why is it that some people can lose focus and gain 10 lbs? I think you should try a few and see what works for YOU. As for me, I'm eating 1210 calories a day and I'm working out anywhere from 3 to 5 days a week and I'm only doing cardio right now, no weights. And for ME it's working :)

Good luck to you on your journey. It's a tough road, but so worth it :)
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Broscience is a bandwagon that is overloaded.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options
    It's the definition that has people confused. On any given day it could be that cheeseburger that delivers the right total amount of nutrients that your body deems sufficient. An active lifestyle trumps opinions on what foods are considered healthy imo.