Diet Soda and a Bad Weekend

pressica
pressica Posts: 361
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I had a weekend full of homework, tests, and research papers. I was working nearly around the clock and decided I needed to stay awake with some caffeinated soda. I haven't really been drinking soda at all. I noticed how hungry diet soda makes me. I was literally insatiable. Nearly an hour after eating something that is normally filling, I would feel completely starved again.

To be honest, I never noticed this side effect of soda before now. I guess that when you normally eat a lot it doesn't affect you the same way.

Needless to say, I totally fell off the band wagon, and it's time to wipe the mud off my butt and get back on track. I am never drinking diet soda again. Bleh!!

Replies

• Alright, cut yourself some slack! Rough weekend. Hydrate and eat a good meal today. :tongue:
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    The 5-hour energy shots work as advertised...at least for me. Plus they help me NOT to feel hungry...:)
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Good Luck!
  • pressica
    The 5-hour energy shots work as advertised...at least for me. Plus they help me NOT to feel hungry...:)

I actually used those shots too. I was desperate. Unfortunately, I felt the exact same way...if not a bit worse since there is so much more caffeine in those shots. Maybe I just don't do well with caffeine.
  • i remember seeing a study once, and i cannot quote it accurately, but it was something about diet soda and weight loss. basically it stated that when you consume diet soda, it sends an incorrect message to your brain and actually triggers a brain response telling your body to look for something more filling because your body can't process the chemicals in diet soda. something like that anyway. but the end result of the study was the diet soda can actually make you fat because it triggers you to eat more. looks like you're very in tune with your body to be aware of that reaction, so that's good. they said if you crave soda, have a real one because then you won't be searching for something else once you've finished it!
  • p.s. - if you don't react well to caffeine and are looking for a little extra energy, emergen-c might work well for you...full of b vitamins, a little fizz, no caffeine, and it doesn't taste bad!
  • pressica
    p.s. - if you don't react well to caffeine and are looking for a little extra energy, emergen-c might work well for you...full of b vitamins, a little fizz, no caffeine, and it doesn't taste bad!

That's a great suggestion. I have tons of that at home. I don't know why I didn't think of those. Thanks.
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    I struggle with the evils of diet soda. I believe the chemicals in them can be very bad for your health. Better off to stick to something natural. I also reaad the study about diet sugar confusing your body and making you even hungrier. Good luck!
  • Mommy08
    Mommy08 Posts: 73 Member
    The reason you are feeling hungry from that and other drinks/foods like that is because of the levels of aspartame in them. That is an artificial sweetener that has been clinically proven to make you feel hungry!!! It's horrible! And it acts pretty much worse in your system than regular sugar. Aspartame had to try like 13 times to get approved by the FDA for use and that was back in teh 1970's when regulations weren't even as strict as they are now . . .I used to LOVE diet coke . . . but now I consider it pretty much poison and won't touch the stuff only once in a GREAT while! Good luck to you :)
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    When I was in college, I used to have Starbucks double espresso canned drinks (they're small cans, like 5-6 oz). They had 5 calories and worked like a charm! I also had black coffee or tea with a packet of sugar and a splash of skim milk. It worked wonders keeping me up when I had papers and tests to study for.

Sometimes I'd have Tab, but I think Tab has aspertame in it.

Oh yeah...one thing I wish someone would have told me while I was in college- take a daily vitamin!!! I know I didn't get enough vitamins in college, and now that I'm pregnant and on pre-natals, I can totally see the difference in my energy levels and my hair and nails.

Don't beat yourself up over a weekend of bad eating. It's easy to just give up totally once something like that happens, but the important thing is to "forget" about the weekend, and continue with your healthy eating habits.
This discussion has been closed.