Living In a Truck

Options
2»

Replies

• mhaight85
    Options
    I feel for you, I don't work out of a truck but I do work 11hr shifts with no microwave or refrigerator. I pack a lunch bag with ice pack, I'm big on salads with protein (hard boiled egg, meat) to help make them more filling. Sandwiches are a great option though, with whole wheat bread and no mayo. There are lots of options with sandwiches! Sometimes I make a quesadilla in the frying pan with whole wheat tortilla, black beans and/or chicken, salsa & shredded cheese.... they are better warm but not bad cold.

My husband thinks meal replacements bars/shakes are kind of a joke because they don't keep him full but if you had a sandwich or salad or something and washed it down with a meal replacement shake that might work.

Apples and bananas are great, and pretty low maintenance to eat. I second the vote on hard boiled eggs, if you peel it at home and toss it in a bag it's easier to eat at work. Best wishes to you!
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    beef stick
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Trail mix, peanut butter and apples, bananas, canned veggies, oatmeal, tomatoes, whole wheat crackers make good snacks. You can get a converter that plugs into your cigarette lighter that you can plug any two or three pronged plug into. You could invest in a crock-pot. That would fit easily in your car. Not sure how much power that would drain though.

Although it's not recommended by food safety agencies, I've heard that eggs can last a whole week at room temperature. And I've heard cheese can last for a good 24 hours outside the fridge, especially hard cheeses like parmesan
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Hands? use baby wipes....the cheap generic ones...no soap? use sanitizer gels....hot food..think survival gear, camping gear, sterno flames for outside the truck. I was homeless for a while and used the kind of cans that have the lids like the tops of paint cans and put my food inside it sealed it up tight and stuck it on top of the car engine, closed the hood and whala..oven. Ways to keep things cold? Again, think of survival gear, hiking gear, hunting gear, camping gear. Go to the 7-11 and see if the guy will let you use the microwave.

http://www.survivalcampingstore.com/Stoves-Outdoors-Emergency-Camping

http://www.rei.com/search?query=cooking

But hey, what do I know I am just a clown.:laugh:

Oh wait, did you just mean living out your truck as an expression for spending all your time in your truck..if so, make a nice warm meal, put it in a glass cassarole dish with a lid and tie it closed, put a wet towel in the microwave heat it up hot, mean while wrap the dish in tin foil, (use gloves or hot pad to take out the hot towel) wrap the moist hot towel around the glass container then wrap a dry towel around that and finally a child size throw blanket. Put it in your truck. It will stay warm till lunch time. This is an old Russian trick.