What Can I Drkink Other Than Water

betterhealth2010
betterhealth2010 Posts: 53
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been told it is a good idea to eliminate soda, koolaid and similar drinks from my diet to lose weight. These contain simple sugars that may be stored as fat. I have heard the same regarding sport drinks. What else is there to drink? I like V8 splash and was surprised to see how much sugar is in that. I also have really bad heartburn so drinks like tea or water with lemon upset my stomach. What are you all drinking other than water?

Replies

• lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    You can drink other things, but water is by far the best thing for you.

If you think you need something sweet, try an all natural juice. Just be aware that serving of juice packs alot of calories (you'll notice there is a lot of "sugars" in fruit juice...not a huge worry as it's not refined sugar and doesn't have as large an impact on your blood sugar).

**Try to avoid any drink or food for that matter that contains High Fructose Corn Syrup. It will make you feel hungry even when you aren't!**

Diet soda is terrible for you too, so don't go there.

Drinks with "sugar" as an ingerdient aren't good, since that's refined sugar.

Water, juice, & milk (if you can buy raw milk try it....amazing flavor and much better for you) but try to get the hormone/antibiotic free kind and avoid ultra pasturized.

Everything you put in has an effect, so putting in the most natural things is best. Good Luck!
  • jana1124
    jana1124 Posts: 39 Member
    Crystal light has these FIT packets for your water.. they're good..

I drink sugar free koolaid but I dilute it down quite a bit.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    This post is from Gennyvieve from another thread and I thought it might be something for you to consider:
    ....... Also, i'm totally pimping out the Sassy Water from the flat-belly diet book, i lost 4 pounds last week and all my measurements were smaller and i think it's from the sassy water---i totally feel less puffy! ......

The Sassy Water Recipe

2 liters water (about 8 ½ cups--I use my koolaid pitcher)
    1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
    1 medium cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
    1 medium lemon, thinly sliced
    12 small spearmint leaves.

Combine all ingredients in a large pitcher and let flavors blend overnight.

Drink the entire pitcher by the end of each day.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    tea. Fresh brewed regular or herbal. Some herbal teas make great iced tea w/out adding sugar or you can add sweetener instead. Celestial seasoning red zinger is my favorite tea to ice in the summer!
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    bump
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Try adding a little fruit juice to your water (like a few tablespoons). I drink a lot of water with mint in it. I do the occasional crystal light thing - but I really water it down because I don't like to consume a lot of artificial sweeteners. I like green tea on ice. Once you get used to drinking water though - you'll crave it.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Lemon in water is really good!

If I really don't want water I'll drink the SoBe 0 calorie drinks (yummy) or iced tea (sweetened with a tad of Splenda).
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    sugar free squash is something you could try.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Water is always best. i've just gotten used to drinking water all the time and now i don't crave anything else really. however, i drink plain herbal tea when i'm cold and need to drink something to warm me up.

-Propel sells individual flavor packets that claim to contain 'vitamins'. about 20 calories each. they aren't too bad.
    -i've heard adding cumcumber to water adds surprisingly good flavor.
    -organic fat free milk has lots of vitamins that are good for you.
    -if you have a juicer, you can turn many combinations of fruits and veggies into juice.
    -tea is has a 0 for all its nutrition facts. some people claim they don't like tea, however there are TONS of different kinds of teas with a wide array of tastes and flavors. i believe there is a tea out there for everyone.
  • rw4004
    rw4004 Posts: 157
    Soymilk-chocolate/or vanilla/or plain/or coffee flavor,fruit smoothies,tea,v8 splash is yummy,carrot juice,green juice,protein shakes,there are lots of choices.What's helped me a lot is finding the things you crave the most and finding a healthier substitue-for chocolate I have my Clif cool mint chocolate bar,or chocolate soymilk.For the ice cream/starbucks cravings I make smoothies with soymilk,chai tea,ice,soy protein powder,and cinnamon(or the chocolate version).
    The best tip I can give is=snack!If you let yourself get to the starving point you will binge big time.I have yogurt or chocolate covered pretzels,popcorn,nuts,fruit,or fruit smoothies every two hours or so.Keep it in your pocket,or your purse!Drink lots of water.Good luck!Rose
  • eyemadreamer
    eyemadreamer Posts: 41 Member
    i drink vitarain water (kirkland signature)) there are 4 flavors and there are all 0 calories.

also i buy diet green tea.. i dont have more than 1 a day usually though. also 0 calories.

and then there's just plain water. for me, plain water is boring... i have never really enjoyed it... so i like to add flavor to it such as lemon, cucumber or so.
  • eyemadreamer
    eyemadreamer Posts: 41 Member
    i should also add that if you are going to drink fruit juice.. its better to eat the fruit itself cause its more filling and will curb your hunger and also less sugar/fatty.
  • StaceG1986
    StaceG1986 Posts: 350
    I add different flavours of sugar free squash to my water, makes it easier and more interesting to drink!!
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    sugar free squash is something you could try.
    what is this? Never heard of it
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825

Why is it so bad??? I love diet sierra mist... I have it as a treat every now and then but why do you say it is so bad? I get the artificial sweetener thing but what else?
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Squash? umm I don't know how to explain it if you don't know? It is very similar to cordial, a concentrate that you dilute with water. It comes is all manner of flavours, from orange to barley water, to lemon and mango and apple and blackcurrant. It's just about all my kids had growing up other than plain water as I didn't let them have any fizzy etc.

I assume that it is not something you have in the States? only EVERYONE in the UK would know what it was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squash_(drink)

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/19/messages/1067.html
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    I love soy milk, almond milk, rice milk, etc. just be careful because a lot of them have TONS of added sugar to make them taste good. My favorite is the Soy Slender brand cappucino flavor. No added sugar, but there is artificial sweetener, and it tastes yummy.

Edited: Apologies, the brand is West Soy and the product is called Soy Slender.
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257

I think this is a matter of personal opinion. :)
  • elysant
    elysant Posts: 139
    There are significant numbers of flavorings and such that you can add to water (crystal light, cucumbers, oranges, fresh mints, etc.). They change the flavor of the water without adding to the calories. I have also heard a lot of good things about adding the same things to sparkling water to get something similar to soda.

As for the heartburn, my husband had the same problem until I stopped buying soda. Since then he doesn't have heartburn anymore and his acid reflux is almost gone as well.

I also wanted to note that you do not have to squeeze the lemons/oranges/etc into the water. Just letting them sit in the water overnight will flavor the water.
  • I'd suggest crystal lite packets that you add to bottled water. I like those. If you really need a fruit juice or something like that look at where the sugar comes from. If its natural sugar thats alright but if it processed and/or refined stay away. Also limit of natural sugar in juices because it takes so much more fruit to make juice.
This discussion has been closed.