Tips for learning how to cook?

Options
mrsgigandet
mrsgigandet Posts: 53 Member
Hi guys :) I am 22 years old and I don't know how to cook! I'm looking to change that. I feel like it will be a huge part in eating and staying healthy, instead of having to rely on what mom makes for dinner or the snacky little things I throw together for my lunches. I want to learn how to REALLY cook!

I was wanting to take a cooking class, but there aren't any remotely close to me. Does anyone have any resources for beginners - recipes, books, YouTube channels, etc.? Any tips or suggestions would be really appreciated :) Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• PaprikaPrincess
    PaprikaPrincess Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I started to cook by finding a recipe I wanted to make and then asking my coworkers at the time a ton of questions on how to cook it. I am sure they thought I was an airhead but this before the internet. I moved on to Alton Brown recipes and then Cook's Country magazine. I love the website Simply Scratch and all of her recipes would be great for a beginner.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Try "allrecipes.com" You can input what you have in your cupboards and it will suggest recipes.

Really, the best thing to do is decide what kind of things you like, then find recipes for them online. Recipes tell you most of what you need to know to prepare a dish. Then maybe buy a basic cookbook (ask someone at the bookstore.) It will tell you average cooking times for meats, how to make sauces, and will give you all kinds of good info about measuring, what cuts of meat to use, etc. It's fun to just leaf through a few cookbooks and look for stuff to make. They are usually broken down into sections like Main Dishes, Side Dishes, Vegetables, Sauces, Meats, Soups and Stews, Bread and bakery items, Appetizers, Desserts.

You can do it! We all had to learn at some point, and it's a creative and exciting thing to do.
  • kbooth
    kbooth Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If you know anyone that likes to cook (friends, family, co-workers), they are a great resource and can give you helpful tips. It helps to invest in basic kitchen essentials such as a crockpot, decent pots and pans, measuring cups (I prefer the glass ones with the pour spouts), and some basic utensils like cooking spoons and spatulas (I also am a HUGE fan of a silicone spatula to help get everything out of the bowls and easy cleanup).

Then find some easy recipes (probably best to start with some that have minimal ingredients) and have at it. I've recently been trying new variations on things my family enjoys regularly like homemade potato chips or homemade hot chocolate. They are easy, use limited ingredients, fun for my kids to make with me, and have been HUGE hits with my family!

Think of some of your favorite foods and maybe start there. If you know what things are supposed to taste like, sometimes it will help you to know if you are on the right track. Once you get the hang of it, venture out to new things.

Most of all, just enjoy it. Cook when you can take your time and not feel pressured. I used to hate to cook and am mostly self-taught (with the help of my mom and aunt on standby...LOL). Now I'm getting creative and have been able to make it fun for the whole family. My husband never knows what to expect next....and he kind of likes it!

Good luck! Feel free to PM me if you would like any further help or tips. I would be happy to help! :)