Anybody wants to share weekly Strength routine with me ?

Options
Looking for a good routine with weight lifting for a beginner ... I have been exercising a lot for the past month but mostly cardio and need to move to the other side of the gym...where the "strong muscle guys" are... As I don't want to look ridiculous (and don't want to hurt myself !), I would love if somebody could share a good weekly routine ... I need to do that to break my weight plateau !!!

If there is an internet site with photos to show how to do it...That would be great.
Thanks

Replies

• Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I do strength training 5 days per week. As a beginner it might be best to start out using machines and then as you get familiar with proper body mechanics and which exercises work what muscles you may be able to progress to free weights if you like.

Mondays: Chest (bench press, chest flies)

Tuesday: Legs (leg press, hip adductor/abductor, prone hamstring curl)

Wednesday: Shoulders (sit in lateral deltoid machine, front arm raises with dumbells, military press)

Thursday: Arms - triceps and biceps (curls either with machine or free weights, dips on machine with assist)

Friday: Back (pull ups on machine with assist, seated row machine)

Do abs workouts 2-3 days weekly on days when you have a little extra time.

Hope this helps :)
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Oh! take those exercises and google them under images :)
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    If you are new to weight lifting, I highly recommend a personal trainer. Imho, a good one is worth their weight in gold. With a personal trainer, you can learn the right way from the beginning, before you have a chance to develop poor habits.There are certain exercises that I cannot do due to physical limitations, and the personal trainer worked around that, so I can still work the muscles in a different manner. Now that I have learned the correct form, I watch the "he-men" and think "they are going to get hurt!!"
  • samseed101
    samseed101 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Looking for a good routine with weight lifting for a beginner ... I have been exercising a lot for the past month but mostly cardio and need to move to the other side of the gym...where the "strong muscle guys" are... As I don't want to look ridiculous (and don't want to hurt myself !), I would love if somebody could share a good weekly routine ... I need to do that to break my weight plateau !!!

If there is an internet site with photos to show how to do it...That would be great.
    Thanks

If you are new (or fairly new) to strength training and are looking to build a good base for strength, then I HIGHLY suggest trying a program called "Starting Strength." It's a program by mark Rippetoe and has been proven to be highly successful time and time again. It's a very simply program, but it will absolutely work. One thing I can't stress enough is do NOT mess with the program by adding exercises or things you think they are leaving out. Do the program exactly as it is written and you will see results fairly quickly. Start messing with it and adding things like bicep curls, etc and you will wear yourself out.

There are literally thousands of success stories out there for the program. But to give you my personal perspective... When I first started out on that program I was around 212lbs and 22% bodyfat or so. My one rep max for the bench press was sitting somewhere around 115. I could only bench 115 and could only do it for one rep.

Less than one year later, I was sitting around 190lbs with 10 - 12% bodyfat. I was working out by benching 190 - 200lbs for sets of 8 to 10 and I was able to bench 245lbs for 1 - 2 reps.

Obviously, I've been continuing from there and changed my routine after I developed a good base. But that program helped me actually get to the next level as safely and as quickly as reasonably possible.
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    My husband and I, as beginniners, found great wisdom and help from the book Body For Life. There are tons of pictures and exercises for each area of the body. Lots of tips. The food lists are great too.
  • guerinusa
    guerinusa Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your insights.... I am going to try to do the right thing !!!
  • guerinusa
    Options

Thanks

If you are new (or fairly new)
    to strength training and are looking to build a good base for strength, then I HIGHLY suggest trying a program called "Starting Strength." It's a program by mark Rippetoe and has been proven to be highly successful time and time again. It's a very simply program, but it will absolutely work. One thing I can't stress enough is do NOT mess with the program by adding exercises or things you think they are leaving out. Do the program exactly as it is written and you will see results fairly quickly. Start messing with it and adding things like bicep curls, etc and you will wear yourself out.

There are literally thousands of success stories out there for the program. But to give you my personal perspective... When I first started out on that program I was around 212lbs and 22% bodyfat or so. My one rep max for the bench press was sitting somewhere around 115. I could only bench 115 and could only do it for one rep.

Less than one year later, I was sitting around 190lbs with 10 - 12% bodyfat. I was working out by benching 190 - 200lbs for sets of 8 to 10 and I was able to bench 245lbs for 1 - 2 reps.

Obviously, I've been continuing from there and changed my routine after I developed a good base. But that program helped me actually get to the next level as safely and as quickly as reasonably possible.

Thanks. I went online and found a book on Amazon. I am assuming that this is what you are talking about?
  • samseed101
    Options
    Yup, that's the one. Before buying the book, if you want to get a good idea of what the program is, check out the wiki page on it

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

And like I said before, i can't stress enough that you shouldn't add extra exercises to it. many people feel like they aren't hitting abs, triceps, or biceps enough with this routine,. but in reality you really are blasting them pretty hard due to the other compound exercises you are doing. This WILL work. :)
  • guerinusa
    Options
    Yup, that's the one. Before buying the book, if you want to get a good idea of what the program is, check out the wiki page on it

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

And like I said before, i can't stress enough that you shouldn't add extra exercises to it. many people feel like they aren't hitting abs, triceps, or biceps enough with this routine,. but in reality you really are blasting them pretty hard due to the other compound exercises you are doing. This WILL work. :)

Thanks I am going to try it. Do you know if by chance they have an ap for Iphone with this program? It's the best way to bring it to the gym.
  • samseed101
    Options
    Sorry. I'm not sure about that. I'm a "droid" guy myself ;)

Although one thing I have done in the past... if you google the program, you can find excel spreadsheets that contains the workout along with the weight increases. For awhile, i was using that to keep track of everything. I'm not sure what the iphone does for excel spreadsheets, but I imagine there must be some way to convert it or display it.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    If you've never trained before I would recommend that you get a little basic instruction on exercise form and tempo. It's easy for us to sit here and say "Military press - 2 sets of 4-6 @ 80% max, 1 set to failure @ 60%max" ,,, but if you've never done any weight training before you might not know what that is, or how to properly do it.

menshealth.com has videos online, many good sources. Do not just slide under a couple hundred pounds if you've never done this before. People DO get hurt in a weightroom. Be careful and have fun!

Ooh yeah, my routine. I'm off right now, but here's what I was doing. Will get back to it soon. I went through this twice, 3 days a week, and supplemented protein at the finish.

If this seems a lot in one session you could split this up. A good way would be like, all the "pull movements" M-W-F, and all the "Push movements" T-Th-Sat.

Dumb curls w/50 lbs, to failure - currently 5/6 (pull movement)
    Calf raises w/2-50lb dumbs, to failure - currently 20ish. (push movement)
    Pullups to failure - currently 5/6 (pull movement)
    Dips to failure - currently 12/13 (push movement)
    Dumb lunges w/2-50lb dumbs, to failure - currently 20ish. (legs)
    Lat raises to failure - currently 12/13 (pull movement)
    Dumb rows w/50 lbs, to failure - currently 15ish. (pull movement)
    Close grip bench presses w/100 lbs (tricep concentration), to failure - currently 12/13 (push movement)
    Shrugs w/50 lbs, to failure - currently 20ish (pull movement)
    Seated concentration curl w/20 lb dumb, - currently 20ish. (pull movement)
    Dumb flies w/50 lbs, to failure - currently 15/18 (push movement)
    Dumb clean & presses w/2-20lb dumbs, to failure - currently 20ish. (pull movement)