Conflicting number of Calories Burned

Options
Hi everyone, hopefully you guys can help me understand this: when I do the elliptical machine at the gym for 60 minutes it tells me I burn usually around 600 to 615 calories. I enter my weight and everything so it should be specific to my body, right? But when I search online (and also enter my weight) I get different input from websites telling me I've burned anywhere from 800 to 1000 calories doing that same hour on the machine.

I suppose I should believe the machine itself because it is (probably) taking into consideration what level I am doing it at too, right? Then again, I'm doing it at level 10, and it seems to me that websites which don't factor that in would likely factor a lower level, resulting in calories burned being below what the machine says, not 35% to 70% higher..... right?

Anyway I was hoping someone could help me understand and possibly also suggest a good website that has the most accurate calorie counter?

Thank you kindly!
~kerri

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different so the only way to really know an accurate number is to get a heart rate monitor. The machines and online formulas are just averages.
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    The machines are general to your TYPE of body and what the AVERAGE is, amongst men and women...it is very unspecific, even if you enter your personal information.

The best way is to get a heart monitor that shows calories burned. It is usually much higher than what the workout machines show.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    The best way is to get a heart monitor that shows calories burned. It is usually much higher than what the workout machines show.

For me it's always been the opposite, the machines show me burning more than I actually was. So, this is a great example of how everyone is different and getting a HRM is the way to go.
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options

For me it's always been the opposite, the machines show me burning more than I actually was. So, this is a great example of how everyone is different and getting a HRM is the way to go.

Very true!!