calorie/ pedometer tracker

Options
okay so i have this calorie/pedometer tracker... it's my fist time using it, so today i checked it and it said i burned 160 Kcal in my workout. I'm a little confused on how many calories i burned. I researched it and i know 1 Kcal = 1,000 calories. Dose that mean i burned 160,000 calories? i think that's too much for a workout..or is my calories tracker not working well??

Replies

• ricky_j_b
    ricky_j_b Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    who knew,,,,,,

KCAL stands for kilocalorie and it means 1000 calories. However, usage of the term "calorie" varies. The scientific definition is that a Calorie -- with an upper case "C" -- is the same as a KCAL. In common usage, calorie -- with a lower case "c" -- equals KCAL.

Energy Unit

KCAL is a unit measure of energy. It is equal to the heat energy needed to increase the temperature of a kilogram of water by 1 degree Celsius, according to the Netwellness website. A calorie refers to the amount of energy needed to heat up a gram of water by 1 degree.

Sponsored Links

Senior Balance Exercises Seniors Can Improve Balance And Prevent Falls With Simple Exercises TheBalanceManual.com

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/311197-how-many-calories-does-one-kcal-equal/#ixzz2DUDZTeaM
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Agree. The common word Calorie actually means kilocalorie (1000 calories). When we write it, it should have a capital C but generally it doesn't get used in common terminology