Thoughts: "body will hold onto fat if not eating enough"?

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    It's nonsense, trust your instincts

I will pass this along to my nutritionist. As a person with diabetes and chronic pancreatitis I have been to several nutirionalists and it is this simple. If you eat breakfast, a snack, lunch, a snack, dinner and a snack your body will typically burn more knowing it has more nutrients to run the body. If you eat a small snack for breakfast, a snack for lunch and a big dinner your body or you just eat one meal a day your body will store fat to have something to burn to maintain critical functions. This does not mean it will happen if you do this once a week but it is about pattern.

Once again, this affects every person differently.

Most people are concerned with net fat loss, rather than substrate utilization.

^ Or at least, most people should be concerned with net fat loss rather than substrate utilization =)
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Hollocaust Victims

many of them ate more calories than some mfp members
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options

I will pass this along to my nutritionist. As a person with diabetes and chronic pancreatitis I have been to several nutirionalists and it is this simple. If you eat breakfast, a snack, lunch, a snack, dinner and a snack your body will typically burn more knowing it has more nutrients to run the body. If you eat a small snack for breakfast, a snack for lunch and a big dinner your body or you just eat one meal a day your body will store fat to have something to burn to maintain critical functions. This does not mean it will happen if you do this once a week but it is about pattern.

LOL

no
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    It doesn't, you just slow your metabolism and end up gaining very easily if you try to eat more later. You'd have to under eat for a while before that would happen.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I talked to my dietician and fitness instructor at my gym, YMCA. He advised me to eat every calorie that I am suppose to because your body can go into what is called starvation mode. And yes, it is a real thing! LOL! I didn't believe at first, so I tried out his advice and when I upped my calories, I started seeing better results! It is weird and scary at first! Add me if you like, I will share any advice that I get at the gym!

24226140.jpg
  • Pentdad
    Options
    What did I see above, someone saying that if you locked a 400 lb man in a room for a year he wouldn't come out slim? If it were possible of course he would! He might look terrible (and kinda dead) but if he had been supplied with water he would have died a much slimmer man. No one seen what animals look like after they hibernate?

I gotta say, lots of mistruths flying around on this page. I suggest short sharp calorie reductions/intermittent fasting to be the big breakthrough in dieting in the last few years, but alot of you are just quoting old theory that says it is dangerous. Of course it is dangerous for a 90 lb woman to go to 300 calories for long periods of time, but isn't that just common sense?

Conclusion:

If you use more calories than you put in you will lose weight. The bigger the defecit, the larger the percentage of muscle you will lose. But a normal weight/overweight person will always lose more fat than muscle, and the occasional run of very low calorie days can really give a boost to any diet.
  • drmerc
    Options
    Bears are fat because they go into starvation mode when they hibernate
  • SideSteel
    Options
    And finally, if it was solely and simply calories in vs calories out, then a 400 pound man could lock himself in a room for a whole year and NEVER eat and come out skinny. This simply DOES NOT happen. Your body still needs food.

Just out of curiousity in case I'm misinterpreting this --- what do you expect to happen in the above scenario, aside from the 400lb man eventually dying due to nutrient deficiencies.
  • drmerc
    Options
    And finally, if it was solely and simply calories in vs calories out, then a 400 pound man could lock himself in a room for a whole year and NEVER eat and come out skinny. This simply DOES NOT happen. Your body still needs food.

Just out of curiousity in case I'm misinterpreting this --- what do you expect to happen in the above scenario, aside from the 400lb man eventually dying due to nutrient deficiencies.

We actually know what happens

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/pdf/postmedj00315-0056.pdf
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    What did I see above, someone saying that if you locked a 400 lb man in a room for a year he wouldn't come out slim? If it were possible of course he would! He might look terrible (and kinda dead) but if he had been supplied with water he would have died a much slimmer man. No one seen what animals look like after they hibernate?

Hibernation is completely different process than simply not eating for periods of time. It is completely, scientifically incorrect to relate the two.
  • SideSteel
    Options

^ Thanks for posting this. I actually mentioned this in my original reply but I removed it because I've only heard discussion about this study without actually being able to find this study. I'm reasonably certain this is the study referenced in the protein roundtable discussion (V1). I've been wanting to read this. You rule.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options

You should get a new nutritionist, if that is what they lead you to beleive

Ditto. And, if you have been to "several nutritionalists" that may be the issue, as there is no such word/title or credential as "nutritionAList". Might want to check the credentials of the people you have seen.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Just like anytime anyone gains weight, they gain fat and muscle.

gaining weight will not usually increase muscle mass unless you are also doing heavy resistance work of some kind

if someone sits on the couch and eats in a caloric surplus, they will not add any significant muscle mass

I'm know... I'm not talking about significant increases in mass, especially in a short time period. But someone who's been overweight for a number of years is going to have more lean mass than they did before they gained weight.

As a skinny teenager, I had a lean mass of about 90 pounds. Twenty-some years later, I have a lean mass of about 110 pounds. I'm doing heavy lifting NOW, but I didn't gain that 20 pounds of LBM in just the past year and a half of lifting. It happened gradually over time with maturity, weight gain, being more active, etc.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

That's the most interesting study I've seen in a while, thanks.

In b4 people try this without medical supervision.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I talked to my dietician and fitness instructor at my gym, YMCA. He advised me to eat every calorie that I am suppose to because your body can go into what is called starvation mode. And yes, it is a real thing! LOL! I didn't believe at first, so I tried out his advice and when I upped my calories, I started seeing better results! It is weird and scary at first! Add me if you like, I will share any advice that I get at the gym!

24226140.jpg

:laugh:

<3 Madea!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options
    Just like anytime anyone gains weight, they gain fat and muscle.

gaining weight will not usually increase muscle mass unless you are also doing heavy resistance work of some kind

if someone sits on the couch and eats in a caloric surplus, they will not add any significant muscle mass

I'm know... I'm not talking about significant increases in mass, especially in a short time period. But someone who's been overweight for a number of years is going to have more lean mass than they did before they gained weight.

As a skinny teenager, I had a lean mass of about 90 pounds. Twenty-some years later, I have a lean mass of about 110 pounds. I'm doing heavy lifting NOW, but I didn't gain that 20 pounds of LBM in just the past year and a half of lifting. It happened gradually over time with maturity, weight gain, being more active, etc.

This. LBM = everything that's not fat, muscle, connective tissue, water, organ size, etc.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    In my head, it stands to reason that a 400lb person will develop at least SOME additional LBM from carrying around 400lbs everywhere.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    This. LBM = everything that's not fat, muscle, connective tissue, water, organ size, etc.

Definition: What is Lean Body Mass (aka LBM)?
    Simply put, lean body mass is comprised of everything in your body besides body fat. Your lean body mass includes:

…and anything else in our bodies that has mass and is not fat.
    Definition: What is Lean Body Mass (aka LBM)?
    Simply put, lean body mass is comprised of everything in your body besides body fat. Your lean body mass includes:

…and anything else in our bodies that has mass and is not fat.

edit to say the pictures did not post
    found at built lean.com
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Interesting study. Maybe I missed it, but I wish they would have detailed fat loss vs. LBM loss - would have been an interesting data point.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    In my head, it stands to reason that a 400lb person will develop at least SOME additional LBM from carrying around 400lbs everywhere.

That's what I'm getting at. A 400 pound person is going to have a higher muscle mass than the average normal body weight person, because carrying an extra 200+ pounds everywhere is hard frickin' work.

There was a thread recently about a woman with 120-ish pounds to lose who had very nicely muscled calves, and wondered if she had those nice calf muscles from being overweight. Well... yeah! It takes a lot of strength to carry that much extra weight. It took me a while to build up to doing 120 pound swats... she's carrying that much extra all the time.