Vegetarian Chili (283cal) & Cornbread Muffins (149cal)

Options
pocketmole
pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
I just wanted to share two of the recipes from my blog (goudamonster.com - woo plug!) because I think they both turned out great. They've received rave reviews each time I've made them. Both recipes are really easy to throw together too.

Southwestern Vegetarian Chili

This recipe is actually vegan, not just vegetarian! If you're not a vegetarian you could use some kind of cooked lean ground meat, but remember that it will affect the calorie information if you do. :)

southwesternchili_sm.jpg
http://www.goudamonster.com/2012/11/southwestern-vegetarian-chili/

Ingredients

1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1-2 jalapeño peppers, diced (remove seeds for less heat)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can black beans, drained
1/2 package of ground meatless crumbles
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon pepper sauce
1 corn tortilla, torn into small pieces
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Instructions

Heat olive oil in a pot and cook the onion, garlic, and pepper until slightly soft and fragrant – about 5 minutes or so.
Add all remaining ingredients (except for the cilantro and corn tortilla) to the pot and bring to a simmer. When simmering, add the corn tortilla pieces. Cover, reduce heat, and let cook for 20-30 minutes.
Just before serving stir in the chopped cilantro. Yields 3 bowls.

Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins

I love this recipe because it yields a small number of muffins (just 6), meaning you don't have a ton to sit around and tempt you all night, hehe.

cornbreadmuffins_sm.jpg
http://www.goudamonster.com/2012/11/small-batch-jalapeno-cornbread-muffins/

Ingredients

1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup corn meal
1/4 cup dry polenta (this provides a texture that we enjoy, but you can use all corn meal if you don’t have polenta on hand)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
2 jalapeño peppers (remove seeds for less heat)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (you could use regular or soy milk, but it will increase the calorie count slightly)
1 1/2 teaspoons Ener-G egg replacer dissolved in 2 tablespoons of unsweetened almond milk (this is the equivalent of one egg)

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350F.
Put all dry ingredients + the peppers into a food processor and pulse until the jalapeños are roughly “chopped”. You will pulse the dough a few more times so don’t worry about making it too fine.
Add butter, olive oil, and cream cheese then pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
Pour in almond milk and egg replacer and pulse until the dough just comes together. Do not over mix or you may end up with tough muffins.
Spoon the mixture into your muffin tin, making six muffins. It will be thick so you may want to pat it down just a little. I leave it rough for a rustic texture on top (and because I’m lazy).
Bake for 20-24 minutes or until the muffins start to brown slightly at the edges.

Replies

• kristapennie
    kristapennie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm making this on the weekend, so excited to try it!
  • jjj1988
    jjj1988 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Jalapeño cornbread muffins sound amazing! Thanks
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    thanks for the recipes! can't wait!
  • njohnson1966
    njohnson1966 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • pocketmole
    Options
    I'm making this on the weekend, so excited to try it!

Excited to hear what you think! :]
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    These look delicious! The cornbread muffins could easily be made vegan using Earth Balance and vegan cream cheese. Chili is so good when the weather gets cold.

Thanks for the recipes!
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Going to try this!
    One question, for this ingredient: "1/2 package of ground meatless crumbles" can you give a more exact quantity, and can anyone suggest a brand (or substitute) that does NOT have milk or whey in the ingredients??
  • Jbadiam
    Jbadiam Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • kokoforskinny
    kokoforskinny Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Going to try this!
    One question, for this ingredient: "1/2 package of ground meatless crumbles" can you give a more exact quantity, and can anyone suggest a brand (or substitute) that does NOT have milk or whey in the ingredients??

I googled Ground Meatless Crumbles since I have never heard of this before. I don't know if you have a Wegmans by you. They sell it there for $3.39. The brand name is Boca Meatless Ground Cumples.
  • kokoforskinny
    kokoforskinny Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lamos1
    lamos1 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this recipe!! Will be trying this Saturday!!! Looks great!!!!
  • pocketmole
    Options
    Going to try this!

You're right - I should be more specific with what I used. The brand I used was Morningstar Farms and it comes in a 12oz package. I'm fairly certain they contain eggs but I -think- the Boca brand ones are vegan. For what it's worth I've made this chili using a whole package as well. Just up the seasonings to compensate and it's still super tasty. :]
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Yum...

Quick questions:

1) meatless crumbles - like quorn mince?

2) What's the difference between polenta and corn meal?

3) Jalapenos...any substitute? They're really hard to find fresh in my part of Australia.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    ooo sound fab! must try!
  • pocketmole
    Options
    Yum...

Quick questions:

1) meatless crumbles - like quorn mince?

2) What's the difference between polenta and corn meal?

3) Jalapenos...any substitute? They're really hard to find fresh in my part of Australia.

1. You are looking for something that is the equivalent to ground beef. Quorn makes a product like this called "grounds" in the US, which seems to be the same as Quorn "mince" in the UK :)

2. Polenta has a coarse grind whereas corn meal is more fine. Again though, this could be a difference that is unique to products in the US. The corn meal I tend to use for baking is like a coarse powder whereas the polenta has a more granular consistency.

3. I love Serrano chiles as well. You want to use something with a bit of kick. A bell pepper would be too mild and sweet, but a ghost chili or a habanero would be too crazy (for most people). Any pepper with a medium spice level should be ok I think :)
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Going to try this!

I googled Ground Meatless Crumbles since I have never heard of this before. I don't know if you have a Wegmans by you. They sell it there for $3.39. The brand name is Boca Meatless Ground Cumples.
    These look good, thanks!