getting into a routine- need help

Options
I just started working out technically Saturday but really Monday. Im trying to get into a routine but I need a bit of help. Just what exactly i should be doing.....
ill give you what i did today as an example:
AM: Swimming & Strength
PM: I tried a Dance Aerobics class but it was WAY too fast so i walked/ran on the treadmill.

I know it will be different for everyone but I didnt know if breaking it up was ok or if im doing too much (and i do take rest days) in a day?

Replies

• freindsofmine
    freindsofmine Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Looks good if you have time for am@pm.go for it .I like to get it out of way all in one ses.sion if you can handal it ,its not to much .
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Do whatever won't burn you out. Some good rules to follow are: Give your muscles at least 48 hours to recover from your previous strength training workout. You may need to go with lighter weight at first, and a little easier routine to get the proper form down, and to avoid excessive muscle soreness. Get plenty of rest, (that's when your body does most of it's work), It is better to slowly start, than to burn out quickly. If you find yourself feeling weak, and fatigued, take a rest day. If a muscle is sore, it is better to let it recover before working it again. When you first start working out, it may take a week before the soreness is gone. Make sure you get proper nutrition, try to aim to get some good carbs, and protein around your workouts.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Do whatever won't burn you out. Some good rules to follow are: Give your muscles at least 48 hours to recover from your previous strength training workout. You may need to go with lighter weight at first, and a little easier routine to get the proper form down, and to avoid excessive muscle soreness. Get plenty of rest, (that's when your body does most of it's work), It is better to slowly start, than to burn out quickly. If you find yourself feeling weak, and fatigued, take a rest day. If a muscle is sore, it is better to let it recover before working it again. When you first start working out, it may take a week before the soreness is gone. Make sure you get proper nutrition, try to aim to get some good carbs, and protein around your workouts.

Saturday i took a class, Sunday was rest, Monday was workout and then ill workout tomorrow/today but it will be light. Then tomorrow ill rest.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out .. and haven't worked out before (or in a long time) I suggest starting easy .. you don't wanna go gung ho and full throttle only to burn out too soon. :-)

If you are feeling comfortable taking it all on .. fantastic! It's always great to have that CAN DO attitude!! But there's also no shame in starting off with one thing .. and then adding to it :-)

Congrats on the start of a new routine!! Good luck to you and I wish you great success!! :flowerforyou:
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    It took me about 6 months to get to where I am now. I work out 4-5 days a week. I do strength training for about 45 minutes then I do 45 minutes of cardio. I do it all together in the morning. I'm just too tired to go in the evening. BUT if for some reason I can't go in the morning I make a point to go in the evening. I have about 40 more pounds to lose and it's been working pretty well for me. I hired a trainer to teach me how to strenght train. My gym has classes that basically do the strength training part. Sometimes I take them. Yeah the dancing classes are something that don't interest me. I've taken Step, Zumba and I spend the time in the back of the class doing my own thing usually. But it gets the calories burned.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I do a major workout twice a week on Sundays and Wednesdays where I warm up on the treadmill with walking and sprints for 10-15 minutes, then do 30-35 minutes of HEAVY lifting (big compound moves means true pain in less time!), the, 10-15 minutes of swimming laps to cool down, then some stretching and relaxing in the hot tub for a while.

Then I try to do a light workout at least 2 other days of the week which might consist of 30DS, Zumba, some calisthenics, climbing the 19 flights of stairs to my apt, or a half hour walk. I am thinking about replacing these two days with a 15 minute HIIT workout.

I would not try to do workouts twice a day or maybe even every day. Strength training definitely should not be more than 3 times a week MAX
  • BIGBENLAYDDD
    Options
    starting a routine you need to wake up at set times and go to bed at set times, i kickbox 4 times a week and swim 3 i ensure i wake up at 7:00AM and i am in bed no later than 22:00 I kmnow this can be hard if travelling with public transport but sorting bed times out worked wonders for me and i felt wide and awake and i had a schedule written and time diaries of when i work and when i can train.
  • Maybaby100
    Maybaby100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week sometimes 7, but if I do it is just a light walk. I am using the stronglifts 5x5 program and I do cardio on the other days. I lift M/W/F or S and walk/jog/elliptical/zumba on the other days. I've been focusing a lot on walking/jogging, because I want to run a 5k eventually. Right now I can only jog 1/4 mile split into 2 sections! It all takes time.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    starting a routine you need to wake up at set times and go to bed at set times, i kickbox 4 times a week and swim 3 i ensure i wake up at 7:00AM and i am in bed no later than 22:00 I kmnow this can be hard if travelling with public transport but sorting bed times out worked wonders for me and i felt wide and awake and i had a schedule written and time diaries of when i work and when i can train.

I think this is really important and we don't seem to talk about it much on MFP - good point on the sleep schedule!