Pear shaped women looking to loose just a few?

Options
Hi, I'm new here and looking for some friends that have the same issue I do. I'm not big (5'3, started at 127ish) but find it very hard to lose the few pounds that I want, especially from the thighs. I usually shed it from the chest and stomach area first ... my thighs usually stay exactly the same size. I'm really hoping to shed a total of 8 pounds or so by December 20. So far, amazingly, I've dropped 4 (but I think most of that is water weight). The feeling of being cold that comes with being hungry is the worst! Not sure I can last until the loss hits the thighs - so looking for friends to keep each other motivated!

Replies

• Charie1981
    Charie1981 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me I am pear shaped to and looking for friends.
  • hwatt413
    Options
    My thighs always hold onto the weight the longest, very frustrating. Losing 4lbs, water weight or whatever, is still a big accomplishment. Be proud of that and keep looking forward. If you find yourself feeling cold, look for low calorie soups to keep you warm. Progresso and Campbell's both make some that taste really good and are low in calories, or there are a lot of websites online that have recipes if you like to cook. The key is not to feel hungry, but to lower the amount of calories you are eating. Sounds weird, but it works. Good luck with your weight loss!!!

You can add me if you want!!
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Hey :) I'm a pear too! I'm 5'5 and 113, I've lost about 8-7 pounds and now I'm working on getting in better shape.. I think what makes it better is strength training, especially squats and lunges. My thighs and butt look much better now than when I started.
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I'm an overweight pear-shaped woman too! so hard to shed the fats in the bottom :sad:
  • kmkgurl
    kmkgurl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Add me! im pear shaped and 5'1 tall!
  • squashyhelen
    squashyhelen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    That soup idea is great, I'll be sure to pick some up on my way to work tomorrow. So tired of being cold for this last week! Maybe this is silly, but I had always been afraid that if I did squats, all that will happen is that I would grow muscle without losing any fat - is this a totally wrong impression?
  • maadd
    maadd Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey I'm pear-shaped too! It's so good to meet others with the same problem - it can be really frustrating to lose weight from the wrong places. I lost weight for the first time in my life a couple of weeks back - 1.5kg - except it was from my torso area!!! Looking for friends on Fitness Pal atm, I've just started to use it again after straying from my diet for a week.
    Squashy Helen, never be afraid to do squats!!! They'll make your thighs & bum nicely toned, they'll only bulk up if you're consuming the same amount of calories to maintain your weight, or more. So in other words, be sure to do them in conjunction with dieting. But go for it!! :)
  • maadd
    maadd Posts: 2
    Options
    Oh & muscles burn more calories anyway!
  • yanitayzalo
    Options
    :laugh: :wink: :wink: im pear shaped too and 5.1" fell free to add me i could really use some advise and motivation
  • stubbseyt
    stubbseyt Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i wish i was pear shaped! i have no flaming butt and my thighs are ridiculous! not so my stomach tho, its going but slowly. the thing i found interesting tho, and what i thought u might find so too is that, i have noticed that different diets make me lose weight in different places!

i did weight watchers last year and was losing it all from my top half, exactly where i wanted and i was happy, but the carbs just had me hooked and after about 6 months the diet wasn't working, well i wasn't working with it either... anyway i decided to switch back the atkins diet which i had done before and worked. since then i have been doing so much better and all the weight i am losing seems to be coming off my hips legs and butt (where i actually don't need it).

maybe it might benefit some of you to try switching for a while.
  • Big_Chunky_Laydd
    Options
    Pear shaped women are perfect. Keep that in mind.
  • ifonlyy
    Options
    I have the same problem! I'm taller than most of you though, 173 cm (about 5'7). I have a slim upper body, that's the only place I lose weight! Whenever I do squats it burns my quads but not really my bum or thighs though :(
  • nicnactoo
    nicnactoo Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here and looking for some friends that have the same issue I do. I'm not big (5'3, started at 127ish) but find it very hard to lose the few pounds that I want, especially from the thighs. I usually shed it from the chest and stomach area first ... my thighs usually stay exactly the same size. I'm really hoping to shed a total of 8 pounds or so by December 20. So far, amazingly, I've dropped 4 (but I think most of that is water weight). The feeling of being cold that comes with being hungry is the worst! Not sure I can last until the loss hits the thighs - so looking for friends to keep each other motivated!

I have the exact same problem: 5'3, 118lbs currently, hate my thighs so much which feel disproportionately big and chunky. I am a runner, so have muscle under all that fat somewhere!
    Add me if you like.
  • squashyhelen
    squashyhelen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    ]anyway i decided to switch back the atkins diet which i had done before and worked. since then i have been doing so much better and all the weight i am losing seems to be coming off my hips legs and butt (where i actually don't need it).

Wait - more details! Has anyone else noticed that having less carbs makes the weight come off faster from the thighs? I confess a weakness for sweets and used to get most of my carbs that way. Atkins just seems so hard, but I would consider trying it if those thighs can disappear...
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I'm taller, about 5'10" and 145 and would say I'm pear shaped too. I'm at a point where my upper body is pretty skinny, and have tiny boobs, lol. However, my hips and thighs are proportionately much bigger and not in a nice full butt way either. I'm focusing on maintaining my weight, but doing strength training to attempt to reshape myself. Not sure how to get my boobs back though without surgery, lol
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    That soup idea is great, I'll be sure to pick some up on my way to work tomorrow. So tired of being cold for this last week! Maybe this is silly, but I had always been afraid that if I did squats, all that will happen is that I would grow muscle without losing any fat - is this a totally wrong impression?

You won't build muscle on a calorie deficit (even newbie muscle) without weight training, squats will just firm you up! So don't worry!
  • tripodsmom
    tripodsmom Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    thats me pear shaped, hard to lose the inches in the legs. i find that they build muscle better than my arms do though.
  • tripodsmom
    tripodsmom Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    thats me to only 5'8 and 165 lol
  • ifonlyy
    Options
    I'm taller, about 5'10" and 145 and would say I'm pear shaped too. I'm at a point where my upper body is pretty skinny, and have tiny boobs, lol. However, my hips and thighs are proportionately much bigger and not in a nice full butt way either. I'm focusing on maintaining my weight, but doing strength training to attempt to reshape myself. Not sure how to get my boobs back though without surgery, lol

Same here, I'm pear shaped but my hips and thighs don't make me look all 'curvy and volumptious' like they do for many others!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and I'm pear shaped (getting more noticeable as I get older). I hit my goal weight but still working on the hips/butt/thighs area. I eat at maintenance and work out 5x a week for about 40min. Running has done a LOT for my thighs. They're not really any smaller but they are much better toned. I run 3x/week and then 2 days of strength. For legs/thighs/butt, I do squats, calf raises and lunges with a dumbbell in each hand. I also work upper body to try to build it up a little to create a more even body shape. Here's my workout routine if anyone's interested (I change it every month or so and swap out exercises that are a little different but work the same muscles):

Mon/Wed/Fri - treadmill for 30min, abs for 10min (various crunches, planks and boat pose)
    Tues - 3 sets, 12 reps, 7.5lbs in each hand: chest press, row, tricep kickback, bicep curl
    Thurs - 3 sets, 12 reps (20 of calf raises), 7.5lbs in each hand: alternating shoulder press, squats, bent arm side raise, lunges, calf raises

ETA: feel free to add me if you are the OP or anyone else :) I'm on every day though I no longer log my food on weekends/holidays.